ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missile to the Moon (1958)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're drifting off-topic, Bud.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:

Well, you can do that when you've got God-like Site Admin powers. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
orzel-w wrote:

Well, you can do that when you've got God-like Site Admin powers. Very Happy

"R.H.I.P., Captain. Rank has its privileges."
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
A discussion should be allowed to wander into related subjects that occur to the members, simply through free association.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Eventually the discussion wanders back to the original movie in a natural manner. But without the tangent it went off on for a while, it might not have been energized by new ideas that came out of the "off topic" comments.

My own reluctance to participate in tangents/hijacks/detours comes from a few people I know who, in face-to-face "conversation", don't even allow you the courtesy of finishing your opening sentence on a topic. As soon as something in your statement sparks an association with something in their head, they butt in and redirect the subject to whatever's of interest to them. In other words, it's not a conversation. You're only serving as an idea generator for their discourse.

It's harder to do that in an online forum, but I've seen instances where the first person to respond to the initial post of a new thread will change the subject. The originator of the thread is left behind in the dust.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
It's harder to do that in an online forum, but I've seen instances where the first person to respond to the initial post of a new thread will change the subject. The originator of the thread is left behind in the dust.

Left behind in the dust? Really?

Remember, the initial post is still there, and the members are free to ignore any reply that doesn't interest them — whether it's the first reply or the tenth. It's not like a real conversation where you feel obliged to smile and nod and pretend to listen to the rant of a total bore who won't shut up.

Anybody can bring the post back to the original topic . . . if they're interested in that topic. But if they aren't interested, perhaps the "off topic" remark is actually more worthy of a response.

And we all know the worst thing that can happen on a message board is not off topic replies. The worse thing is no replies at all! Message boards are slowly dying out, and I work my ass off trying to encourage discussions on All Sci-Fi. In fact, many of our more active members are doing the same thing, and I'm grateful to them for that. Cool

So, if the discussions wander around a little, that's okay. At least people are providing material to talk about.

Look at this thread, for example. Your comment brought up an interesting point and gave us all something to think about. However, as soon as somebody thinks of a new comment to add about Missile to the Moon, we'll be right back to that subject. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting point that leads me to a tangential topic. But since that would be a tangent to a tangent, I'll start a new thread on it. Wink

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a tangent to a tangent a "co-tangent"?

Or is it a "sine" of something else?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

The wacky all-women society in this movie obviously coincides with the subterranean colonies inside lunar lava tubes we've discussed in the thread called Gigantic Lava Tube Could Be Home for Moon Colonists.

Gord Green thought WAY outside the box when he suggested that the Moon was actually a living being! Shocked

In this low-buget movie we see "rock creatures" detach themselves from the lunar terrain and attack the astronauts — creatures which seem to have both eyes and noses on their stony "faces"!

~ A Question for the Members: Is it possible that this "living Moon" which Gord envisioned has white blood cells which attack invaders? Shocked

And just how do the luscious "lunar ladies" fit into this strange cosmological organism? Confused

Enjoy this crazy little movie, compliments of YouTube. Very Happy

______ Missile to the Moon 1958 FULL MOVIE HD

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting Missile to the Moon on All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room (< — LINK) list in the thread devoted to in UPCOMING ALL SCI-FI MOVIES IN THE CHAT ROOM..

Meanwhile, here's the well-colorized version of it from YouTube.

_________ Missile to the Moon (1958) Colorized

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 11 trivia items for this production. I wasn't impressed with 10 of them, but the last one made me laugh! Very Happy

~ The tray of food which is served to the Earth people includes Girl Scout cookies — Samoas, Trefoils, Tagalongs.

Good lord, if this doesn't suggest a funny parody of this alleged remake of Cat Women of the Moon, I don't know what does!

For example, imagine this.

An expedition journeys to the Moon and discovers the remnants of a race of elderly alien women — blue-haired grannies who adore cats and keep hundreds of them around their underground habitat.

And what tasty snacks do these adorable lunar grandmas serve their guest from Earth? Why, Girl Scout cookies, of course! Very Happy

But these Cat Grannies of the Moon have spiked the cookies with a drug to make the astronauts groggy and obedient. Sad

Their hidden agenda is make these astronauts take the extraterrestrial octogenarians back to Earth so they can enjoy the benefits of Earth's finest "assisted living facilities" — not mention their desperate need to get all the cat neutered to prevent the Moon from ending up ass-deep in inbred felines! Shocked

However, the astronauts learn that the Cat Grannies also plan to liberate Earth's feline population from the tyrannical rule of mankind and unleash a "cat invasion" which would turn Earth into a Cattus Paradisum — which the actual Latin term for "cat paradise"! Shocked

Every household would be inundated with cats, and mankind would be their slaves, forced to serve these soulless and selfish creatures!

Exactly how this strange and disturbing tale would end is not yet clear. Perhaps some of you guys could suggest a conclusion. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: