ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of the World (1931)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: End of the World (1931) Reply with quote

I learned about this French movie today from a website called Flickchart which lists science fiction movies from the 1930s.

I read the Wikipedia summary of the plot, and you can too by Google "End of the World (1931)" and clicking on the Wikipedia link.

What I learned is this is one ka-razy movie! The short version is this.

And astronomer discovers a comet that might hit the Earth, and when the news is made public, the global economy collapses. But the world's various countries eventually vow to band together intp one planetary government if the comet misses Earth.

In the conclusion, it does! Mankind is united!

That sounds a like a great movie, but the full summary on Wikipedia reveals the fact that the story includes corrupt maneuvers by entrepreneurs to use the financial chaos to get rich, along with a rape scene and several puzzling religious elements in the story which sound plumb wacky, to me honest. Rolling Eyes

For example, the Wikipedia summary includes this comment.

People around the world begin to pray as the comet looms larger in the sky and extreme weather ensues including blizzards, storms, tidal waves.

Riots break out and a thousand elite revelers bring musicians into a great hall for a feast and an orgy. Monks carrying candles interrupt the orgy and lead the group in prayer.

Yes sirree, nothing breaks up an orgy quicker than the arrival of monks carrying candles! That kills the mood pronto . . .

Like I said, this movie sounds plumb wacky. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just to add to the list of science fiction movies we discuss here on All Sci-Fi I thought I'd throw this one into the mix.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: