ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Car (1977)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: The Car (1977) Reply with quote

In a small desert town a large black sedan with a big loud rig air-horn is killing people. As the Police get involved, and their numbers get whittled down, it becomes increasingly obvious that the Car is no ordinary automobile. The Car's origin and nature are unknown, but there are clues. Like it's invulnerability, and it's inability to enter the hallowed ground of a cemetery.

I don't want to say anymore, except to say to watch the fireball at the end.

George Barris made four cars for the movie. A hero car for closeups and three others for the stunts. Only the hero car survived the movie, and is in a private collection. The car's windshields and windows had smoked tinting on the inside, and amber tinting on the outside. This is so you couldn't see the driver from the outside of the car, but the driver could see out with no trouble. The double tinting also gave the windows a strange, different look.

It is an enjoyable mid-budget horror film with good effects and stunts and dependable, recognizable actors.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just can't resist the urge to suggest a tagline for a sequel to this movie.

In The Car, the driverless Lincoln Continental was . . . possessed!

Now it's back! That's right, The Car has been . . . repossessed!

______________ The Car (1977) Official Trailer

___________ THE CAR (1977) - The Kill Counter

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Sorry, I just can't resist the urge to suggest a tagline for a sequel to this movie.

In The Car, the driverless Lincoln Continental was . . . possessed!

Now it's back! That's right, The Car has been . . . repossessed!

(Smacks forehead)

Oh Bud… you AUTO be ashamed of yourself. Rolling Eyes
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just call me Doctor Mirth! Laughing

I cure the ills of the world by dolling out humor wherever I go. After all, they say that laughter is the best medicine, right?

If that's true, why don't doctors give all their patients nitrous oxide? You know . . . laughing gas! I'd have thought that was obvious! In fact, I actually asked my doctor that question.

Seriously! Confused

She just laughed at me! (Ironic, eh?) Shocked

However, here's what Wikipedia says about nitrous oxide.

Nitrous oxide has significant medical uses, especially in surgery and dentistry, for its anesthetic and pain reducing effects.

Its colloquial name "laughing gas", coined by Humphry Davy, is due to the euphoric effects upon inhaling it, a property that has led to its recreational use as a dissociative anesthetic.

It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.

It is also used as an oxidizer in rocket propellants, and in motor racing to increase the power output of engines.

Gawd-a'mighty! This stuff is miraculous! Shocked

I think I'll write a short story about a starship whose crew is desperately searching for a planet which has a treasure trove of valuable minerals that will make them rich.

Just as they're running low on fuel and supplies, they manage to land on a planet at the edge of the galaxy's unexplored region. Fortunately this planet is populated by friendly humanoid aliens who welcome them with open arms! Very Happy

The starship crew soon realizes that ever since they landed on the planet they've all felt remarkably happy! Eventually they discover that nitrous oxide is a primary element in the atmosphere!

The starship crewmen decide that this planet and it's generous inhabitants would be the perfect stop-over for explorational ships like their own — the kind of starships which are on the verge of venturing into the galaxy's uncharted regions.

The planet with the friendly aliens would be the perfect place for these ships to refuel, replenish their supplies, and enjoy the generous hospitality of the friendly alien hosts! Very Happy

And, of course, the happy "atmosphere" of the planet would be real plus! Wink

The small group of humans from the original starship who discovered the planet would strike a lucrative deal with the planet's aliens. The deal would be authorize them to book reservations for all explorational starships who wanted to stop over on this friendly planet before venturing into the dark and unknown realms of the galaxy beyond!

Eventually the crew of the starship realizes that the "treasure trove of riches" they'd desperately hoped to find turned out to be this planet — a place where they could help provide interstellar explorers a Shangri-La sort of stopover on their way into the dangerous and unknown regions of the galaxy!

Hey, I think this would be damn good story! Any thoughts, guys? After all, that what All Sci-Fi is for!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my wisdom teeth I had to have removed by an Oral Surgeon. I was given "laughing gas", but I never noticed any euphoric effects.

But by the time my Dentist sent me to the surgeon, I had been awake for close to 48 hours and received 2 shots of novocane. The Oral Surgeon gave me another shot, and gas. So the lack of sleep and the relief from the pain may have had something to do with not noticing any effects from the gas. Laughing

In New Orleans they used to sell "Poppers" around Mardi Gras, before they were banned. They were a small cartridges of nitrous oxide, about half the size of a standard Co2 cartridge, that were inserted into a spay device that you would inhale. I remember walking to work, and the streets and sidewalks were littered with hundreds of these small grey cartridges. I think that is what got them banned, all the litter.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear me, David — your youthful experiences are so much less pleasant than mine! I feel like I must have led a sheltered childhood by comparison! Sad

Even the extraction of my wisdom teeth was less unpleasant then yours . . . along with several other teeth I had pulled before I wore braces for two years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: