ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadpool (2016)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Deadpool (2016) Reply with quote

Here's what IMDB says about this movie.

This is the origin story of former Special Forces operative turned mercenary Wade Wilson, who after being subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, adopts the alter ego Deadpool. Armed with his new abilities and a dark, twisted sense of humor, Deadpool hunts down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

Wikipedia begins their section about the critical response with these items.

On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 84% based on 288 reviews, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Fast, funny, and gleefully profane, the fourth-wall-busting Deadpool subverts superhero film formula with wildly entertaining — and decidedly non-family-friendly — results."

On Metacritic, the film has a score of 65 out of 100 based on 49 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A" on an A+ to F scale.

Definitely sounds like a movie I would enjoy! Very Happy

________________________ Deadpool - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 18, 2021 2:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when superheroes were just for kids?

Batman comic books, the Amazing Adventures of Superman TV series, little boys running around in the backyard with towels pinned around their necks?

Wow . . . those were days, eh?

However, do NOT share this movie with your young children. By the end of it they'll have a working knowledge of profanity that would rival a sailor, and they won't need that fatherly discussion about the "birds and the bees". Plus, when the family car goes past a really bad accident on the highway, you won't need to tell the kids to look away — 'cause they'll have seen worse already. Rolling Eyes

Does all that sound like I'm criticizing this movie?

Actually I'm not. It's magnificent! Cool

At last, a popular film which proves that mixing humor with gritty realism is not a misguided attempt to have your cake and eat it too! It's a recipe for wall-to-wall entertainment that makes you want to stop by the ticket booth on your way out of the theater and give them more money, 'cause you got your money's worth in the first half-hour of the film! Very Happy

The writing for this movie is right up there with the best in Hollywood, and they kept it up for an hour and forty-eight minutes — which is an impressive feat!

Anyway, I'm delighted to have been born early enough to idealize George Reeves as Superman, and still live long enough to enjoy Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. It's given me a well-rounded education on the subject of costumed crime fighters.

And yet, my favorite superheroes are still the Bowmen — my own quartet of mask vigilantes — because they wisecrack with the best of 'em, and the climax involves an exploding head and other life-threatening gunshot wounds.

Not to mention some spectacular locations, as shown in the illustrated version I created just for the members of All Sci-Fi! Very Happy

The difference between The Hero Experience and every other superhero comic book, novelization, or movie ever made is the fact it's about the very teenagers in the 1960s who made the genre come alive and evolve into the billion-dollar phenomenon it is today! Shocked

And the four teenagers in The Hero Experience actually prove they can be superheros in 1967 without superpowers of any kind! They do it all with just imagination, determination, and sincere naive innocence.

It's the purest "superhero" story of them all. It's a story about real people in the real world, doing real things that seem impossible . . . until they actually do them.

If you haven't read The Hero Experience yet, take a few minutes to scroll down through chapter 23 and enjoy the pictures of the place where the climax takes occurs.

I can hardly wait 'til they make it into a movie! Very Happy

~ If you'd rather read the print version instead of the free one here on All Sci-Fi with my gorgeous illustrations, you can buy it from Amazon (it has a 5-Star rating) for under twenty bucks! The Kindle version is about half that price. Very Happy

But as I mentioned, the All Sci-Fi version is free . . . with illustrations. Gee, tough choice, eh?
Wink

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 18, 2021 4:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rick
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably my third or fourth favorite superhero movie ever.

I'm sick to death of comic book movies, but I'm still eagerly looking forward to DEADPOOL 2 -- even recognizing that the sequel very, very rarely matches up to the original.

Bring it on.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few items from IMDB about this movie, along with a related picture and a few YouTube videos. (Damn, I just get better and better at this! Cool )

In the opening credits, there is a People Magazine floating around with the headline "Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Man Alive." It is an actual issue of the magazine that featured Reynolds as the "Sexiest Man Alive" (2010).

The opening credits was originally a placeholder, but Tim Miller found the parody titles funny enough to put in the movie. As a bonus, due to no actual names being in it, the filmmakers were not required to abide by guild rules about crew and actor credits.

________________ Deadpool Opening Credits

_________

On Halloween, Ryan Reynolds dressed up as Deadpool. Footage of this can be seen on YouTube and is included in the special features section on the Blu-Ray copy of the movie.

____ Deadpool VIRAL VIDEO - Halloween (2015)

_________

Stan Lee jokingly said that his biggest complaint about his cameo (as a DJ in the strip club) is that he didn't get to spend enough time with the attractive actresses playing the strippers.

Note from me: The trivia item above conflicts with the statements in the YouTube video below. Somebody doesn't have their facts straight! Shocked

__ Deadpool: Stan Lee 'Mad' About Strip Club Cameo

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 18, 2021 3:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember how Deadpool looked in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)? Also played by Ryan Reynolds. This was before he got his dress tights and sense of humor. (Well, he couldn't even talk, so no wisecracks.)

. . . . .

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I did a little research on that subject, and the general consensus among Marvel fans is that the whole Weapon X thing in Wolverine: X-Men Origins was a huge mistake. Sad

The bottom line is that the comic book origin and the movie origin of Deadpool are both inconsistent with the stuff we see in Wolverine: X-Men Origins.

Prior to becoming Deadpool as a result of his disparate efforts to defeat cancer, he was a normal human who'd developed both amazing martial arts and weapons skills. He used these during his time in military.

But his superhuman strength and his astounding regenerative skills were all the result of the horrible experiment he suffered at the beginning of Deadpool.

On a unrelated note, I was delighted to see Ryan Reynolds' name in the closing credits of the two movies as both producer and writer! Apparently Mr. Ryan is much more than just a pretty-boy actor in makeup that makes him look hideously deformed! Very Happy

His creative contributions to these movies include both on-screen and off-screen efforts to make them the rip-roaring roller coaster rides we've all enjoyed! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: