ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life Returns (1935)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Life Returns (1935) Reply with quote

Over at Les échos d’Altaïr blogsite http://morbius.unblog.fr/ I learned of a sci-fi movie we don't have a thread for, Life Returns (1935).

Details at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Returns and https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025391/

Full movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuFzTjxcVOA (1 hour 29 minutes 47 seconds).

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eadie! I haven't watched this yet, but I'm looking forward to it! Cool.

_______ Life Returns (SciFi Movie in Full Length)

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Uses footage from actual University of Southern California experiment in which scientists claimed they brought a dead dog back to life. Robert E. Cornish, playing himself in the film, was one of the scientists involved.

Note from me: Modern medicine can resuscitate patients who are "clinically dead" and bring them back to life if the person hasn't sustained significant brain damage — in which case they are pronounced "legally dead".

What Dr. Robert E. Cornish was doing, according this article was nothing more than reviving brain-dead dogs with methods that have been greatly approved today.

~ The story opens with a signed affidavit as follows:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: The actual experiment of bringing the dead back to life, which is part of the motion picture "Life Returns", was performed by myself and staff on May 22, 1934 at 11:45 P.M. in Berkeley, California.

This part of the picture was originally taken to retain a permanent scientific record of our experiment. Everything shown is absolutely real. The animal was unquestionably and actually dead, and was brought back to life.

May I offer my thanks to my assistants, Mario Margutti, William Black, Ralph Celmer and Roderic Kneder, who are shown carrying out their respective parts. Respectfully submitted, Dr. Robert E. Cornish.

Note from me: As I said above, doctors can resuscitate animals and patients long after they've sustained brain damage. But doing so only revives the body, not the brain of the organism. Sad

~ The author, Eugene Frenke (husband of actress Anna Sten), sued Universal for $145,424 claiming that the studio failed to release the picture through normal channels.

Note from me: I'm not sure what this means. What are "normal channels", and how are films released in other ways?

~ Banned in England during its initial release and never subsequently shown there

Note from me: I wonder what the Brit's objection was to this film's portrayal of a dead dog being restored to life for the young boy who loved him? Seems kinda nutty to me. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: