ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E from Nemesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The “tuning fork” decals went on between the bussard collectors without too much incident:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Fork Decal by Steve J, on Flickr

Yesterday I added Aztecs to the upper bridge superstructure as well as the dark blue dome on top. Not everything you see in this photo is decal though as I did a number of medium grey panels with a brush. The decals fought me from the start and I had to perform some miraculous recoveries refloating with warm water to save a few. The tip of the dark grey “scythe” on the starboard side at the front got irreparably mangled so I will need to either paint or add a section of cadaver decal to restore the tip. No big deal:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Bridge and Superstructure Aztecs by Steve J, on Flickr

The dome decal went on the easiest after I took my time cutting it out from the decal sheet with a sharp exacto knife.
After positioning and tamp down with a swab using Micro Sol, I brushed it with Solvaset which got rid of any remaining wrinkles of which there weren’t many:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Bridge and Superstructure Aztecs by Steve J, on Flickr

After a few coats of Solvaset:

ST Modeler included these tiny added “window” or “ports” or somethings for added detailing, it also includes the round access ports for the aft end of the main upper superstructure that will fit nicely on the photo-etched:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Extra Detail Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Wed May 26, 2021 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. The top decals have gone on very well:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Upper Saucer Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Decided to add the thin black panel lines on top and sides of the main shuttle bay control room as seen in the CGI image.

Using some leftover decal material from a 1/2500 Enterprise D kit I carefully sliced sections of thin black stripes to lay atop the saucer shuttle bay control room:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Donor Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

The black stripes I cut off the leftover donor decal sheet were used to make the panel lines seen on the top and sides of the shuttle bay control room. Using decal material was the only way to make these lines as I could not foresee being able to make such extremely thin lines using a brush. After the decals set I brushed on a coat of Future hence the glossy finish:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Shuttle Bay Control Room Panel Lines by Steve J, on Flickr

Finished up aztecing the upper saucer. Spent an hour poking holes thru the windows openings before giving them all an individual good brushing with Solvates to shrink the decal film down tight inside the opening prior to filling with Krystal Klear:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Upper Saucer Aztecs Done by Steve J, on Flickr

While working on the saucer I covered the nacelles and the aft end of the secondary hull with a wax paper bag salvaged from an empty box of Cheerios. It fits nicely over the nacelles as well as the saucer to protect the areas already decaled from getting nicked or rubbed:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Wax Paper Bag by Steve J, on Flickr

I like how the Raytheon Effect looks under the decal. Still need to add the RCS thruster decals and the escape pods. Once those are on I’ll spray with Glosscote before applying the ships registry and insignia decals. Also any stripes or additional detail decals:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Upper Saucer Aztecs Lit by Steve J, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Wed May 26, 2021 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS time consuming as the physical construction and finessing was, it looks like the decal applications are even harder! Great job!
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video showing current progress...

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Current Status Video by Steve J, on Flickr

Next thing will be aztecs for the upper secondary hull followed by the lower secondary hull.
Seal entire ship with Glosscote before adding ship’s name and registry decals and stripes.
And any additional hatches or whatever detail decals I want to add.

Very Happy
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for no posts in awhile Enterprise E enthusiasts. This will be a somewhat wordy post.

I know . . . you are all shocked! Rolling Eyes

Here we go . . .

After finally figuring out what they were, I cut out several of these bits from the ST Modeler decal sheet. These extremely small markings get spaced evenly around the sides of the phaser strips. The ends of the phaser strips get a half circular decal and I had already done those.

Honestly, I debated even putting these on but thought they might help add a little scale to the ship if placed carefully and evenly.

So, in for a penny, in for a pound or something like that, and I took the plunge.

Also shown are the sharp pointy tweezers to pick up and soak each individual decal in warm water and a scribing tool (?) with a screw nut to lock in a measurement, to use for spacing the decals. This will add hours more to this build as each decal can take up to a minute to pick up, soak, place with a brush, and settle down.

There are 130 decals alone for the long arcing upper and lower phaser strips on the saucer not to mention the others aft and elsewhere:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Tiny Phaser Strip Node Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

There are 66 of these "nodes”, as I am calling them, on the long loop on top of the saucer and 64 on the two on the bottom; at least according to the blueprints of the Sovereign I have seen online.

This image is at the start but it ended up taking me at least 2 hours for this one section and the one opposite it on the port side. Thankfully it gets faster as you go along and gain experience and can mirror.

I am using a synthetic flat soft brush which is amber colored to pick up and place the decals. The decals show up well against the amber.

Once on the model I position them using the brush and a toothpick, Then I used MicroSet to tamp them down with a cotton swab. Later I will brush with Solvaset.

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Tiny Phaser Strip Node Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

I applied Aztecs to the forward lower secondary hull just aft of the deflector dish.

The dark grey recessed panel in front of the phaser strip required three treatments with Solvaset to get it to finally shrink down tight with no air bubbles. You can also see a line of four oblong circles in the middle of the deflector trench I added to match the Soveregn blueprints I found on the internet:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Secondary Hull Aztec Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Finished applying the upper secondary hull and strongback aztec and panel decals. Had to trim the black “inverted bell curve” shaped decal to fit the sidewalls of the shuttlebay porch after the Nemesis modifications.

Still need to add spine stripes and the sickle shaped decal in front of the clamshell doors. Also have a couple of docking ports for the secondary hull to add:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Strongback Aztec and Panel Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

These are the remaining Aztec and panel decals for the sides and underside of the secondary hull:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Last of the Aztec Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

I saved these remnants from when I trimmed the decal to fit the sidewalls I had added to make the Nemesis version of the E. I should be able to use them as donors to add the borders to the decal on the model:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Strongback Bell Curve Decal Remnants by Steve J, on Flickr

It really helps to cut these larger decals up into sections before soaking and placement. Less chance of the decals ripping, folding, or wrinkling which they tend to do at the slightest provocation.

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Strongback Aztec Decal Low Light by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up . . .

Docking ports and wing dings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: