ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repo Man (1984)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Repo Man (1984) Reply with quote

____ Repo Man (1984) - Original Theatrical Trailer

Repo Man is truly unique — its sci-fi element is sort of on the side, a sidelight.

Most of the story concerns disaffected youth, primarily young ruffian Otto (Emilio Estevez), who ends up joining a sleazy repo car outfit headed by Harry Dean Stanton after his life goes into the dumps.

The film is watchable just for the colorful characters and strange turns to the plot. You expect it to be about the art of repossessing cars — and there is that — but then much of the plot diverts to some weird conspiracy involving government agents who are after a '64 Chevrolet driven by a mad scientist, with a the trunk containing alien forces that vaporize anyone who dares open it.

Otto also runs into a possible new girlfriend who is being pursued by the government, but true to the cynical nature of this film, she eventually betrays him.

________

Since most of the main characters are involved in "auto work" and the 2nd plot involves an auto possessed by alien forces, it stands to reason that the two plots will eventually converge.

That's what the audience waits for, and it's the hook of the film. The other key character is a truly bizarre employee of the repo company, a mechanic played by Tracey Walter who always goes off on bizarre ruminations and daft observations, some of which seems conspiracy oriented.

Most of his dialog comes off as silly and not that profound, but he ends up as the one who can make meaningful contact with the possessed auto.

So, in essence, the possessed auto is repossessed by the one true lunatic of the repo company!

In the end, the alien auto represents escape for Otto (auto, eh?) and the Mechanic, away from the corrupt forces on Earth and into the clean environs of outer space. Oh, in case it's not clear, this is a dark comedy, directed by Alex Cox.

BoG's Score: 7.5 out of 10

_______ You're All Right! - Repo Man CLIP (1984)

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another well-written review by the late, laminated Andrew Bogdan. He was All Sci-Fi's co-site administer from 2010 to 2015.

However, during that time I didn't know that Andrew was working diligently to create his own board called The Galactic Base of Science Fiction.

For reasons I'll never understand, he never revealed the existence of his board to us here on All Sci-Fi! Shocked

Over a five year period he created more than 3,000 posts like the one above. Unfortunately, he acquire only fifteen members during that time . . . and they only added a few replies. Sad

When Andy passed away in 2015, his board ceased being active.

I stumbled across it in 2020 and realized that it was the brainchild of Andrew Bogdan — the friend and fellow site-admin of All Sci-Fi which I had lost contact with five years earlier.

Eventually I found his arbitrary announcement on line and finally understood why he'd disappeared from All Sci-Fi.

But I still don't understand why he created his own message board and then worked tirelessly for five years to make it successful . . . . without ever promoting it here on All Sci-Fi!

But at least I was able to "rescue" 500 of his posts from The Galactic Base of Science Fiction by copying them and then posting them here on All Sci-Fi under Andrew's name.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: