ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Millennium (1989)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Millennium (1989) Reply with quote

This sci-fi film is largely ridiculed for unintentional humor and ineptness, but it at least tries for something different in regard to the old time travel plots.'

Time travelers from 1000 years in the future materialize inside doomed airplanes in the 20th century, remove all the about-to-die passengers and replace them with fake duplicates so that history proceeds unchanged — everyone in the present knows no better, thinking that all these people died as they were supposed to.

The citizens in the future need these people because things have deteriorated so far in the future that people can no longer reproduce.

Cheryl Ladd (Charlie's Angels) stars as an elite member of these teams from the future that are sent into the past. She and a few others are coddled and pampered because they have to resemble people of the 20th century, as most people in the future look like bloodless ghouls, or worse. Of course, this being Ladd, she looks better than most people in the 20th century. Oh, well . . .

________________ Millennium (1989) - Trailer

_________ Millennium - Die 4. Dimension (1989)

Kris Kristofferson stars as an investigator in 1989. He's investigating the latest airplane crash and meets Ladd in her latest guise as an on-site flight attendant, serving him and others coffee. D

ue to the vagaries of time travel, this is the first time he sees her, but the 2nd time she is meeting him. The first inkling that something is 'off' about this crash are strange comments made by the flight crew on the flight recorder, suggesting that the passengers were already dead before the actual crash.

They were just lifeless duplicates from the future.

Kristofferson gradually becomes aware of more anomalies, and some things are finally confirmed by Daniel J. Travanti (Hill Street Blues) as a scientist who has long suspected that time travelers were involved.

It looks as if the burgeoning romance between Kristofferson and Ladd will shake up the future with more "time quakes" (results of time paradoxes), but in the final act Travanti's character abruptly causes a major paradox which will wipe out the future.

The highlight of this film is the main set where most of the future scenes take place. It reminded me of the later 12 Monkeys (95) by Terry Gilliam.

I think they overdid some of it — the computer consoles looked so deteriorated that they should have fallen into disuse long ago.

But overall it was a memorable glimpse into one possible severely dystopian future. Especially creepy were the members of the future council, living inside containers and on their last leg.

Ladd was good in this, but Kristofferson was boring and had the habit of clenching his teeth when he's supposed to be thoughtful, lending an odd note to most of his scenes — as if he was constipated or in some sort of irritating pain. A couple of the actors playing future entities, including Robert Joy as someone more machine than man, were pretty good.

BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've never seen this one! Shame on me. I'll have to fix that.

I wonder if my fellow synchro-cinema partners would like to share this one in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room (< — LINK).

If none of them are interested, would anybody else like to watch it with me? Cool

_______ Millennium - 1989 Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the movie, but don't remember much of it. I've read the book and don't remember much of it, so I'm two-for-two. Laughing

In the book they are taking the people, because the Earth and it's people are dying off. I don't remember why. The people they bring forward are sent to colonies in other star systems to continue the human race. It will be a hard life, but the people from the future are envious of the colonists.

One funny thing I remember from the book, is that they had to dress-up their weapons to resemble guns. They did this because people in the past didn't recognize them as weapons, and they needed them to so they would obey the time travelers. Laughing

The Time Travelers were picked because they resembled physically the people from the past. Even so they needed prosthetics and makeup to pass as a normal person.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a strange premise for a story! Your description makes me want to read the book AND re-watch the movie. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: