ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (1965)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (1965) Reply with quote

"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines" was on one of the movie channels today.

Managed to catch the last hour of it; although I remember seeing it at the theater when it came out back in 1965.

I have not seen it in many a moon, so it was fun to watch it again this morning.

I was awed watching the flying scenes and stunts. I had forgotten just how fantastic they were. Cinematography was outstanding!

Not my favorite epic comedy movie; that will always be reserved for "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World."

"The Great Race," and "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming" would follow.

But Those Magnificent Men is entertaining and those period air craft are beautiful to gander.
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fanciful aircraft designs in the movie were based on proposed airplane designs from the time period the movie was taking place in.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, David, I was unaware of that fact.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this movie, and I guess I compared it unfairly to The Great Race. That Blake Edwards masterpiece sets the bar so high for a comedy of this type that other movies don't seem to measure up.

But it certainly has some spectacular flying scenes.

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines Trailer

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And always a hoot to see the terrific Terry Thomas in this film and playing a "dastardly fellow" so well.
He would do the same thing again in "Those Daring Young Men In Their Jaunty Jalopies."

In Mad World he wasn't really a bad bloke at all; they left that to Phil Silvers as the conniving and greedy Otto Meyer.

Terry gets his just desserts in this movie but man, I hated seeing what happened to his airplane on the top of that train. Cool stunt though.
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
He would do the same thing again in "Those Daring Young Men In Their Jaunty Jalopies."

That movie is a sequel to TMMITFM, with Terry Thomas's and Eric Sykes's characters being the sons of their characters in TMMITFM.

"Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes" is the full title of the movie, making it the longest title of any movie.

To get scenes of the actors flying their aircraft in the air, they flew the aircraft supported from two cranes about 90 feet in the air. This allowed them to get scenes of the actors with clear skies, and allowed the aircraft to maneuver, but also allowed the actors to act. As long as they didn't mind being 90 feet in the air. Laughing

Pow wrote:
In Mad World he wasn't really a bad bloke at all; they left that to Phil Silvers as the conniving and greedy Otto Meyer.

Really now, who in that movie wasn't conniving and greedy? Laughing His character, Otto Meyer was a piano player.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I've never been a big fan of The Great Race. It just tried way too hard to be the biggest, the most star-studded, the most expensive-looking, the most over-the-top of the "epic quest" comedies. Although my younger brother loved the film when it was first released (he was eight years old at the time).

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines has always been my favorite of the genre. It has just the right levels of comedy, adventure, and stuff of interest to technical-minded geeks (in this case, vintage aircraft).

Krel wrote:
"Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes" is the full title of the movie, making it the longest title of any movie.

There's at least one that's longer: The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum at Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade (usually shortened to Marat/Sade.) That's 26 words if you count Jean-Paul as two words.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well David, I think Captain Culpepper said it best when he told our group of 'merrymakers' that they weren't really criminals.

Yep, the hidden money did indeed bring out the worst in them as it might in many basically decent folks.
But they were mainly good people with no prior criminal records.

But Otto Meyer is a lifelong conman and it shows.

He ditches Pike the minute he can; he lies to Ray & Irwin that he's a psychiatrist and Pike is an escaped mental patient, he lies to Don Knotts about being a secret agent & then swipes his car; and even by the end attempts to be sneaky by cutting himself in for 2 shares of the loot.

Nah, Otto was the worst and lived just such a lifestyle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: