ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the original recently and loving it all over again, I watched this bloated and disappointing sequel today and wondered why I was foolish enough to buy the DVD of this movie — with all it's glaring science errors, it's sad character blunders, and it's blatant attempts to dazzle the audience with overblown CGI FX to cover up for the movie's lack of intelligence! Shocked

I won't bother to list this movie's screw ups, I'll just point out that the original offered us a skillful blend of science fiction concepts, brilliant FX, and charming characters who were all brought together for climax that thrilled the world! Very Happy

Conversely, this movie bombards us with meaningless scenes of global destruction that make it easy for any audience member to dash off to the snack bar and return without missing a damn thing which matters to the garbled plot! Rolling Eyes

The cast members who returned from the original movie presented absolutely none of the charm they did in 1996 — and the ones who didn't return were wise enough to steer clear of this misguided attempt to make lightning strike twice.

I have great respect for Roland Emmerich, and I have several of his movies in my DVD racks.

But this one is a bitter disappointment. Sad
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several days ago I watched Independence Day for the umpteenth time and really had fun with it. Very Happy

In fact, yesterday I wondered if I could perhaps forgive the sequel for all the faults I've listed in prior posts and watch it again, in hopes of prolonging the good feelings I'd gotten from the original.

Unfortunately, I started getting frustrated again by what seems like blatant science errors during the first thirty minutes.

And yet — wonder of wonders — today I decided to finish the movie. Since I started watching it AFTER the frustrating part, I was able to appreciate the story a bit more.

That turned out to be a stroke of luck, because after mentally ranting and raving yesterday about all the bad science in the first part of the movie, I was able to focus on the story . . . which was better than I'd previously thought! Shocked

Encouraged by this change of heart, I then decided to watch a few of the extras — which were pretty damn good! After that, I clicked on "Commentary by Roland Emmerich" and began watching the movie again!

I'm glad I did, because he explained several things about the story that had baffled me the first time, causing me to miss some very important plot elements and character interactions. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I strongly recommend that anyone who disliked this movie, even though they loved the original, should watch it with Mr. Emmerich's commentary so that you'll have a better grasp on what he meant to convey in the film, even though he wasn't always successsful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: