ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tropes Free Zone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Tropes Free Zone Reply with quote

The joys of sci~fi television shows is that they provide fans what normal, routine TV series cannot.

We can view with delight exotic aliens, stunning visual effects, amazing costume designs, imaginative sets & props.

Sci~fi shows can cover such topics as outer space, inner space, other worlds parallel dimensions, time travel and just about any trope the scriptwriters can conjure up.

However, I'd like to say that I find it compelling when the creator of a sci~fi TV show chooses not to utilize these multitude of sci~fi plots. They want to present a fascinating universe that is devoid of the usual science fiction concepts.

Earth II was a TV movie/pilot from 1971 that centered upon the first enormous human space station. The writers wanted to present it in as realistic terms as possible of what living on such a station just might actually.

Plymouth was a 1991 Disney sci~fi TV movie/pilot.

Plymouth is a large human habitat on our moon and all that goes with relocating from Earth to an artificial environment.

Firefly from 2002 centered around a cargo carrying space ship with its disparate crew. Yes, they would often go to other planets during an adventure, but these worlds were settled---for good or ill---by human beings. Not an alien in sight.

The 2004 Battlestar Galactica reboot that was far superior to the original iteration gave us a vast fleet fleeing from the android constructs that they created.

On all these pilots and shows the creators were brave enough to want to give science fiction fans a sci~fi show but to also want to not bring forth the usual cliches we've seen time and again on decades of such series.

For me it was like a breath of fresh air and I have to salute such creators attempt to produce shows that were strikingly different from the usual fare.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy all of those sci~fi tropes as much as any fan. But it is fun to see writers go where few have gone before within the genre.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting comment, Pow. I'm a little puzzled, however. For example, this comment —

POW wrote:
However, I'd like to say that I find it compelling when the creator of a sci~fi TV show chooses not to utilize these multitude of sci~fi plots. They want to present a fascinating universe that is devoid of the usual science fiction concepts.

— seems to be saying that the series you named deliberately avoided the "multitude of sci-fi plots" we're familiar with.

And yet those series seem to be using similar concepts to previous shows and movies. Space stations, lunar colonies, space travelers who meet other humans on various planets — these all seem like standard fare. So, I guess I need a bit of clarification, please.

POW wrote:
On all these pilots and shows the creators were brave enough to want to give science fiction fans a sci~fi show but to also want to not bring forth the usual cliches we've seen time and again on decades of such series.

I know I'm missing the obvious, Mike. So, don't hesitate to spell it out for this poor "ancient astronaut wannabe". Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: