ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (2012) Reply with quote

See here for movie description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_2:_The_Mysterious_Island

As of this post, I have not yet seen this movie. I was put off by the previews showing Dwayne Johnson replaced Brendan Fraser from the earlier "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (2008) movie.

However, lately I thought . . . what did the Nemo's "Nautilus" submarine look like - in this 'modernization' of the original story. Found some interesting aspects... this (140-year old) Nautilus, is not built for 'ramming' old wooden war ships. This one has one large forward viewport (like the VTTBOTS "Seaview Submarine) - not the old two viewports (to resemble sea-serpent eyes). And it has a single pilot command seat configuration, using a joy-stick for control. I like this arrangement better than the other (older) versions of the Nautilus.

In searching for info about this 2012 Nautilus, I found this page by its' designer:

http://www.freyart.us/article-journey2-nautilus.html

...and images:

http://www.freyart.us/portfolio-journey2.html

Guess I will have to buy the DVD of this movie, just for the new (old) Nautilus.
Shocked
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golly gosh-aroony, I didn't even know about this bad boy 'till I read your post, Larry! Muchas gracias, amigo! I just now put it on my Netflix list.

As for the design of the Nautilus, it looks really good in this scene from the YouTube clip (click on pic to watch flick. Very Happy)

-- but the overall shape seems too much like an airplane for my tastes.

And there are too many borrowed features from the famed Harper Goff version. I mean, why have a "ship cutter" across the top if you can't ram one without smashing the forward view port?
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bud, very interesting to see the photos of the Nautilus set at that site you posted.

I have to agree though, this version of the sub looks too much like a jet aircraft.

No one has ever surpassed the Disney version.

I did see a TV mini-series of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea some years ago. Michael Caine portrayed Nemo.The submarine design was quite impressive I thought.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason this Nautilus has 'wings' (aircraft shape), is stated on the freyart website: "...the vessel became that of a mutated manta ray, complete with one big eye in the middle of its forehead...".

I agree that the 'ship cutter' should have been discarded, along with the old 'ramming point'. Or it could still be used as a saw-blade, to slice open the keel of a boat by under-passing it. It's still a reminder of the 'original' Nautilus design.

The elements I like of it are:

* small crew size needed.
* battery-powered - no 'way advanced' atomic power.
* those interior ancient-architecture pillars and arches.
* the single-pilot command design.

A Nautilus sub that can be restored to operation by one to five people is the type I would like to find. Smile

I would have preferred less 'steam-punk' exposed pipes & tanks.

I think I would also add 'filigree' embossment art to it's exterior (and interior) - like that of the Nautilus in the 2003 movie: "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". I like the opulent looks of that 'useless' adornments. Wink

Or, if all this modifications is too much for the old Nemo-Nautilus... then I'd like to see/find an old Nazi U-boat -retrofitted this way, and with Nemo-ish Victorian interior.
Wink Wink
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent analysis, Captain Foster! Very Happy

I saw a reference to the manta ray inspiration for the design at the website that presents the diagrams.

The inclusion of the "fuselage" portions behind the "wings" was a mistake. It makes it look more like an airplane and less like a manta ray.

I tried shortening that part a little (and removing the projection on the front, just because I didn't like it), but it still looks too much like an airplane I'm afraid.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I did see a TV mini-series of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea some years ago. Michael Caine portrayed Nemo.The submarine design was quite impressive I thought.

Hey, you're right! This is indeed an interesting design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: