ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

La Brea (2021)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2021 to Tomorrow!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: La Brea (2021) Reply with quote

I only caught previews for this brand new upcoming show just a few days ago while watching television.

I've since gone on Youtube to see this compelling looking show's trailer.

La Brea will debut this coming fall on Wednesday, September 29 on NBC from 9:00-10:00 PM.

Synopsis : "The epic adventure begins when a massive sinkhole opens up in the middle of L.A., pulling hundreds of people and buildings into its depths.

Those who fell in find themselves in a mysterious and dangerous primeval land, where they have no choice but to band together in order to survive.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world desperately seeks to understand what happened.

In the search for answers, one family torn apart by this disaster will have to unlock the secrets of this inexplicable event in order to find a way back to each other."

Although the show takes place in California, it is being shot at Mt. Macedon & Victoria, Australia.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One scene shows a group of people at the bottom of the sinkhole looking up to the sky. We see giant flying creatures in the distance. Dinosaurs perhaps?

I'm hoping that the filming of La Brea in Australia will go smoothly. Recently I wrote about Terra Nova and the problems that were reported to be the cause of its cancellation.

One issue was that it was also shot in Australia. That distance from Hollywood & its producers and the time difference involved contributed to TN's demise (among other factors).

I hope a similar problem won't arise for La Brea. Perhaps they've learned from TN's example.

In 1999, Farscape, one of the finest science-fiction TV series ever produced made its debut. It ran for four (too short) seasons and it was filmed entirely in Australia.

I'm curious as to why one show (Farscape) can manage to pull off being filmed in Australia; and why Terra Nova which came years later ran into issues.

Mission: Impossible, (1988~1990) the worthy TV reboot series also filmed in Australia & ran for two seasons.

Space: Above & Beyond ( 1995~1996), a superb show, shot their two-hour pilot in Australia but then relocated the production to the US when it became a weekly show. Apparently they were running into difficulties shooting in Australia just as TN did.

I believe that the syndicated TV series The Lost World also filmed entirely in Australia and ran for several seasons.

So I remain curious as to why some American TV productions seem to manage fine filming in Australia while others crash and burn?

I love it when a show does film Down Under because it gives us fresh new spectacular scenery and vistas.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniseries "Something Is Out There" was filmed in Australia, but movie to the U.S. when it went to seris. "The Matrix" was filmed in Australia.

"Farscape" made it work because it was a U.S./Australian collaboration.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Brea has been renewed by NBC for a second season.

Ah, if such a fate could have befallen The Green Hornet, UFO, Space: Above & Beyond, Firefly, Reverie.
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
La Brea has been renewed by NBC for a second season.

Ah, if such a fate could have befallen The Green Hornet, UFO, Space: Above & Beyond, Firefly, Reverie.

"The Green Hornet" was renewed fo a second season, but fell apart when the Producer wanted it to be an hour long series, and ABC wanted to keep it a 30 minute series. The Producer said it was just too hard to do it as a 30 minute series.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed this series so far! Originaly I didn't think the concept was so interesting, but it has developed into a mashup of LOST and Edgar Rice Burroughs' THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the clip of the first five minutes of the premiere episode is spectacular! Very Happy

Unfortunately the NBC affiliate here in Charlotte is being blacked out by my DISH service because of contract disputes, so I can't watch it! Sad

But I'm really excited by this new "lost world" concept, and I look forward to binge watching it when I'm finally able to. Very Happy

_ First Five Minutes of NBC’s New Drama | La Brea

_____ La Brea Season 1 Trailer | 'This Season On'

_____________________ First Look | La Brea

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the resounding questions in time travel movies – can you alter the future if you alter the past? La Brea has already answered that.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE nuance of "time travel" . . . If that's what we see here...is really shown in the writing of this series.

I'm not sure exactly what it is , but we have visions (Remote viewing?) and revelations of the past leading to the formers future.

As at the same time we meet time dispersed castaways, Plistocine fauna and survivors in conflict!

As my favorite Vulcan would say, raising an eyebrow . . . FASCINATING!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTH!!! La Brea's first season is done after only 10 episodes! Network TV shows usually have a run of 22 new episodes per season.

Terra Nova had only 13 but at least it was well publicized that it would do so, in part due to the expensive cost of the series. At least I knew that going in.

I don't recall seeing any publicity about La Brea's unprecedented short season.

Watching Leave It To Beaver the other day and the channel guide showed that it was the 39th episode for that season.

Ahh, the old days when our fall TV shows ran right into summer because they produced so many episodes back then.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first season of The Lone Ranger from 1949 to 1950 produced 52 episodes! A new show every week, and NO reruns!

The second season has only 25 episodes, so the practice of rerunning episodes seems to have started here. Sad

However, the third and fourth seasons produced 52 episodes, after which the number of episodes varied from season to season.

As we all know, back in the 1950s and 1960s the networks settled into the habit of giving us about six months of new shows and then airing six months of reruns — although they leaned towards making the "rerun" season shorter than the season which offered the original stuff.

So, Pow, I agree with you when you said this.

Quote:
Ahh, the old days when our fall TV shows ran right into summer because they produced so many episodes back then.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Moore played the title role of The Lone Ranger in all of season 1 and the first half of season 2. He left at that point over a pay dispute. During his absence for all of season 3 he was replaced by John Hart in the title role. Moore then returned for season 4 and the remainder of the series when offered the higher pay rate.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Brea will return on Tuesday, January 9 at 9:00 pm for its final season, which is a short one with only 6-episodes. Looks like another intriguing SF TV show has bitten the dust after only 3 seasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2021 to Tomorrow! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: