ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragnet (1967 - 1970)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Dragnet (1967 - 1970) Reply with quote

Dragnet is an interesting series, but I am bothered by showing all the episodes (on METV).

I know that the series shows the different types of cases of the LAPD, BUT showing them one-after-another gives me the impression that Sgt Joe Friday is possibly either the most incompetent member of the LAPD or the luckiest!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that makes him incompetent, then?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my favorite Cop Show. I read a review where Joe Friday was described as being so square that he was cool.

A lot of Police Officers said that they learned a lot of correct Police procedures from "Dragnet". Jack Webb insisted on complete authenticity of Police procedures. In the original show, the Police station sets were an exact reproduction of the Los Angeles Police department offices, down to the labeling on the telephones.

Jack Webb was a big supporter of Police Officers. He saw them as Knights holding back the barbarians.

One of my favorite parts of the show was Friday's speeches.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a big admirer of Jack Webb and his various television shows. Jack was unique in that he strove for realism with each of his series.

It was the hallmark of his Mark VII productions. Jack was a stickler for presenting his shows in such a manner that they could be dramatic without being far fetched.

He really wanted to show the audience the difference between what it truly was like in a particular line of work versus Hollywood melodrama that would veer away from truth and into pure fiction.

Jack Facts. He was born John Randolph Webb on April 2, 1920 into a poverty stricken neighborhood in Santa Monica, California.

His mother Maggie moved into a small apartment in Los Angeles with her mother Emma Smith. They took any jobs they could find barely eking out a living between them.

Samuel Webb, Jack's father had vanished without a trace. Neither alimony nor child support would ever be paid.

The family barely noticed when the Great Depression hit; they'd been on county relief already for years.

At age six, Jack contracted pneumonia. It was a near fatal bout that left him with severe asthma.

Jack would be nine years old before he was strong enough to attend school.

Fatherless, sickly, and poor, Jack compensated by becoming a voracious reader. Jack would spend entire days at the library.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm grateful that Mr. Webb didn't have to see what modern society as become. Sad

Today we have police officers who kneel on a culprit's neck until he suffocates to death!

And we have congressmen who deny that domestic terrorists stormed our Capitol and killed police officers who were defending some of the very politicians who now want to cover up the whole despicable event. Sad

The world of Dragnet has morphed into a nightmare in which deluded people are being led like sheep into a society which allows politicians and the puppet masters of a bogus "news media" called FOX are rewriting reality.

During this time on January 6th, the "Hitler wannabe" commanded these guys —

— to storm the Capital and stop Congress from counting the votes needed to send him back to his Florida golf course!

Fortunately he failed . . . but he continues to spout lies on FOX, and he holds new rallies which are composed of idiots which he's admitted privately are all redneck fools. Rolling Eyes

I keep wondering when the less intelligent third of this great nation is going to finally realize that all the people who don't see Trump as a drooling idiot are themselves simply drooling idiots. Rolling Eyes

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
to storm the Capitol and killed police officers who were defending some of the very politicians who now want to cover up the whole despicable event. Sad

Please name the Police Officers killed in the D.C. protest. According to the U.S. government, the only death by violence in the protest was an unarmed Air Force veteran murdered by an unnamed D.C. Police Officer. There is a despicable event!

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I was thinking of Officer Brian Sicknick, who was pepper sprayed by the rioters and later died after having two strokes.

Or perhaps I was thinking of Officer Daniel Hodges, who was being crushed between a door frame and the door being shoved by a group of rioters.

CBS News reported that more than 150 officers were injured in the attack, many of which still haven't returned to duty, so I guess we're just lucky that even more folks didn't die.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On November 24, 1948 the movie "He Walked By Night" saw its premiere in Los Angeles.

It was done in the film noir style and is considered a minor classic.

Novel for its time the movie presented the dramatization of an actual crime investigation that occurred in L.A. in 1946.

To make the picture as real as possible the producers sought technical assistance from the LAPD. Sergeant Martin Wynn would be the adviser throughout shooting.

Marty Wynn was delighted to participate on the production.

He was fed up with Hollywood's idea of crime drama, especially the bargain-basement Sam Spades who masterfully solved cases in spite of brainless and occasionally dishonest cops.

In the film Jack Webb played the officer who manned the Department's crime lab.

Jack had the lead role in the radio show "Pat Novak For Hire."
Pat was a hard boiled private investigator; he was a wiseguy who mouthed off to both cops and criminals alike. Especially Inspector Hellman, a bully with a badge.

PN was exactly the kind of character that Marty Wynn despised in crime dramas.

On the film Jack Webb was everywhere. He closely watched the carpenters construct sets. He watched gaffers adjust lights of various shapes and sizes. He watched cameramen load and unload film magazines. He peered over the editor's shoulder as he ran scenes through a Moviola. He sat beside the soundman watching him dub effects and music.

And he constantly asked questions of anyone and everyone involved in the movie's production.

For Jack it was earn-while-you-learn time, a necessary education if he was to achieve what had become his dream: to take center seat on a soundstage one day.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that in the 1960s "Dragnet" Jack Webb picked actors and actresses on their ability to work from cue cards. For some reason Jack Webb liked the delivery they gave reading from cue cards.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, I was delighted to find the movie you mentioned above on YouTube.

________________He Walked by Night (1948)

POW wrote:
To make the picture as real as possible the producers sought technical assistance from the LAPD. Sergeant Martin Wynn would be the adviser throughout shooting.

In the film Jack Webb played the officer who manned the Department's crime lab.

It will be fun to see "Sgt. Joe Friday" in the crime lab. In fact, I think I'll pop open a beer and watch the movie right now! Very Happy
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Marty & Jack got to know one another, Marty let Jack know what real policemen thought of the movie & television law officers.

"It rankles every damn cop in the country when they hear those far-fetched stories about crime," Marty said.

"They're all jazzed up, and the detectives are all superman, and they do it with mirrors," Marty went on.

Then a pivotal moment occurred for Jack Webb and future fans of his Dragnet series.

Marty told Webb that he could arrange for Webb to have access to cases in police files and that maybe Jack could do something with them.

Still Jack wasn't convinced when he replied to Marty that he had his doubts about doing anything with actual real life police cases. "The fiction shows have such high ratings."

Webb would remember his saying that to Marty years later and say, "I get a little queasy thinking how I almost missed the boat."
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Webb watched He Walked By Night, he came away from the theater knowing that a true-to-life police drama could be gripping entertainment.

Before long, he recalled Sgt. Wynn's offer regarding having access to police files about real cases.

The more Webb focused on the sheer novelty of the idea, the more excited he became. What if he were to take it a few steps further and, throw out all the old claptrap, and play it straight? Suppose he not only dramatized real cases, but presented them exactly as they'd happened, with all the actual steps taken to solve each crime, make the arrests and ensure the convictions?

What if cops talked like real cops, and acted like real cops? Suppose he placed emphasis not on the characters, nor on the crimes, but on the means used to solve them?

If nothing else, he would have a show unlike any other then airing, and the positive press from He Walked By Night was a sign that he could make a solid hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: