ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planet Earth (1974 TV movie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
A better solution would be to combine the anesthetic dart with some kine of TASER projectile..

David, the moment I read the part right before the quote above I had a quick thought about combining a taser with the drug dart!

The beauty of your idea is, of course, that the taser knocks out the target quickly and keeps him down long enough for the drug to kick in. (I'm stating the obvious just because I wanted to brag on you.)

Note to Pow: As usual, I admire the way you analyze the concepts and speculate about them so skillfully. Kudos to you as well.
Idea
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bud. I remain ready, willing, and able to receive any & all compliments. If they're deserved that is.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was re-reading about those intriguing looking props from Planet Earth.

The transceiver is the tubed-shaped device used by PAX; their communicator. The printing detailing it in the pictures is small and not easy to read on the page.
Looking at it today I did spot that on the bottom of the transceiver is an opening. It is referred to as an Image Orthicon.

So apparently the PAX transceiver was both a communication device and it possessed a camera. Clever idea for 1974 & very practical. Nowadays we have that reality with our phones.

The multiceiver---PE's version of a triccorder---had an interesting design feature, too. The visual display screen on it is able to fold shut; it would bend but without creasing.

I would think that having the artistic team create such a prop back in 1974 would have been very challenging to achieve.

Since we don't get any close-ups of the multiceiver with anyone closing up the screen in the pilot/movie, we never get to examine how successfully the artists pull off this intriguing gimmick.

I would guess that if it was not perfect, that today the prop designers could create this foldable tech easily.

Its interesting to see just how cool the props created for sci~fi TV shows remain impressive looking to this day.

The tricorders, communicators, and phasers from ST:TOS are still cool looking. The commlock & stun gun from Space:1999 are also nifty looking and have dated very well.

Not to say that with any reboot of a sci~fi TV show that new ideas, new designs, upgrades & so forth cannot be made. Sometimes the newer designs are better.

Looking at the PE props, if a revival of this concept were to happen one day they might indeed come up with superior designs. However, I sure like what I see of these props from 1974. They really did a fine job of it.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to thinking that if this concept was ever rebooted as a weekly series, I would suggest a vehicle for the PAX Team.

The opening of PE has the team frantically rushing to get back to their subterranean shuttle train in their escape from violent mutated humans who are pursuing them.

They are slowed down by an older team member who is exhausted.

Would it not make sense that PAX is able to carry some kind of futuristic vehicle on their train? That way they could use it to cover more ground instead of having to be on foot once they exit their train.

Realistically they're going to want to investigate locations and communities that are far from the shuttle stations.

Lost In Space had their chariot vehicle (although this would be too large for PE). The original Battlestar Galactica had the land ram, Terra Nova had cool looking trucks, and the excellent rebooted Lost In Space has their version of the chariot.

These vehicles could carry both the team and any supplies or equipment they'd require.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea! The shuttle-train vehicle would have all the benefits you described — and more besides.

If would be used to reach places relatively close to PAX which were just as near headquarters as they were to the nearest station.

It would be extremely useful if the shuttle broke down and left a team stranded so that they had to drive all the way back to PAX.

If the shuttle did suffer mechanical failure and stopped between stations, a vehicle would carry the repair crew to a hidden ground-level access point near the stalled shuttle so the repair could climb down and reach the tunnel.

If a team discovered that a shuttle station was in danger of being discovered, they could drive to the next nearest station (or all the way back to headquarters) to avoid giving away the location of the endangered station.

In other words, Pow, your suggestion has (a) revealed a weakness in the concept of the shuttle system, (b) solved the weakness with the addition of the shuttle-train vehicle, and (c) provided numerous story ideas which could be based on the suggestions I made and many others! Very Happy

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with them carrying any vehicles, is that the subshuttle is a small vehicle with limited interior space. They would need a larger subushuttle, or a second car to carry their gear. There must be more than one subshuttle, and may even be larger passenger and cargo shuttles.

The vehicles could be 4-wheel ATV's. They are small enough to fit in the subshuttle, but large enough to carry the needed gear, especially if they have a roll cage to mount it on. They could also carry multiple people in an emergency. They could be electric for stealth, with portable solar panels to recharge the batteries. Place the panels over the gear, and you could be charging the batteries while you use them.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions, David. You've pointed out the limitations and possible solutions to the problems you described.

As you said, a second subshuttle car is the best answer. It doesn't reduce the existing space for passengers, and the subshuttle car could be designed to have features such a wide doorway and a ramp for the vehicles.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new version of Planet Earth produced today would require a diverse cast compared to the original.

They also couldn't get away with casting Ted Cassidy as an Amerind in this day and age since Ted did not actually possess any Indian background.

Drones didn't play any role in the PE TV-movie. A new version should have them present for PAX.

I also liked that PAX, in order to survive WWII, had retreated deep underground as seen in Genesis II. That idea was scrapped with PE. Possibly for budgetary considerations in creating a massive cave set.

I'd like to see the underground PAX reinstated for a new PE. If the show has a lavish budget---which it would require---the new and revolutionary breakthrough visual effects developed for the TV show The Mandalorian, LED Wall, could beautifully create a vast underground city for PAX.

As well as any other civilizations that PAX encounters.

This is not to say that over the centuries that PAX hasn't emerged from their underground world. They could have developed surface buildings, farm fields, radars, gardens at this point.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent concepts, Mike! I'm getting great mental images of the New Improved Planet Earth you've described.

It's sad that laymen like us can concoct such fine plans for a science fiction series, and yet only a handful of producers in Hollywood seem to have the ability to do it. Sad

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These close-up drawings are excellent and clear. Thank you for providing 'em, David.

Even though these devices were designed decades ago, they still would make marvelous looking tools today if Planet Earth was ever revived as a weekly TV series.
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, wiith Bud's kind and enthusiastic permission I posted the interview these drawings came from here: http://www.allsci-fi.com/viewtopic.php?t=7414 in the Sci-Fi magazines and fanzines section.

In the article Franz Joseph describes designing the props, and also how they would function if they were real. It's fascinating and informative reading.

I had hoped to edit the parts of the article on the props and post it here, but my eyes are giving me some trouble due to cataracts. Maybe after I have the problem fixed in the upcoming year.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I had hoped to edit the parts of the article on the props and post it here, but my eyes are giving me some trouble due to cataracts. Maybe after I have the problem fixed in the upcoming year.

David, I'm having the same vision problems you are!

It's so damn frustrating to be unable to see my laptop display clearly. I'm disparately hoping my eye doctor can fix this soon. I will need cataract replacement too, and my doctor says it will solve the problem. God a'mighty, I hope so!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

Cataract surgery has been perfected to a great degree! Six years ago I had mine done. My vision was so bad I saw six of everything and night driving was a nightmare! I dreaded having it done, but it was a piece of cake! No pain and fast recovery!

I had worn glasses all of my life and only need them now for reading (And not even then if in bright light....Don't even need them for computer work!) My formerly poor vision was corrected to better than 20/20 in both eyes! I could even see the fine print on the bottom of the eye chart!

Consult with a good doctor in your area and go for it! It improved my enjoyment of life 100%. I could now enjoy movies again and didn't need glasses for driving!

Go for it!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found nifty things about all three pilots: Genesis II, Planet Earth, and Strange New World.

The first two were created and overseen by Gene Roddenberry, the last one was produced without him.

Genesis II offers a very interesting story.

Planet Earth offers the PAX Team 21 with cool looking uniforms. Unfortunately after an exciting opening to this pilot it loses steam with its mundane story of a society ruled by females.

Strange New World had the best intro of 'em all. Instead of Dylan Hunt undergoing a cryonic sleep experiment in Carlsbad Caverns as shown on G II & only referred to on PE; we have Hunt and two other scientists on board a sharp looking space station.

When the earth is pummeled by asteroids it's decided to place Hunt and his fellow crew into suspended animation and redirect the space station in a long elliptical orbit out of danger from the asteroids. This will also make the space station's return to earth centuries after the planet has suffered the devastating affects from the asteroids.

Once they return, Hunt and his crew board a space shuttle and fly to earth. Once there they bring out a sophisticated vehicle from the shuttle in order to explore whatever is left on their home world.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Hey guys!

Cataract surgery has been perfected to a great degree! Six years ago I had mine done. My vision was so bad I saw six of everything and night driving was a nightmare! I dreaded having it done, but it was a piece of cake! No pain and fast recovery!

I had worn glasses all of my life and only need them now for reading (And not even then if in bright light....Don't even need them for computer work!) My formerly poor vision was corrected to better than 20/20 in both eyes! I could even see the fine print on the bottom of the eye chart!

Consult with a good doctor in your area and go for it! It improved my enjoyment of life 100%. I could now enjoy movies again and didn't need glasses for driving

Gprd, your post is the best Christmas gift I could possibly receive!

My vision has gotten worse over the last year or so, and my eye doctor has informed me that I would be needing cataract surgery in the near future.

I've been reconciled to it, but with a certain amount of fear. If something went wrong and my eyesight were was somehow made worse, it would rob me of some of my greatest pleasures — like literature, artwork, and All Sci-Fi! Shocked

Thanks to you, Gord, I can tell my doctor I'm looking forward to the procedure!
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: