ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hot Rock (1972)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: The Hot Rock (1972) Reply with quote

Image a clever "heist" movie with a great cast, a brilliant script, and a skilled director! Very Happy

The movie presents a clever, action-packed, amusing tale about four highly skilled guys who are hired by a foreign diplomat to steal a priceless diamond from a New York museum — a diamond which actually belongs to the diplomat's African country! Sad

Presto! Here's that movie! Very Happy

Another way to describe this movie is a Mission: Impossible tale with four less-than-scrupulous misfits who want to get rich by pulling off a robbery . . . one that goes horrible wrong, in spite of their repeated attempts to salvage the situation. Sad

And these four characters are so likable that the audience desperately wants them to succeed . . . because they're brilliant and totally wacky plans are a true delight to behold!

I should point out that this is one of those extremely rare action adventure movies which has not one single attractive woman as a major character in the cast! Shocked

Amazingly enough, this enjoyable movie bombed at the box office — proof positive that when it comes to good films, the general public doesn't know it's anal cavity from Carlsbad Caverns. Rolling Eyes

I wish YouTube had the full movie, but all they have is a lame trailer which does a piss-poor job of selling this fine film to the public. I'm sure the ineffective trailer is part of why it failed so completely . . . along with the total lack of lovely ladies.

Ironically, the Amazon price for both the DVD and the Blu-ray is outrageous, so I won't even quote the prices here!

If somebody has a download of this movie and could put it on WeTransfer.com, we could all have it, and then we could watch it together in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room (< — LINK)

However, TCM shows it from time to time, so if you have access to TCM and a DVR, you can get it free — like I did. (Damn, does anybody NOT have DVR these days? Shocked)

_____________ The Hot Rock (1972) Trailer HD

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, your comment about there not being any women comprising the cast got me to thinking, just how many movies had no women leads in their cast, or have them play only in a very minor background role?

Ice Station Zebra, The Great Escape, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Disney), Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge Over the River Kwai, Explorers, The 3 Godfathers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Silent Running, Stalag 17, The Hunt for Red October, Crimson Tide, The Enemy Below, The Earthling, Cast Away, All is Lost, Fail Safe, Dr. Strangelove, Tora! Tora! Tora!

And I haven't named all of 'em by any stretch, but there are more than I would've imagined since we know Hollywood almost always puts in a love story or romance element in nearly all their movies. They believe that without it they won't be able to attract a female audience.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
And I haven't named all of 'em by any stretch, but there are more than I would've imagined since we know Hollywood almost always puts in a love story or romance element in nearly all their movies.

"Because the public, bless 'em, must have a pretty face to look at!"

Well, Esmeralda the sea lion was cute.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: