ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, there's a TNG episode called Force of Nature, in which the Enterprise crew learns that FTL travel might actually damage subspace!

The captain and crew discuss at length the serious nature of this detrimental effect on subspace, and how the absence of FTL travel would affect civilizations.

I think I'll ask Trekriffic to watch it with me. We've discussed sharing Trek episode occasionally on Monday's.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aliens from ST:TMP.

Betelgeusians: Inhabitants of the star Betelgeuse who are seven-foot-tall humanoids who are descended from a race of leopard-like eagles. They have a claw & bone structure similar to a condor.

Arcturians: A race of clones from the densely populated Arcturus. They provide the backbone of the Federation Infantry. If required, they are able to create billions of new soldiers overnight.

Saurians: A race of lizard-like people who are very intelligent and make excellent officers. They are very strong physically and possess four hearts. They are able to breathe several different types of gasses, which makes them useful members of landing parties.

Kazarites: These are the Dr. Doolittles of the Federation of Planets who are able to communicate with animals telepathically. The Kazarites also have limited telekinetic powers and can teleport themselves mentally. They are ecologists who devote much of their time to the care of animals.

Zaranites: They cannot breathe oxygen and must use breathing masks & backpacks that supply them with the essential fluorine gas they breathe.

Aaamazzarites: They generate their clothing from their own mouths. In fact, everything on Aaamazzara, including furniture, is the produced bio-chemically, similar to the way bees make hives.

Rigellians: Descended from a race of saber-toothed turtles. They only have one gender and reproduce by laying eggs.

K'normians: A humanoid race with large foreheads. Their large brains gives them a superior appreciation of time and space.

Rhaandarites: A simple, gregarious people much better at taking orders than giving them. They are long-lived and reach maturity at around 150 or so.

Megarites: They live underwater, but the FOP developed a system of injections that allow them to survive on land for about a week. Their planet is made from jade.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I learned from the History Channel's series The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek.

Paramount Studio initially planned to launch a fourth TV network and wanted a brand new ST show as their flagship series.

Star Wars debuted in the summer of 1977 and was an enormous hit. ST people tried to convince Paramount that this indicated that there was a huge market for science fiction, and a ST film would be perfect.

Paramount felt that Star Wars was a one hit wonder and there would not be an audience for more science fiction movies. It wasn't until the premiere & success of Close Encounters of the Third Kind that Paramount thought, okay, maybe there is a market for a ST movie after all.

Harold Livingston wrote the script for a ST feature film titled IN Thy Image. Gene Roddenberry rewrote it. HL felt that Gene's rewrite was terrible and that Roddenberry could not write well at all. They would remain at each other's throats throughout the production of ST:TMP.

HL received a frantic phone call from producer Michael Eisner from Paris telling him that the script sent by HL was (bleep)!
Harold discovered it was not his original script but one that Gene had rewritten that was sent to Eisner.

Robert Wise was selected as the film director but found Gene's micromanaging & interference intolerable.

During the production of the movie Gene was abusing drugs. He was a prodigious drinker, and was smoking marijuana, using cocaine.

Robert Abel & his company was hired to create the special/visual effects. The optical house had done some marvelous visual TV commercials, but had never done a feature film before.

Abel & his team were way in over their head. After many weeks of working they only created a few minutes of visuals.
Director Wise was incensed and fired them immediately.

Famed FX artists Douglas Trumbull & John Dykstra took over under enormous pressure to meet the film's deadline.
They had crews working around the clock 24/7.

Leonard Nimoy thought that Wise was being poorly advised by people who knew nothing about Star Trek.

The script was constantly undergoing rewrites even as they were shooting the movie.

The film was a financial success for the studio, but not the mega-hit Paramount was looking for.

When they decided to produce a second ST movie there wasn't exactly a long list of directors jumping at the chance to do it.

Some did not want to do a ST film, some did not want to do a sequel, and some had no interest in doing a science fiction film. And other directors were simply unavailable.

Last edited by Pow on Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine post, Mike.

It's really sad that politics and personal egos often derail the efforts of true cinematic artists who struggle to create fine science fiction. Sad

I'm just an aging sci-fi fan with a modest message board, but the concepts that our members and I have proposed are often far better than what we get out of Tinsel Town.

Sir, your contributions to All Sci-Fi are greatly appreciated.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douglas Trumbull developed ulcers while working on ST:TMP and trying to meet its release date.

Doug and his team were brought in after the first special effects company proved incompetent months into the production.

Doug and his people worked nearly around the clock for six months to finish the FX for the demanding schedule.

Doug had to be hospitalized after completing the production.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this tells me is that the producers were trying to get the FX done "on the cheap" — so they started out with an unreliable company who blew the assignment, and then they went with Trumbull's team, who accepted because he and his people wanted the job so badly.

Unfortunately, they lacked the experience to know what they were getting into. Sad

Obviously the fault lies entirely with the producers for not properly investigating the qualifications of the FX teams they hired, just to ensure they were up to the job.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another look at the NX-01 refit. Beautiful. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) Reply with quote

Maurice wrote:
In 2001 a Director's Edition, featuring a revised edit and some additional and replacement visual effects and a new sound mix was released on DVD, but it remains controversial amongst some fans as to how much it actually reflects Robert Wise's intentions and how much is George Lucas-like tampering by the people doing the new effects.

Having never been overly impressed with the theatrical release because of the way it abandoned the very thing that made TOS so good, I don't object to the changes the 2001 re-edit made.

The Original Series had a colorful, energetic, fun-loving nature that worked well with its imaginative and thought-provoking stories. The principle characters were young, energetic, and bold to the point of recklessness.

In contrast, the movie's sets and costume had muted colors, and the tone of the film was entirely too humorless. And, dare I see it — the actors not only looked old, they acted that way as well.
Sad
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many have pointed out that this motion picture's plot is a mash-up of "The Doomsday Machine" & "The Changeling" from the 1966~1969 ST television series. This is true.

I'd also submit that the episode "Once Upon a Planet" from Star Trek: The Animated Series plays a role in the feature film.

"Once Upon a Planet," November 3, 1973 is an entertaining sequel to the live action TV series episode "Shore Leave." In SL we see the Enterprise crew encounter a previously unknown world which has an astonishing subterranean machine complex that can make dreams come true for living species by creating anything their heart & mind desires.

In OUAP the Enterprise returns to the planet for rest and recreation. However, they discover that the alien caretaker they met on their first visit is now deceased, and the computer is now large & in charge.

Furthermore, the immensely sophisticated computer that is able to make anyone's fantasy come true has evolved. It now perceives the organic crew inside the "Skymachine," a.k.a. the Enterprise, as unnecessary. "I abhor waste. But they [the crew] serve the Skymachine without being essential to its function. Therefore it is only logical to eliminate that which is not needed. Components of my own design will serve as adequate replacements. In the end, following a period of integration with the Skymachine's own self, they will prove even better."

So the Enterprise crew is toast.

In ST: TMP we have this dialogue taking place between V'Ger - - - in the form of former crewwoman Ilia - - - make this statement, "Enterprise should not require the presence of carbon- based units. When my examination is complete, the carbon-based units will be reduced to data patterns."

Toast again.

ST: TMP came out in 1979, OUAP debuted on TV six years earlier. So it seems to me that the movie owes acknowledgement to not only the original live action show, it also owes a debt to the concept we saw that was part of the animated series episode.

It all comes together well in the feature film, but as others have noted, the feature film really cannot lay claim to originality with its morphing of three TV episodes into its storyline.

Last edited by Pow on Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, as Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating."

A.I. systems which make judgements like that are assuming a specific function for the Enterprise that could somehow be performed without the "infestation" of the crew (as V'ger called it).

Clearly this is a mistake on the part of the A.I. It's like saying a jetliner could save fuel if it reduced its weight . . . by leaving off the flight crew, the passengers, and all their luggage. Rolling Eyes

It's easy to image Kirk doing one of his "verbal smack-downs" on the A.I. by explaining what the primary purpose of the starship is. In fact, all he'd have to do is the recite the opening of TOS!

__________ Star Trek Original Series Intro (HQ)

The computer would listen to this explanation, pause a few seconds, and then say, "Ummm . . . okay, now I get it." Embarassed
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
A.I. systems which make judgements like that are assuming a specific function for the Enterprise that could somehow be performed without the "infestation" of the crew (as V'ger called it).

Clearly this is a mistake on the part of the A.I. It's like saying a jetliner could save fuel if it reduced its weight . . . by leaving off the flight crew, the passengers, and all their luggage. Rolling Eyes

If a sophisticated alien computer visited Los Angeles, it might well conclude that cars are the dominant lifeform here -- and that humans exist to serve the automobile!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
If a sophisticated alien computer visited Los Angeles, it might well conclude that cars are the dominant lifeform here -- and that humans exist to serve the automobile!

Scot, you've given me an idea for a funny story.

An alien space craft approaches Earth and starts studying humanity from high orbit. But the aliens are robotic, not organic, so they assume the machines are self-aware, like they themselves are.

The one change I'd make in your idea above, Scot, is that the alien robots assume the cars are enslaved by the humans — so the alien/robots want to wipe out the slave masters and free their mechanical brothers!
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: