ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Droning by Tom Yourk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Carbon Fiber Tube Experimental Drone Reply with quote

This short video clip shows the first test of an experimental drone I made from carbon fiber tubes as the main frame. This is the first time I had ever constructed a drone using carbon fiber tubes.

As with some first time tests, a total failure can occur and then it’s back to the drawing board.

I was very pleased to see this particular drone fly flawlessly on the first attempt. Since I wasn’t sure if it would even fly, I did not attach any landing gear until I knew it would work. Landing gear has now been added.

The test is pretty simple, as I did not want to stress the drone especially in the front yard. A more demanding test will be conducted in an open field.

However, for the time being, the test was a success and it tells me that I got everything right the first time. Minor adjustments may need to be made as I progress, but it seems like it does all it’s supposed to do. I’ve yet to add a camera and OSD.

But I think it’ll be a pretty stable platform for recording flight videos. The TX system is Paladin and the flight control system is NAZA Mv2.

_________ First Test of Cabron Fiber Tube Drone

https://vimeo.com/704672498[/size]
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius, I'm impressed! Shocked

You took the raw video footage and edit it brilliantly, then you combined it with the perfect music! Cool

The result is a "techno-music video" which tickles the fancy of sci-fi enthusiasts like our members here on All Sci-Fi!

Keep 'em comin', sir! We love this stuff. Very Happy

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently updated this quad with larger motors and new ESC’s. This is the first time that I’ve had a chance to take it out in the field for a genuine test. The location is the (in case you google earth) ballpark adjacent to the aquatic center.

In the video, Lake Mayer can be seen, as well as the parking area for the new soccer field across from the aquatic center.

The video includes snippets of telemetry with the summary at the end of the video. The drone performed flawlessly. The camera is directly mounted to the drone so as the drone moves so does the camera view.

The flight controller is a NAZA M v2, the ESCs are Castle, the motors are sunny sky 2814, the camera is hybrid run cam 2. The editing and transfer process adds some loss of detail and stability from the raw video. But for purposes of the test the drone works well.

SP 2000 QUAD TEST - BALL PARK AQUATIC CENTER

Same drone same day different location, the park with the dried up pond.

_SAME DRONE AT THE DRIED UP POND 6/30/2022

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbius, I continue to be impressed with your brilliant combination of technical skills and artistic excellence! Very Happy

Not only are your videos wonderful, the music which accompanies them is perfect. Thanks for sharing your latest drone test with us, and we look forward to your future experiments in the expanding field of dronology! Cool

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bud, glad you liked it.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have your own Youtube channel like I do! Cool

It would get more views than the Vemeo channel, and it would make it easier for me to jazz up the videos on your posts!

Call me and I'll help you set it up. Drone fans will flock to your YouTube channel and leave dozens of comments! Very Happy

Check mine out!

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s been a little over a month since my knee implant and I’m semi-ambulatory. As an avid droner I thought it would be a good idea to exercise the knee a little bit and also fly a drone to get my drone fix. Since I still can’t drive, my drone excursion was limited to the neighborhood, staying mostly above the roadway in case of catastrophic failure. The drone is a quad. For a homemade drone its fairly stable and the camera is not gimbal mounted. The video has some snippets of telemetry and a final report at the end. Minimum voltage was good indicating I still had several minutes of flight time left. Both the drone and knee performed perfectly indicating a successful recovery underway. The music is from a scene in the fourth series of Stranger Things (Pass the Dutchie by Musical Youth).

https://vimeo.com/743183359
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Quad800

http://www.mrgodzilla.com/drone/1a.JPG

http://www.mrgodzilla.com/drone/2a.JPG
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to move past some troubling life experiences, I decided to test one of my many homemade drones to see if it still works.

I’ve set up drones with betaflight and Inav, but the still reliable NAZA MV 2 performs adequately. I’m satisfied that this drone it will perform anywhere as seen and demonstrated in the video.

But the video is just a convenient location of my front yard.

However, on this occasion the utility workers were doing some work in the neighborhood, and one individual apparently observed the drone. He was so impressed he actually stopped his truck and took pictures and videos of it.

______________ JUST TO SEE IF IS STILL WORKS!

_____

I take credit for portions of the shaky video because of a heavy stick command on the transmitter. But when stable, the video is fairly clear. Cool
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive!

Drone technology is the key to the future!

If "flying cars" or "speeder bikes" become a reality (Which I believe they will!) it will because of research and development like yours!

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right!

Check this out and imagine what's to come!

__ World’s First Passenger Drone Unveiled In China

And here's my latest experiment using square tube carbon fiber.

This is a short video of my square tube quad — just a test in the backyard with all the electrics.

I viewed IT . . . while it viewed ME! Cool

___________________ Carbon Fiber Drone Test

___
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a short video of my latest drone experiment. The frame is made using square tube carbon fiber. Aside from the construction the final assessment is whether the drone provides a stable video environment. This camera is a direct mount. A better system can be used later, but I just wanted to see if the frame was stable.

I keep it over the road it case it comes down. Road is on cul-de-sac so not much traffic if at all

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a short video of a small quad copter I made years ago. I just wanted to see if it still worked. As can be seen from the video it is a very stable platform even though the camera is directly mounted to the drone. This drone is a candidate for a isolated gimbal system and good camera since it already is stable. Note also the crop circle in the grass?

Short Backyard Test of a Small but Versatile Drone

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, these videos are awesome, Tom! Very Happy

It's obvious that you don't just go down to Walmart and buy these things! This is a home-built gizmo with a macho frame and all its gorgeous guts hangin' out!

When I saw this part I thought you were going to zoom down, trim the tree branches, and give heart attacks to all the birds! Shocked

And by God, you took that sucker up so high you can the curvature of the Earth! Cool

Or maybe that's just the way the camera lens makes it look — but hey, a fella can dream, can't he? Mr. Green
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the camera is a wide angle which distorts the horizon when not directly in view. I have made a drone with a sony camcorder that has a 60x zoom. It works great but It needs a rotational gimbal. I'd have to invent that too. As you said — not from Walmart.

And as I've said, great site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: