ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Willow (1988)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Willow (1988) Reply with quote

If you've seen Willow and didn't like it, my advice is to watch if again — this time while under the influence of some mellowing agent like . . . beer or mushrooms or recreational marijuana. Cool

I say this because sometimes we all need a little help seeing the merits of a creative effort which is so packed with talent that it just has to be appreciated.

Willow is a perfect example.

It's based on a story by George Lucas, and it was directed by Ron Howard. The music is by James Horner. The FX were by Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic.

With those kinds of genes in it's cinematic DNA, how could this movie not be a hoot-and-a-half for any audience who saw it?

After all, it's a full-blown Sword-and-Sorcery tale, with wizards and dragons and action galore! Shocked

Admittedly it's a bit too "family friendly" for those of us who crave bare-chested barbarian warriors and bare-chested slave girls, along with sword fights that hack off body parts. Shocked

But this movie substitutes charming characters in the form of actual "little people" in the roles of Hobbit-like citizens in this mythological realm. And the required "quest" for the heroes involves the safety of a pint-sized princess played by an infant actress who's so adorable I just couldn't help remembering how much I loved my own red-haired daughter when she was born in 1980! Very Happy

She's now 44 years old, and she's All Sci-Fi member Ticket2theMoon — a talented audio-visual writer/director who lives in Atlanta with my two equally creative grandchildren. Cool

Gentlemen, this movie is the brain-child of George Lucas, and as such I can't help but like it. I hope the rest of you folks can find the same kind of emotional connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: