ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My sci-fi artwork - Forbidden Planet, Robby, and friends

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Fan Art Gallery 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: My sci-fi artwork - Forbidden Planet, Robby, and friends Reply with quote

This painting of Adams and Morbius was done from a 35mm slide I took right off the movie screen when Forbidden Planet was shown at an "art house" theater in Atlanta. A group of friends and I took over 300 slides from the movie.

The image on the slide was somewhat dark, so I didn't try to do much with the background — which flawed the painting. Sad

But recently I used Paint.net to paste the two figures over a screen grab of the scene in the movie to give the painting a better background. It turned it pretty well.

Notice that part of Adams' back from the screen grab had to be blended with the painting to make this little experiment work!

The painting below was done from a black & white still from the movie. Robby was shaking hands with Cookie in the photo, so I had to change his right arm a bit.

These poses of Warren Stevens were also done from slides taken directly from the movie screen. The figure of Adams is from one of the color publicity stills.

The publicity shot I used for the drawing below is so good I think it's just as much a work of art as my humble drawing. In fact, it took me several attempts to get it right. I kept screwing up Altaira's nose. The drawings below it were all done from B&W publicity shots.

The figure of Robby on the right side below is based pn the color publicity still of the lunch scene.

And these are just robot designs I did for the fun of it back in the 1990s. The next two drawings were done with metallic gel pens. The originals actually look metallic because of the shiny ink, but that doesn't show up on these jpegs, unfortunately. Sad

This robot was designed for a story idea I had. The 2nd picture below is a closeup of the head, and the 3rd picture is a slightly different rendering of the head, but pasted onto the same body.

This is what the alien suits in Earth vs the Flying Saucers should have looked like.(Click on the image to see a bigger, sharper version — then zoom in to study the details. Cool )

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Fan Art Gallery 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: