ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Decade Without 'Trek,' Part 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: A Decade Without 'Trek,' Part 1 Reply with quote

Enterprise ended 10 years ago.....still waiting for more
by Ethan Alter

Stardate: May 13, 2005. That's the day, precisely ten years ago, that Star Trek as a generation of TV fans knew it drew to a close when the series finale of Star Trek: Enterprise aired at 8 p.m. on UPN. More than just marking the end to the four-season run of the series, that episode brought the curtain down on a remarkable 19-year run for the franchise that started in 1987 with the launch of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It also initiated what can be considered Trek's lost decade, at least in regards to television hy have you changed the name from Star Trek Beyond to Star Trek Uncharted?
ten years without a single new series on the air.

Granted, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the 18 television years that separated the demise of Gene Roddenberry's original Star Trek and the birth of The Next Generation. (Though there were blips on the radar during that timespan, most notably the single-season Star Trek: The Animated Series, the abandoned Phase II, and, of course, the launch of the film series.) But the sheer plethora of Trek available on the airwaves between 1987 and 2005 makes its absence over the past ten years all the more pronounced. Under the leadership of executive producer, Rick Berman, that timespan encompassed over 600 hour-long episodes spread across four different series — Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. Not all of those shows were loved or even liked, but they were required viewing for hardcore Trekkies and did their part to enlist young viewers in the ranks of Starfleet.

These are the stories of some of the key men and women who piloted Star Trek on that 19-year-mission to explore brave new worlds and seek out new audiences and new ways of building upon Roddenberry's original vision. It's also the story of Trek's potential TV future, and when or in what form the Starship Enterprise might return to the small screen after a decade away. Because even though Trek is racking up huge grosses at the theatrical box office thanks to the J.J. Abrams reboot, an equally successful TV show is, for now, the franchise's final frontier.....

FULL STORY AT THIS LINK:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/a-decade-without-trek-part-1-these-were-the-118795820890.html
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: A Decade Without 'Trek,' Part 2 Reply with quote

A Decade Without 'Trek,' Part 2: Boldly Going Into the Future
by Ethan Alter

Previously on A Decade Without Trek: The Star Trek franchise returned to television with great fanfare in 1987 with the launch of The Next Generation, stewarded by Trek mastermind Gene Roddenberry and producer Rick Berman. Following Roddenberry's death in 1991, Berman guided Star Trek's four TV incarnations — Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise — until the latter's final episode on May 13, 2005. Since that airing, Trek has been absent from the airwaves for ten years, even as the feature film franchise found new life courtesy of J.J. Abrams and his 2009 reboot, starring Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as the all-new Kirk and Spock.

If history repeats itself, the financial success of Star Trek and its 2013 sequel, Into Darkness, could result in the return of an ongoing series, in much the same way that Next Generation came about largely due to the popularity of the first four Trek features. But the when, where and how of Trek's next TV incarnation remain very much up in the air. We asked our roundtable of key Star Trek creative personnel to talk about how the franchise may boldly go back to television and who might be the showrunner tasked to make it so....

FULL STORY AT THIS LINK:
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/a-decade-without-trek-part-2-boldly-going-into-118951416590.html
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my Star Trek.

I need my Star Trek.

I will have my Star Trek or there'll be hell to pay!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my Farscape,need my FS,I will have my FS again one day!
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big trek fan of course and love the Enterprise but, to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing the next TV series chronicle the adventures of a another ship and crew, like was done with Voyager. Something like the USS Luna, a Loknar class frigate from the refit era:

Shameless confession... I just finished building the above model and really like the design. It looks great from any angle and would look awesome on a television screen. It also would fill a void created when Paramount chose to skip over the refit era and go straight from the original series to the Next Generation for the second iteration of Star Trek on TV. So there would be a certain retro appeal as well.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great model! I loved to see pictures of it from other angles in the our models forum. Very Happy
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Great model! I would love to see pictures of it from other angles in the our models forum. Very Happy

Done!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was just admiring it! And your suggestion about this ship being the star of the next series is a good one.

Voyager remains my favorite Star Trek series, although I think the ship was deliberately designed to be sort of "pretty in her own way".

You know, they way they say, "She's a handsome woman," when they mean she looks strong and intelligent and noble -- but not really sexy. Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Voyager remains my favorite Star Trek series, although I think the ship was deliberately designed to be sort of "pretty in her own way".

You know, they way they say, "She's a handsome woman," when they mean she looks strong and intelligent and noble -- but not really sexy. Very Happy

Wait a minute... Are you talking about the ship or its Captain?

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Wait a minute... Are you talking about the ship or its Captain?

By gum, the phrase fits them both, doesn't it? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: