ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, I'm assuming when you write that you didn't find anything to like about it, that is regarding the writing?

The legendary Derek Medding (and his team) designed & created fabulous miniatures. The film was nominated for Best Special Effects at the time.

I was also most impressed with the lavish looking sets throughout the movie. The mission control room, interrogation room, security area where crucial data is stored, office, and so forth.

The film is terrific eye-candy! The weakness is the story.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to admit it, but I've never been a fan of the Anderson's miniatures in the things they did. Sad

Harryhausen's method of moving the saucers in EvsFS, and the rocket in 20 Million Miles to Earth, is much more to my liking.

Randy Everette sent me a DVD-R box set of UFO. I've never managed to get through it. Sad

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when this picture was made, I thought the miniatures were amazingly realistic. I still think they look pretty good.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Scot. Those look awesome! Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scotpens for those marvelous photos of Derek Meddings (and his team) miniature work.

I also liked Ray's stop-motion animation for the alien flying saucers. It leant them an eerie, otherworldly kind of movement. And, indeed, they did hail from a different galaxy.

On the other hand, Ray's stop-motion animation for the earth spaceship returning from Venus was odd to me. We know what our rockets look like in reality when they fly through the air. Seeing this human made spaceship sail through the sky via stop-motion gave it a peculiarity to me that did not mesh well with the actual newsreel footage of rockets from that era. The rocket ship should have moved in a more believable and relatable manner, like the one seen in When Worlds Collide.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
. . . the earth spaceship returning from Venus was odd to me.. . . [it] did not mesh well with the actual newsreel footage of rockets from that era.

The rocket ship should have moved in a more believable and relatable manner, like the one seen in When Worlds Collide.

With all due respect, Mike, I don't quite get how Ray's rocket was "odd", and the When Worlds Collide rocket was "believable". Confused

To me, the WWC rocket was an obvious miniature, bouncing along a miniature set, throwing up clouds of "snow" that revealed the small size of the prop.

The landing scene is at 1:30 mark below.

_____________ When Worlds Collide (1951) clip

Whereas Ray's rocket looks huge — especially with the shadow below it, and the matted-in fountain of water which the rocket kicked up when it literally "splashed down".

___________ Opening Scene | Spaceship Crash

But of course this is just a matter of taste, Mike. I like the "odd" look of stop motion, whereas I don't like the unrealistic look of miniatures that aren't convincing.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon May 27, 2024 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, the When World's Collide was not perfectly executed given the visual effects technology available in that era, but it looked more normal to me than a human constructed rocket ship returning to earth with its very stylized stop-motion animation. Our rockets simply do not move like that even if the stop-motion is nicely done, as it always was by Ray.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a revision in this post today which clarifies my thoughts a bit on this subject.

I understand, Mike. Very Happy

To be fair, I agree that real rockets don't look like stop motion — but they don't look like miniature rockets either.

So, as I said, it's just a matter of tastes, and you know I respect your opinion

In the interest of finding common ground, I LOVE the shot of the WWC rocket zooming down from the clouds before it hits the snow! It's visually similar to the one in 20 Million Miles to Earth when the rocket first appeared, but not done with stop motion, of course.

But I'm also more impressed with the shots of the ship after it landed in 20 Millon Miles to Earth than the ones in When World's Collide. They thrilled me to core when I saw them at the drive-in with my family in 1957!

Here's what I mean. Mr. Green

But they're both great movies with magnificent special effects!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: