ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Science Fiction Theatre memories
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Science Fiction Theatre (1955 to 1957)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
In an earlier episode (I neglected to write down the name), Truman Bradley informs us, "Recently a chemist discovered certain medicinal powers in hemp." (I think it might have been the episode where a scientist has slowed his aging process by consuming a special honey produced by the bees he kept.)

The last sentence above applies to two separate episodes, one of which is about a man who has lived for over a hundred years by using a rare herb to extend his life (One Hundred Years Young), and the other is about a scientist who developed a remarkable honey which speeds healing and cures diseases (The Strange Dr. Lorenz).

But neither of these has the comment you mentioned by Truman Bradley. All the SFT episodes are on YouTube, and I searched diligently for one which had the amusing remark you mentioned, either at the beginning of the episode or the end!

Perhaps you imagined the remark after enjoying some kind of "recreational" activity. Shocked

Or maybe you heard it in this movie!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Late 1970s Reply with quote

In about 1978 or so, I read one SFan's critical history of TV shows of the genre, and he added, that one show he left off of his list was SF Theatre, since he didn't think it was even worth discussing. I think the writer was unjustly maligning SFTheatre, just like some film fans and pro critics, in my opinion, also unjustly malign as actors, Keanu Reeves and Robby Benson. I'll admit I don't know much about what is good acting, and that others might not agree with me on that statement.

I found SFTheatre a worth while show that I fondly remember first seeing it over Channel 2 from Charleson, SC in the Summer of 1963.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without Science Fiction Theatre one cannot properly understand the in-jole of Back to the Future.

Last edited by Eadie on Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
In an earlier episode (I neglected to write down the name), Truman Bradley informs us, "Recently a chemist discovered certain medicinal powers in hemp."

I have to correct my previous post in which I said I didn't remember that comment by Truman Bradley. I don't know which episode it was in, but have heard it.

_

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: I Will Say That Reply with quote

I will say that I disagree with the idea that having a special thread on SF Theatre was a flop and might not have been done.

I think it was a very good idea.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Music Reply with quote

I especially like the opening theme music of SF Theater, and never get tired of hearing it.

And, the last commercial break followed by Truman telling us to tune in a week from today for another episode.

All of us get tired and bored hearing the same old things over and over again, but in these cases I am never bored by the repetition.

As the prose poem Desiderata reminded us, about our "careers," they are a posession we can hold onto in the changing fortunes of time."
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Music Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:
I especially like the opening theme music of SF Theater, and never get tired of hearing it.

And, the last commercial break followed by Truman telling us to tune in a week from today for another episode.

All of us get tired and bored hearing the same old things over and over again, but in these cases I am never bored by the repetition.

As the prose poem Desiderata reminded us, about our "careers," they are a posession we can hold onto in the changing fortunes of time."

I agree 100%. I also enjoy repeated viewings of the opening "science lessons". I saw these shows as a ~10 year-old kid, and I think that they were a primary reason for my early interest in science. I wish the series had lasted much longer than 2 seasons. Fortunately, they were real seasons, yielding a total of 78 episodes. I guess that would be equal to about 6 seasons by today's standards.

Here's the theme music:
http://www.televisiontunes.com/Science_Fiction_Theater.html

Last edited by alltare on Thu May 07, 2020 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alltare, I agree 100%. I watched this show religiously every Saturday afternoon. I didn't always understand the science behind the stories, but I always enjoyed the opening and Truman Bradley's introductions.

If nothing else it lit the flame for my love of science and the wonders the future held!

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Music Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:

Frankly, I always thought the theme music sounded more appropriate for a radio soap opera.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Music Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Frankly, I always thought the theme music sounded more appropriate for a radio soap opera.

Well, if a person grew up listening to the music from this show while he was just a kid, his affection for it is ingrained.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Science Fiction Theatre (1955 to 1957) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: