ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942) Reply with quote

A film with so many plot twists, every reviewer's synopsis makes it sound like a different movie.

And no wonder — even the characters (and their players) are confusing.

Bear in mind that this is the fourth film in the series, a sequel to "Son of Frankenstein", and it's own sequel is "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman". The director was Erle C. Kenton.

First, let's straighten out who plays who.

Sir Cedric Hardwicke plays a relative of Henry Frankenstein, a doctor who wants to put a normal brain into the monster.

Bela Lugosi again plays Ygor, the evil hunchbacked shepherd, despite the fact that Ygor died in the previous movie.

Lionel Atwill is Hardwicke's assistant, despite the fact that he played a one-armed policemen in the previous film.

Lon Chaney, Jr. ("The Wolf Man") doesn't play the Wolf Man, he plays the monster — but he ends up with Bela Lugosi's brain, because Lugosi tricks Hardwicke into putting his brain into Chaney!

Meanwhile Dwight Frye, the actor who played Dr. Frankenstein's crazed assistant in the original film, plays a concerned villager in this one.

Evelyn Ankers and Ralph Bellamy are among the cast, but I'll be damned if I can remember who they played. Shocked

And now let's deal with the convoluted plot, which goes like this.

The monster allegedly kidnaps a little girl (actually she befriends him), and the townspeople put him on trial for kidnapping. He escapes and gets his brain swapped for Lugosi's, then he goes blind because the Lugosi-brain blood type is wrong for the monster's body. The blind Lugosi-brained monster goes berserk, destroys the laboratory, and gets burned up in the ensuing fire.

There now — that should clear things up once and for all! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same complaint I had for House of Dracula.

Monsters needed to be all together in some scenes.

Have battles.

Had to wait until Bud & Lou met up with them to see that action.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'll add the same comment here as I did after your comment on House of Frankenstein.

These movies would be fun to share in our chat room. Maybe somebody will send me a PM and offer to do this some Halloween. Or even the 4th of July!

I'm not picky!
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Your father was Frankenstein. Your mother was lightning. Reply with quote

Of course the problem with the Frankenstein sequels, of the Universal Studios kind, was that they had to follow the genre firework that was "Frankenstein (1931)" and the monolithic titan that followed that one in 1935, "The Bride of Frankenstein". These are tough acts to follow - still are actually!

"Son of Frankenstein (1939)" managed very well, it had Basil Rathbone in it and Bela Lugosi giving great horror oomph as Ygor. Boris Karloff bowed out as the monster after that one, leaving an iconic legacy and an insistence that the monster didn't speak. The result of Karloff's (ahem) request has proved divisive amongst Frankenstein fans, does it need a voice for personality, or is it better off as a lumbering rage machine only?. Point being that in this one, he gets a voice, courtesy of Lon Chaney Junior's stint in the role, and it's not exactly a success.

Ghost of Frankenstein represents the start of the decline of the franchise, a noticeable drop in quality across the board. It's like Universal caught the cash cow disease and decided that quantity and not quality was what mattered. They would eventually team up the bolted necked one with "Abbott and Costello", with fun results, but the horror aspects began to wane here in 1942. Lugosi is on hand for some more Ygor mischief, Cedric Hardwicke and Lionel Atwill as scientists with opposite ideals are reassuring presences, while Evelyn Ankers is sexy and costumed with a great eye for detail.

At just 67 minutes in length the film thankfully doesn't have time to be boring, though action is in short supply, so hooray for castle destruction and fire unbound!. While Woody Bredell and Milton R. Krasner, via their photographic lenses ensure Gothic atmosphere is consistently ripe. Right, it's time for Universal Monster Tag Teams next... 5/10

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Same complaint I had for House of Dracula. Monsters needed to be all together in some scenes.

Have battles. Had to wait until Bud & Lou met up with them to see that action.

I must admit that these movies tended to give us monsters who rarely faced worthy appointments! Confused

I mean, what's the point of having an indestructible werewolf which never had to battle an immortal vampire?

And why have a newly created monster composed of dead body parts recharged by lightening which never battled an ancient Egyptian, resurrected by a life-renewing curse?

Gentlemen, I must admit that the 1987 movie The Monster Squad addressed all these issues and presented us with a stunning story which pitted a group of brave kids against the combined forces of all the classic monsters! Shocked

That amazing movie gave me the story I always wanted (but never got) while watching the old Universal horror films.
Cool

________________ The Monster Squad Trailer

_________

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has an interesting trivia items about this production. Very Happy

~ Lon Chaney Jr. was known for his hard-drinking ways. During production of this film, Chaney became inebriated while in full costume and got lost in the intricate mazes that were part of the laboratory sets. It took several minutes for him to find his way free.

A similar incident occurred many years later when Chaney played the Frankenstein Monster on an episode of "Tales of Tomorrow." Once again, Chaney became intoxicated and mistakenly believed that the show's live telecast was the final dress rehearsal. For much of the performance,

Chaney stumbled about, picking up breakaway props he was supposed to destroy and then setting them back down.

Note from me:This illustrates the old adage, "Friends don't let other friends drive drunk, especially when they're monsters appear on live television."

Of course, it's been shortened considerable over the years, for obvious reasons. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: