ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution (2001)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ During the lengthy shooting in Page, Arizona, Dan Aykroyd entertained the local folk by carding guests at a bar, unofficially greeting people at Wal-Mart, and visiting locals for a cup of coffee in their homes.

Note from me: I spent a week in Page back in 2000 while visiting my mother in St. George, Utah.

Buy a strange coincidence, I saw Evolution at a local theater in St. George, but that was before the visit to Page. So, I didn't recognize the two when I saw the movie, nor did I realize I was in the city where the movie was filmed when my mother and I spent a week there a few weeks later!

In 2005, I bought the DVD of Evolution and realized that I'd spent a week at the film's shooting location, and I'd actually taken pictures of places which appear in the movie!

In fact, the area where the "meteor hole" was created is actually a "scenic spot" just a few hundred yards off the road leading to Page, overlooking Lake Powell! Very Happy

~ Initially written as a serious science-fiction thriller, Ivan Reitman hired David Diamond and David Weissman to re-write the project as a comedy. The original writer, Don Jakoby, actually enjoyed the changes so much, he continued working on the film alongside the other writers.

Note from me: One of the many reasons I love this movie is the way it resembles a comedic version of the 1950s sci-fi movies set in desert locations. Very Happy

~ Wayne's call of "Ah Ah Ee Ee Tookie Tookie" to the flying monster in the mall was the call of the Tookie Tookie Bird in the cartoon George of the Jungle.

Note from me: The scene in the shopping mall is filled with terrific FX and hysterical humor.

~ The placement of the element selenium in Head and Shoulders shampoo is technically correct. Though regular Head and Shoulders shampoo does not have any of the element, Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo actually does consist of approximately 1% selenium sulfide.

Note from me: The whole "selenium sulfide" joke is brilliant, especially the way it was presented by the two goofy college students! Laughing

~ At the time the film was made no Head & Shoulders product contained selenium sulfide, but the company used the film to introduce their selenium product which was released when the film came out.

Note from me: Amazing! Science fiction inspires science fact!

~ Early in the film Nadine says she wants to be Miss Arizona. As the Governor of Arizona is presenting awards to the heroes at the end, Nadine can be seen in the background wearing a "Miss Arizona" sash.

Note from me: Dan Aykroyd did a great job as the AZ governor, and in that last scene he was announcing several special rewards for the team who defeated the aliens. I'm sure a governor can't really decide who gets to be Miss Arizona — but Nadine was none to bright, so I'm sure the gesture was appreciated.

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this film, glad you brought it up. now I'm searching for my DVD copy to watch again.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a kindred spirit! Good to know, sir. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: