ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secret Panels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Secret Panels Reply with quote

One of my favorite gimmicks in movies & TV is the hidden passageway that is concealed in a clever manner.

The fireplace that moves, the bookcase that slides open, & so forth.

Love seeing what they come up with for this terrific trope.
Always thought it would be quite interesting to see someone do a compilation of all these secret panels from film & television & post them,or do a book. Smile
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What always amusing me is the way such panels and doorways open and close even when the story takes place in a time before electric motors were invented, or in places like caves that are obvious not wired for power, or in ancient temples.

Just what is it that's moving those panels, doors, and huge rock slabs, I always wonder. Sure, counterweights could open up a doorway . . . but it wouldn't close it back. Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
What always amusing me is the way such panels and doorways open and close even when the story takes place in a time before electric motors were invented...

They could be spring-loaded. Then every so often you (or your manservant) would need to rewind the door.

Let's see... The Batman TV series had a cave entrance for the Batmobile concealed by a fake rock door and vines (plus a bonus fold-down road barrier); The Green Hornet TV series had a large ad with split sliding doors covered by the ad's graphics posted on a "brick" exterior wall for the Black Beauty, and a rising fireplace inside for pedestrians; Zorro (TV) had a cave entrance concealed either by vines or behind a waterfall for equestrian egress.

For some reason I got stuck on variations of hidden caves.

WayneO
-----------
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney's Zorro show had 2 (that I know of) entryways to his hidden cave. One was a wall panel with a shelf on it, the other was through a dresser cabinet.

Queen of Swords: By pulling on a wine bottle on a wine rack in the cellar, a wall would swing inwards to a secret room.

90s Zorro TV series had a fireplace as the secret panel to the cave.

The Munsters: Had that wonderful main stairway that could rise upwards & show us Spot's den.

Thunderbirds had a huge swimming pool that slid open which covered T#1's exit. T#2 exited via a cliff face that slid open.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E: The wall in a changing room in Del Floria's would open inwards to UNCLE headquarters.

Hogan's Heroes: The bottom bunkbed would rise upwards & the floor below it downwards to reveal the entrance to the heroes underground complex.
PumamanRedux
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Batman 1966 series there was Batgirl's secret changing area behind her vanity desk and the Batgirl cycle dock that was entered via an iris type opening.

Then a section of wall fell down and the cycle as ridden off on to fight crime
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On The Adventures of Superman Clark Kent hid his S uniform behind a false wall in his closet. On YouTube they even show 3 different versions of it.

On the Superboy TV pilot from 1960 they show a revolving bookcase in the Kent's home that Clark uses to enter his secret cave lair.

I believe that there was some kind of secret panel on Lois & Clark:The Adventures of Superman.However,I never watched the show much,so I cannot tell you what it was.

Wonder if the 60s Addams Family TV show had any secret panels in their mansion?
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pye-Rate! This is an excellent site for real secret passageways.

I see we can add Gotham as the latest TV show to include a secret panel. Wayne Manor has a moving fireplace that leads to a cave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: