ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retro Red Planet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Retro Red Planet Reply with quote

It took two years of work to finish this diorama but it's finally done! Nearly 50 lbs of plywood, ceramic tile, and sand comprise this piece...

Retro Red Planet Diorama by trekriffic, on Flickr

The scene depicts an emergency landing by the TWA Mars Liner "Solar Flare" in the deserts of Mars south of the Olympus Mons escarpment which rises to a height of almost four miles in the distance...

Retro Red Planet by trekriffic, on Flickr

Nearby stands the atomic powered MARRV (Mars Advanced Rapid Response Vehicle) patrol and rescue ship piloted by the legendary space ace, Captain Horatio Barnes...

The MARRV, using it's new magnetic grappler, has just towed the "Solar Flare" safely away from certain disaster in the asteroid belt after a fried circuit board disabled her guidance systems. As Barnes exits his ship and readies the portable gamma welder for repair of some minor hull damage, the spaceliner's captain approaches...

"Thanks for saving the day", comments Major John "Jack" Mason as he nears the MARRV, "but your grappler dented my ship !"

Jack points a gloved finger at a small hole and dimple barely visible in the side of the "Solar Flare"...

Barnes, mildly amused, says nothing as he flips a red switch on the welder which emits a low hum as it comes to life; although, in the thin atmosphere of Mars, no one could actually hear it.

Smiling ruefully, he shakes his head and glances up at TWA's most experienced pilot.

"Now you know that wasn't my fault Jack. Remember that pesky little asteroid I blasted with my laser cannon? You must've caught a fragment from the explosion. But don't worry, she'll be good as new when I'm done." Barnes stands and removes the gamma welder from it's cradle; moments later he starts to work sealing the hull breach with its finely tuned invisible beam...

Meanwhile, co-pilot Anna Voltaire descends the ladder from the spaceliner carrying a tool box for Captain Barnes' return flight. Inside she's packed a few snacks from the ship's galley; a small gesture of thanks for rescuing the ship and her fifty passengers. Stepping off the bottom rung onto the fine sands of Mars she glances up, momentarily transfixed by the grandeur of Olympus Mons looming majestically in the distance...

"Oh my", she breathes,"It's so... so incredibly beautiful. It really...it really does takes your breath away. How close to those cliffs are we?"

Jack's voice crackled in her helmet, "Hard to say. About 50 kilometers I'd guess. Olympus Mons, the biggest volcano in the solar system, extinct or otherwise."

An hour later after inspecting the weld and calling it good, Captain Barnes lifts off to resume his duties patrolling the Martian spaceways ...

MARRV Liftoff with Moons by trekriffic, on Flickr

I still remember watching episodes of Retro Red Planet on our old black and white TV as a kid with my brother and sister.
How can anyone forget that Strategic Space Command music at the start? Classic!

Retro TV by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Thu May 03, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 8 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those shots look great. The thin atmosphere would, I suppose, make far-away cliffs look nearer, but Mars is a fairly small planet, so cliffs 50 km away would have to be exceedingly tall to be visible over the horizon.

Anyway, I love the scenario and the screenshots. Nice that TWA has staged a comeback in space - the old Trans World Airlines expired fourteen years ago. Checking dates on Wikipedia, I see it outlasted Pan Am by a decade - though Pan Am's Orion III space clipper was prominent in 2001: A Space Odyssey...

How would some of those shots look in monochrome? Rather reminiscent of some older classic movies, I suspect. Wink
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Those shots look great. The thin atmosphere would, I suppose, make far-away cliffs look nearer, but Mars is a fairly small planet, so cliffs 50 km away would have to be exceedingly tall to be visible over the horizon.

To be honest I have no idea how high those cliffs would look from 50 kilometers away on Mars. I just picked a distance that sounded impressive. That said, considering those cliffs are almost vertical and rise more than 2/3 the height of Mount Everest they would make quite an impression even at 50 kilometers I would think.

Custer wrote:
How would some of those shots look in monochrome? Rather reminiscent of some older classic movies, I suspect. Wink

Hmmm... interesting idea. See for yourself...

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love those little footprints! Very Happy

WayneO
-----------
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Love those little footprints! Very Happy

You'll like this one then... Very Happy

untitled2 by trekriffic, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last but not least, here's the final image that a friend of might composited for me...

After completing temporary repairs to the "Solar Flare", the MARRV fires her engines and lifts off to resume her duties patrolling the space lanes over Mars...

Make sure to stay tuned for more adventures of Captain Barnes, United States Space Patrol!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, I hope my mom lets me come over and play at your house! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black & white versions do look good...probably a sepia version would be going to extremes! The final shot is very nice, though a Mr John Carter assures me that the moons of Mars don't look quite that big from the surface...
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
The black & white versions do look good...probably a sepia version would be going to extremes! The final shot is very nice, though a Mr John Carter assures me that the moons of Mars don't look quite that big from the surface...

I'm sure you are right about that. I think maybe they are that large just for dramatic effect though.

Here's another version with no moons:

I edited this in Flickr! using their aviary tool. This effect is called "Concorde". To me it looks a lot like what we saw on our old grainy black & white TV's back in the 50-60's. I can imagine back then they would have used flares to simulate the twin rocket exhausts.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dramatic effect wins out, for sure. And the "aviary" version looks pretty dramatic, too... or "Concorde" version, rather. You can practically hear the roar of those rockets! Smile
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Dramatic effect wins out, for sure. And the "aviary" version looks pretty dramatic, too... or "Concorde" version, rather. You can practically hear the roar of those rockets! Smile

Here's a few more in "Concorde" style...

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the trouble you went to to get sand to the right colour for Mars, we find the black & white versions, especially with this filter, the most atmospheric. There's probably a moral there - but on the other hand, we do get two sets of science fiction adventure stills for the price of one! Wink
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
After all the trouble you went to to get sand to the right colour for Mars, we find the black & white versions, especially with this filter, the most atmospheric. There's probably a moral there - but on the other hand, we do get two sets of science fiction adventure stills for the price of one! Wink

Yes. There is definitely something to be said for black & white imagery...

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun...

Saturday afternoons we all gathered around the console TV to watch
the latest Captain Barnes space adventure!

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen a television like that - would it have worked as a radio as well?

It certainly gives a sharp, if slightly tilted, picture!
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: