ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) Reply with quote

Hot dog! I love the trailer below for two reasons! Very Happy

First, the movie looks spectacular. I think this one is going to be much more satisfying for me personally than The Force Awakens.

Second, the trailer DOES NOT do that damned "slide show" thing, where quick scenes are shown briefly, separated by a fade-to-black between each scene. I hate that! Confused

Enjoy this terrific trailer for what looks like a great movie.

___ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer (Official)

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the movie today, in 3D, I'm planning to watch its sequel/continuation very soon - "A New Hope," I think it's called...

Definitely the best role Peter Cushing has played for a while, and nice to have cameo appearances by Artoo and Threepio, with Leia's adoptive father also playing a useful part in things. And an interesting cameo right at the finish!

A nice long credits roll at the end - no extra scene, of course. I like that the credit for "Special Effects" went to just one name, he must have been busy... though there were the usual endless lists of people on that side of things later on down.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felicity Jones, the star of the new "Rogue One" film in a very "Star Wars" type of dress. From Treks in Sci-fi.

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually forgotten that I "enhanced" the fan-created poster for this movie back in August when I started this thread! (I wasn't impress by the official ones.)

Here's the original fan-created poster I started out with.

And here's the "Brewsterized" version I posted at the top of this thread!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your version is certainly clearer and with better colours. Interesting the prominence they give Mon Mothma there... not that she appears in the main official version:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I saw that one before I fiddled with the fan-created poster. The one you posted looks great.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many fans (including me) were disappointed that there was no opening "crawl". A fan has rectified that!

http://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-rogue-one-opening-crawl-video/
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - and searching for that on YouTube, I found these crawls too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I1MFq0UAwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paIOe6dVSqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mD471F1WOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yphwbTUl0_A

That last one is a bit amateur, but not the only place that spells the title as "Rouge One" - red faces all round, right? But they all have the music...
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Rogue One yesterday and liked it very much. I did not realize that John Williams did not score the music, and his music was missed.

I saw the movie in 3D, and I am not sure if the 3D was worth it.

I liked it, as well as episodes 4-6 and the previous movie, and better than episodes 1-3. The story and acting was fine. I wanted to see more of our robots. There was an opportunity to show them again near the end of the movie, but they weren't seen.

To my surprise, the theater was almost empty. It was Christmas Eve.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, seeing R2D2 and C3PO again at the end would have been sensible. Watching "A New Hope" a day after "Rogue One" I did feel that they could have meshed the scenes on board the Tantive IV a bit more faithfully. Darth Vader seemed to do more fighting in the new version, rather than just striding in after the ship had been secured. I had thought that Princess Leia looked to have overdone the cosmetics a little, but she did look remarkably similar in "A New Hope."

We still got the main John Williams Star Wars themes, but it is a pity he didn't take control of all the music. I guess since he is 84 now he feels that he deserves a little relaxation time...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about how close in appearance to Carrie Fisher the actress who plays Leia in Rogue One really is, so I did a bit of online research and found this at the website called Independent.

At 60, Carrie Fisher was too old to play a version of Princess Leia Organa younger than the one she played in the original Star Wars trilogy — and apparently, she couldn't even do the motion capture for the CGI version of the character, even though it used her own likeness.

It appears that Norwegian actress Ingvild Deila played Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia in the film, at least judging be her IMDb credit and this Twitter hint she posted a few days before Rogue One's release.

Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin, meanwhile, was based on motion capture of Holby City actor, Guy Henry.

Both CGI replicas were breathtakingly executed — but raise a few ethical questions.

_Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - CGI Tarkin and Leia Organa

_________

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Independent was a British newspaper from 1997 until last March, when its final daily issue was printed. Its website continues, however — presumably depending on advertising.

There are ethical questions with using CGI versions of people in movies or television, indeed. Peter Cushing's estate was happy to agree to his appearance in this film — presumably they got a fee, and one assumes Carrie Fisher did too.

Apparently there is a copyright-type rule in force in the USA which would stop you from using a likeness for a certain number of years without explicit permission. This means that eventually Marilyn Monroe, for example, will be "public domain".
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally watched Rogue One: A Star Wars Story today, and I was very impressed! Very Happy

The first hour was dramatic and interesting, a fine piece of character development. But I was beginning to wonder if the action scenes would balance out the drama . . . when suddenly the story went into high gear, and it knocked my socks off! Shocked

I found my socks an hour after the movie was over, sitting on top of my entertainment center behind Buzz and Woody! Shocked

I loved the climax, with Vader's amazing scene in which he waded through a dozen Alliance soldiers, deflecting blaster bolts, yanking weapons out of their hands, throwing the people around like dolls, and cutting one poor guy in half! Sad

By the way, I'd like offer a slight correction to the statement below.

Custer wrote:
Darth Vader seemed to do more fighting in the new version, rather than just striding in after the ship had been secured.

Actually, that scene did not take place aboard the Tantive IV, and it was not part of the scene in A New Hope, which took place weeks or months later (story wise).

The scene in Rogue One happened on a ship the Tantive IV was docked with while the Alliance fighters were trying to make it to the airlock. After that battle in the corridor, we saw the Tantive IV rip itself away and fly off, while Vader stood at a ragged hole in the hull (somehow not being sucked out) and watched it leave.

By the way, I do agree that a quick shot of C3PO and R2D2 aboard the Tantive IV just before we see Princess Leia would have been helpful. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Darth Vader was a little tired after his exertions on that other ship, and felt able to take a more relaxed approach to the fighting on the Tantive IV.

Where did the "Tantive" name come from, I wonder? Perhaps from "Tantivy," a fox-hunting term connected to riding at a full gallop, possibly based on the sound of a hunting horn? There was a submarine called HMS Tantivy in World War II, apparently.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue One is an astounding film which completely rejuvenated my enthusiasm for the Star Wars — much more so than The Force Awakens did, both with its great story and its special effects, with clever homages to A New Hope which delighted me while watching the movie.

We see X-wing pilots from the original Death Star battle delivering similar lines we heard in A New Hope, and I loved the ingenious way they created a CGI Peter Cushing to appear as Morf Tarkin.

__ How 'Rogue One' Recreated Grand Moff Tarkin

The film is so true to the original Star Wars that it took me back to my younger days when I was a mere lad of 29 in 1977, and it dazzled me with a pure Star Wars story — despite the fact that it left out light sabers, Wookies, Jedi Knights, the Emperor, Tatooine, and even C3PO and R2D2 (except for a very brief cameo).

But the aspect of the plot which truly won the heart of this humble author was the way they took an element of A New Hope that has been derided for years and used it as the foundation for the plot!

I'm referring to the often-ridiculed idea that the Death Star had an exhaust port which was ready and waiting for somebody to drop a torpedo into it so that the whole thing would go Ka-blewy!

However, in Rogue One we learn that his clever Achilles Heel was deliberately built into the Death Star by its chief designer so that the Alliance could eventually give the Empire a very bad day! Very Happy

This clever plot device and the relationship between both the Death Star's designer and his devoted daughter won my respect for this movie. It's the polar opposite of the negative feelings I felt towards The Force Awakens when Han Solo's bratty son killed his daddy because he idealized Granddaddy Vader for all the wrong reasons!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: