ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spacesuits — the Future, the Present, and the Past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the headline to a story is worded in order to encourage the public to read the story. I think this is the case in this situation.

And, to the public, they know the difference between a flight suit and a space suit from the shuttle flights and movies like Apollo 13.

I am glad you guys read the posts.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suit pressure would only have to be slightly higher than cabin pressure to maintain the rigidity of the helmet. Makes a lot of sense and must be more comfortable to wear and much easier to put on and take off.. Love the look though, and it could come in different colors too.
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's The Times newspaper has an article on the new blue suits, headlined "Smurfs in Space"... Very Happy
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Watch Stephen Colbert wear THE space suit Reply with quote

Stephen Colbert wore the blue space suit on his 2/24/17 episode. It is definitely a space suit.
LINK:

http://beyondearth.com/stephen-colbert-suits-up-starliner-style/

and here is the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUO5HO0C8qc

and here are two photos:

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be worn in the capsule. It's a pressure suit. However, if I see video, or photos of them spacewalking in one, then I will admit it is a space suit. Laughing

How come we know that space suit is two words, but Boeing doesn't?

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a website that addressed the question of whether or not the Boeing suits were just "in the spacecraft" suits to protect against a drop in pressure, of if they were designed for actual EVA's.

The article in TechRevu included these paragraphs.

When astronauts climb into the Starliner for their trip to the ISS and beyond, they won't wear a full EVA suit like the ones NASA currently packs astronauts off in.

Instead, they'll put on the "Boeing Blue" space suite designed for the Starliner, a lightweight, flexible suit that's easier to put on and take off whose mission isn't to boldly go into hard vacuum, but to get them safely to the station and back again.

It makes sense. The Starliner may offer a shirtsleeve environment, but astronauts may experience a variety of different pressures as they transit to the space station, and the possibility of pressure loss in the cabin can't be ignored.

It may not be a full fledged EVA suit, but it's got some features that NASA suits can only envy, including a 40% weight reduction over current suits, and much greater flieibility.

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
the "Boeing Blue" space suite

Are there multiple rooms in the capsule, or do people just not proofread their articles anymore?

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so tough on folks, David. I make more typos than anybody around here, and yet I fix dozens of other folks' mistake's on All Sci-Fi everyday!

I just want us all to look as smart as we really are. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Don't be so tough on folks, David. I make more typos than anybody around here, and yet I fix dozens of other folks mistake's on All Sci-Fi everyday!

I just want us all to look as smart as we really are. Very Happy

But Bud, these are professional, technical people trying to convince us at how competent and and smart they are. This really doesn't give me much confidence in the quality of their products. Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mercury suits were not "space suits" either, they also were pressure suits. The first true "space suits" were developed for the Gemini program and they even had drawbacks during EVA. As with the Russian suits that Leonov used, White found that full pressurization made re-entry to the capsule difficult as the expansion made the suit too big to fit in the hatch.

The true EVA suit wasn't developed until the Apollo Lunar surface suit.

If you recall, the Apollo astronauts basically were in "long underwear" during most of their flight.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
But Bud, these are professional, technical people trying to convince us at how competent and and smart they are. This really doesn't give me much confidence in the quality of their products. Laughing

I know exactly what you mean, David.

However, as an author I've learned that any good piece of published writing is the product of the teamwork between the writer and his copy editor (a glorified proofreader).

The writer's job is to present ideas in a clear and entertaining manner. The copy editor's job is to fix the purely technical errors the writer makes.

With no pretense at modesty, I think I'm a damn good writer — but as a proofreader, I really suck! I'm "typo blind" to the errors in my writing, so I have to re-read everything I write about six times . . . and even then I miss typos! Shocked

Therefore, I place the blame for the misspelling of "suit" in that article squarely on the copy editor. He/she was supposed to catch that! But either way, your original statement about the competence of the people who published the article still stands. Smile

And yet, just to illustrate how easy it is to make typos, you said the people who published the article were trying to show us " . . . how competent and and smart they are." Very Happy

I'll leave that typo for you to fix. But the rest of the time, I promise to be the loyal site admin / editor-in-chief of All Sci-Fi. This board is sort of like an on-line magazine which presents facts and opinions about science, science fiction, and other topics of interest.

I'm proud of the authors who contribute to this board, and I make sure that the intelligent comments they post aren't marred by minor errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Hey, I've definitely got your back, Dudes! Cool

_______

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean "CHIEF" ?????????????????
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
And yet, just to illustrate how easy it is to make typos, you said the people who published the article were trying to show us " . . . how competent and and smart they are." Very Happy

So I sometimes have a stuttering problem. Thanks for pointing that out for all to see. Way to rub salt in a wound. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Did you mean "CHIEF" ?????????????????

What? Oh, crap!! Shocked

Well, I guess you'll believe me NOW when I say I'm "typo blind", eh? Embarassed

That's what happens when the copy editor doesn't have a copy editor!
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . I make more typos than anybody around here, and yet I fix dozens of other folks mistake's on All Sci-Fi everyday!

That should be "other folks' mistakes."

Oh, sorry — were we talking about spacesuits?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: