ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) Reply with quote

ttps://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/paramount-reveals-official-title-terminator-6/

This summer, Terminator 2: Judgment Day will celebrate its 28th anniversary, but in all the years since its release, the franchise still hasn’t given us another installment that’s been particularly worth watching. And even though most fans are approaching the next Terminator film with a fair amount of skepticism, the involvement of James Cameron as producer does bode well for it.

Since filming wrapped last November, we haven’t seen any footage from the project and though we have witnessed a little behind-the-scenes content, we’re still pretty in the dark when it comes to what we can expect. One thing we do know now, however, is the official title, as Paramount has revealed that it’ll be called Terminator: Dark Fate. Without having any plot details to dig into and no explanation from the studio, we’re unsure of what the meaning behind the moniker may be, but at the very least, it’s definitely a better title than what we saw with the last installment, which was called Terminator Genisys.

In any case, aside from Cameron and of course, Arnold Schwarzenegger returning to the franchise, we can also look forward to seeing Linda Hamilton reprising her role as Sarah Connor. And as for the newcomers, Mackenzie Davis is on board as a soldier-assassin named Grace, while Gabriel Luna is thought to be playing a new type of Terminator. All things considered, it’s a solid cast and one that we hope can return the property to its former heights.

From everything we’ve heard, it definitely sounds like the team’s trying to recapture the magic of the first two outings, and we’ll find out if they’ve managed to do just that when Terminator: Dark Fate arrives on November 1st, 2019.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Eadie! Cool

Here's two fan-made speculation videos and one helluva trailer that will knock you socks off! Shocked

______ Terminator 6: Everything We Know So Far

_ Terminator 6 Dark Fate EVERYTHING We Have So Far

___________ Terminator 6: Reboot Trailer 2019

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah Connor Back in Action, Earns Huge Applause The original Terminator star is back in front of the camera and press already can't get enough.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/terminator-dark-fate-footage-cinemacon-linda-hamilton-1202055948/

After striking out hard with critics and at the box office with Terminator Genisys in summer 2015, Paramount Pictures is resetting the beloved action franchise with the upcoming Terminator: Dark Fate. Original franchise director James Cameron is producing the movie and worked closely with filmmaker Tim Miller (Deadpool) to relaunch the franchise with Terminator: Dark Fate, which will serve as a direct sequel to Cameron’s The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Paramount used its CinemaCon presentation to launch the first trailer for Terminator: Dark Fate, and it left a lasting impression on the press.

Appearing onstage, Miller said there are still months left of VFX work needed to complete the movie and therefore the footage screening at CinemaCon was not final. Paramount showed off two clips from the movie and a reel. The first clips prominently featured Mackenzie Davis, who is seen time traveling and landing in Mexico City and fighting police in the first one. The second clip found Hamilton interrupting a fight between Davis’ character and two Terminators. Hamilton’s Sarah Connor is seen firing off a bazooka and saying, “I’ll be back.” The line prompted a huge reaction from the audience.

Terminator: Dark Fate stars Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes, but the film’s biggest selling point is the reunion between original Terminator stars Arnold Schwarzenegger and Hamilton. The latter’s portrayal of Sarah Connor in The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day is iconic and now the character is returning for the first time with Hamilton in her shoes in decades.

Paramount Pictures will release Terminator: Dark Fate in theaters nationwide November 1. Check out first reaction footage below (at site).

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed some of TT early films. Honestly though, the concept is worn out & become convoluted with all its time travel plot lines.

Time to retire the Terminator.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess their trying to do the next best thing: "retire" all the movies after Cameron's two initial films and start up (story-wise) right after that.

Yeah, I know . . . that's not the same thing as "moving on", and I'm not sure it will work, but if this new "third film" works well with the first two, watching them back-to-back as a triple feature might be fun! Very Happy

Time will tell. After all . . . the future is not set! Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator: Dark Fate official teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyEX6u-Yhs

Terminator: Dark Fate James Cameron featurette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxPeVTIanzs

Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to see it this afternoon.
Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. It held my interest.
Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two producer / creators of the Dark Angel TV series teamed up again for this film. Did anyone else notice that in the credits? They are credited with the story and helping with the screenplay.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son saw it yesterday and liked it quite a bit. He said it mainly referred back to the original continuity.
Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the Dark Angel touch with Grace, a super soldier, a human weapon, from the future sent back in time to protect Dani from the Terminator.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 47 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ During filming, the director had to tell Linda Hamilton to stop smiling when she was firing guns.

Note from me: Yep, Linda is a bad-ass! Very Happy

~ James Cameron considers the film to be a direct sequel to his own films The Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991).

He was not involved in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003), Terminator Salvation (2009) and Terminator Genisys (2015), so Terminator: Dark Fate disregards the events of these films, as well as the short-lived TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008).

In 2017, Cameron commented that while he was generally supportive of those films due to his close friendship with Arnold Schwarzenegger, he was ultimately unsatisfied with them, so he decided to produce a proper sequel himself. This means that Rise of the Machines, Salvation, Genisys and Sarah Connor Chronicles are being described as occurring in alternate timelines.

Note from me: When I get the DVD from Netflix to watch it for the first time, I'm going to watch the first and second films before viewing Dark Fate. Very Happy

~ Producer and series creator James Cameron has stated that he was involved in the movie's writing, but didn't interfere with Tim Miller's direction, as he never visited the set.

However, after the first rough cut of the movie, Cameron stepped in for some uncredited editing (as he is an accomplished editor), finding Miller's version to be "pretty rough [and] pretty long". He admitted that he and Miller had their share of disagreements, which at times "became a bloodbath. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. But that's the creative process, right?"

Miller, in turn, acknowledged the behind-the-scenes disagreements, but stated that many of these came down to "stuff that I had cut that [Cameron] thought was important", and "small lines that I saw as "poetic and beautiful" but which he didn't care for". Miller also said that although he maintained a good relationship with Cameron, he preferred to have more control on his next projects, and would be unlikely to work with him again.

Note from me: I suspect that Mr. Miller's movie was greatly improved by Cameron's assistance.

~ In the early phase of the development, director Tim Miller invited a group of sci-fi writers to brainstorm about ideas for the movie. The group included Greg Bear, Neal Stephenson, Neil Asher, Warren Ellis and Joe Abercrombie.

Abercrombie came up the idea of a human soldier who is surgically enhanced to be stronger, but requires a lot of medication to deal with these enhancements, which would later develop into Grace (Mackenzie Davis).

Note from me: I admire Miller for doing that!

~ Mackenzie Davis was really naked in the scene where Grace fights the cops in the nude. The costume department offered Davis flesh colored underwear, but she declined to use them.

Note from me: When you've got it, flaunt it!

~ In previous installments it is established that dogs can detect and will bark incessantly at Terminators, so humans employ them as an early detection device. In this film the aging T-800, "Carl," owns a dog that quietly allows him to pet it. This subtle detail signals that despite Sarah's skepticism, Carl has in fact become more human and empathetic.

Note from me: That's a pretty effective way to show the change in the nature of that particular Terminator.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this movie lost the studio between $100 million to $130 million, and the studio has abandoned their plans to make two more sequels because it was such a disastrous follow-up to T2 — a great movie which ended the story perfectly by destroying Skynet, thus rendering all sequels completely pointless. Rolling Eyes

Several critics summed up the obvious reasons why this film was a bad idea, especially the way it chose to callously kill young John Conner in the first few minutes, thus negating all the heroism of the first two movies by kicking them both right in the teeth! Shocked

The critics listed below summed up my own disappoint in this movie extremely well. Sad

Fred Hawson of ABS-CBN News wrote, "Deciding to lose John Connor early on in this one made the emotional heart of the first two classic Terminator films stop beating as well."

Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times argued that killing John Connor ruined what the previous two films established.

"Even though Dark Fate tosses aside the third, fourth, and fifth entries in the series like a Terminator disposing of a hapless cop, it also undercuts the impact of the first film and the follow-up (which is one of the two or three greatest sequels of all time). They get rid of the John Connor character in almost casual fashion."

Corey Plante of Inverse said, "The future that made [Sarah Connor] important died with John, and now there's a new Terminator story with a new set of heroes that makes it seem like no matter how many times Skynet or its next iteration sends a murder robot back in time to kill someone, there will always be a new hero waiting to rise up."

"Those first five minutes completely disregard the only sequel that fans love — Terminator 2. What was the point of all that struggle, all of Sarah's desperate attempts to keep herself and her son alive? John Connor might be dead weight at this point, narratively speaking, but he was our main connection to the original films, and his death renders both of those movies pointless."

Matt Goldberg of Collider felt the opening did irreparable damage to the legacy of Terminator 2 by rendering it pointless.

"Every sequel since has diminished the ending of Judgment Day because the story 'needs' to continue (because studios like money and can't leave well enough alone). But Terminator: Dark Fate may be the worst offender thus far as its prologue directly follows T2 and goes for shock value rather than considering what it means to continue the narrative."

Richard Trenholm of CNET felt the opening twist summed up everything wrong with Dark Fate. "The joy [of seeing the de-aged characters] instantly becomes cringeworthy, as this prologue undermines Terminator 2 by killing a major character in such a cursory fashion it just feels silly."

Krel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what I am reading is true, then this renders "The Terminator" pointless and impossible .

No John Connor, the no Kyle Reese. No Kyle Reese, then no John Connor.

No Kyle Reese, then John Connor, then no Terminator travels into the past to kill Sara Connor.

No Kyle Reese, then no John Connor, than no "The Terminator" and no "Terminator 2".

No T1 and T2, than a lot of innocent bystanders get to live...Until Skynet drops the hammer.

No John Connor, than no Kyle Reese, which equals no Sara Connor's in the mix, than no Terminator franchise.

No Terminator than Bill Paxton gets killed by one less iconic monster.

The Titanic was probably the worst thing that could have happened to James Cameron, it made him like George Lucas.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel, your analysis is brilliant . . . and I'll fight anybody who dares to deny it! Shocked

You described exactly why I got so frustrated with Dark Fate that after watching less than half of it I simply ejected it from my BD player, stuffed the DVD back into the Netflix envelope, and tossed it into my mailbox!

I kept thinking, "Good Lord, Terminator 3 is better than this! And Terminator: Genesis is WAY better than this!" Rolling Eyes

As an author with two novels available on Amazon, and with 2 1/2 illustrated versions of those novels proudly displayed right here on All Sci-Fi, it distressed me deeply that Cameron would trash his own original films with this shocking negation of the concepts we all admire and respect.

A good writer knows he has to build on his prior work and respect the solid foundation which made it possible to continue his story.

Conversely, he is NOT supposed to tear down his own foundation and start building from the ground up just because he can't think of ideas as good as the ones that made the initial premise a legend in the eyes of his fans!

I guess I might get around to watching all of Dark Fate one of these days . . but only because I'll want to see if Cameron managed to salvage some portion of my former respect for him during the later portion of this unfortunate sequel a great film — T2: Judgement Day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: