ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gojira vs. Desutoroiâ (1995)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Gojira vs. Desutoroiâ (1995) Reply with quote

I've a feeling this is going to be Godzilla's last fight.

Godzilla is on the verge of nuclear meltdown, which spells doom for mankind. At the same time horrifying new organisms are discovered in Japan. These crustacean like beings are seemingly born of the Oxygen Destroyer, which was the weapon that killed the original Godzilla. From such things the mighty Destoroyah is born - the toughest enemy Godzilla has ever faced...

It's not only the last of the "Heisei" era of Godzilla, it's also one of the best in the whole franchise. It was meant to be the swansong for the big atomic lizard, which would have been fitting as it happens, but when Centropolis took up the rights and produced the must chastised 1998 blockbusting Matthew Broderick pic, things changed...

G-Force is on the case here trying to find out what the hell is going on (armed with the new awesome Super-X III), which brings in the human facor coupled with some wonderful sci-fi babble. Godzuki is in here, but he's not the cute goggle eyed cuddly thing we have seen before, he looks like the big parent only in smaller form - and here having junior in the piece works.

The effects work isn't the best of the series, and some of Destoroyah's abilities are strangely not explained - which is annoying. Fans of all things "Zilla" will rejoice at the nods and homages to the past "Zilla" entries, which is credit to Toho Studio for showing respect to their baby (and the fans).

The great Akira Ifukube came out of retirement to musically score this one, and he doesn't disappoint, blending the traditional Tokyo stomp thunders with emotional swirls. Ah yes, emotion, this be the one that has it in utter abundance. There is wonderful colour, carnage, laser shows and beast smack downs, but ultimately the emotional heart of the pic is what rises it up towards the top end of the Godzilla franchise. 8/10

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, the trailer at the bottom of this posts looks spectacular, and if I were a fan of Japanese monster movies, this one would tinkle my fancy 'till I peed in my pants, I swear to God! Laughing

Spike wrote:
. . . but when Centropolis took up the rights and produced the much chastised 1998 blockbusting Matthew Broderick pic, things changed...

Heck, I shouldn't really blame true 'Zilla fans for not liking the 1998 American movie just because it tried to "fix something that wasn't broken" — in their opinion.

But not mine. Sad

For my money, a well-done battle between a monster and a worthy opponent looks more like this

— than like this! Shocked

However, I guess it's just a matter of taste. It's nothin' personal. After all, I'm a divorced guy who "married for looks" . . . twice . . . and lived to regret it. Rolling Eyes

Still, you can't really blame me . . . right? Wink

_______ Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah (1995) Trailer

The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I must admit, the trailer at the bottom of this posts looks spectacular, and if I were a fan of Japanese monster movies, this one would tinkle my fancy 'till I peed in my pants, I swear to God! Laughing

Spike wrote:
. . . but when Centropolis took up the rights and produced the much chastised 1998 blockbusting Matthew Broderick pic, things changed...

Heck, I shouldn't really blame true 'Zilla fans for not liking the 1998 American movie just because it tried to "fix something that wasn't broken" — in their opinion.

But not mine. Sad

For my money, a well-done battle between a monster and a worthy opponent looks more like this

— than like this! Shocked

However, I guess it's just a matter of taste. It's nothin' personal. After all, I'm a divorced guy who "married for looks" . . . twice . . . and lived to regret it. Rolling Eyes

Still, you can't really blame me . . . right? Wink

_______ Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah (1995) Trailer

You rock, no matter what, Bruce my man.
The Spike
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

I don't hate the 98 film, there was no way it could have lived up to the hype so was on a downward curve in many eyes before it had chance to be given a fair crack. It's not great, but it's hardly the devil's spawn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Japanese Sci-Fi Cinema All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: