ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fireball XL5 (1962 - 1963)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Fireball XL5 (1962 - 1963) Reply with quote

Don't know if I got the punctuation and spelling correct on this Saturday kid's puppet TV show correct or not, but my use of the Search Function, and my scrolling thru the list of TV Sci-Fi shows didn't show anything, so this might be the first post.

The main thing I remember about this one is the theme song, beginning lyrics:

I wish I was a space man
the Fastest guy alive . . .

Ending lyrics:

My hear would be

A fireball

A Fireball

As you would be
My Venus of the Stars

On the radio show Coast To Coast AM, this song was among the audio interludes, although I have not listened to Coast To Coast, in a long time, because my radio broke.

I was warned by a cousin of mine not to listen to Coast To Coast AM because it was "demonic."

Well, I will listen to whatever radio shows I want to listen to.

Don't know if Coast To Coast AM should be listed in the Links thread or not.

Same with the Forteana mesage board, both of which are related to Science Fiction, and I would think some other board members might be familiar with.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete extended song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M26fZ4O9qus

BONUS

Stingray 1964 - 1965 Opening and Closing Theme (With Snippets)

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fireball XL5 Reply with quote

filmdetective wrote:
Don't know if I got the punctuation and spelling correct on this Saturday kid's puppet TV show correct or not . . .

Well, almost. It's Fireball XL5, with no hyphen.

I loved that show when I was a kid. I believe it was the first sci-fi show to depict an interstellar mothership with a separate landing module (the detachable nosecone "Fireball Junior"). It was also the only Gerry Anderson series to be picked up by an American network. NBC ran the series in its Saturday morning children's block from 1963 through September 1965. All the other Supermarionation shows were syndicated for U.S. distribution.

I never liked the song played over the closing credits. Too poppy and bubble-gummy. It just didn't seem right for a science-fiction show -- even one aimed at children!

Last edited by scotpens on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireball XL5 takes place in the year 2062.

The United Planets Organization has arisen as inhabited planets have been discovered and joined together in order to maintain peace and order throughout the universe.

Earth has its World Space Patrol which operates from the Space City headquarters located on an island in the Pacific Ocean and off the coast of Chile.

Commander Zero is in charge of the W.S.P. He is the one who organizes the space patrols in the various sectors under Earth jurisdiction.
Zero also supervises freight deliveries going to the numerous Earth colonies, research bases and space stations.

The W.S.P. has in its fleet Light Patrol ships, Space Rescue ships, Q spaceships and cargo ships.

The primary spaceship are the XL vessels and the pride of the fleet is the Fireball XL5.

Astronaut Colonel Steve Zodiac is the pilot of FXL5. Robert is the robot assistant to Steve.

Last edited by Pow on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FilmDetective-

The theme song was discussed somewhere in another thread, and some good Youtube videos were mentioned:

The original version with lyrics:
https://youtu.be/ed0jsVgIHu8

A very cool retro 60's version by Dominic Halpin:
https://youtu.be/Nb80imqbwa0

and Halpin's full length homemade video, which ends with the song:
https://youtu.be/oxIW-G5z_g0

and finally, for something completely different, the Craig Fergusen version:
https://youtu.be/Tsjj-_NB3es
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Astronaut Colonel Steve Zodiac is the pilot of FXL5. Robert is the robot assistant to Steve.

Three other main characters that you didn't mention are Venus, the hot babe to whom the Fireball song was sung, Zoonie, who was the Jar Jar Binks of the series, and Professor Matthew Matic, a scientist.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fireball XL-5 Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
I never liked the song played over the closing credits. Too poppy and bubble-gummy. It just didn't seem right for a science-fiction show -- even one aimed at children!

Without seeing any episodes, I probably would also have thought the Fireball song to be inappropriate, but now I rather like it. I would have had the same feeling about Straus Waltzes too, until I saw 2001-A Space Odyssey.

OK- Maybe I shouldn't have compared 2001 to a kids show, but it's all scifi, so it's all good.
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, a British company produced a transparent model kit of Robert the Robot in the 1960s. I've been looking for one of those kits for years.

As much as the main story lines, I have always enjoyed seeing the extent of details that were incorporated into the panoply of miniatures made for the sets. There must be a huge amount of work that went into them that often goes unnoticed.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
As much as the main story lines, I have always enjoyed seeing the extent of details that were incorporated into the panoply of miniatures made for the sets. There must be a huge amount of work that went into them that often goes unnoticed.

Half the fun of watching the Supermarionation shows was recognizing the various bits that were sourced for the miniature sets and vehicles. For example, this Thunderbirds "Helijet" was kitbashed from two Kaman Huskie helicopter model kits and engine nacelles and partial wings from a B-58 Hustler model.

BTW, I don't mean to be a back-seat moderator, but there's really no need to make 4 consecutive posts! There's an "edit" button, you know.

Last edited by scotpens on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
BTW, I don't mean to be a back-seat moderator, but there's really no need to make 4 consecutive posts! There's an "edit" button, you know.

I understand, Scotpens. Actually everything was originally just one post, but since I was replying to 3 different people, I decided that it would be less confusing if I made individual replies to them. The 4th message wasn't a reply. It was just my rambling thoughts.

Plus, I think my avatar, which was designed by Bud Brewster, is pretty nifty, so I saturated this thread with it to keep him mollified Very Happy.

You seem to know more about plastic models than I do. Have you ever seen a Robert Robot kit?
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:

. . . Actually everything was originally just one post, but since I was replying to 3 different people, I decided that it would be less confusing if I made individual replies to them.

Okay, no big deal. Some boards actually have rules against making two or more posts in a row. But we're not quite so anal-retentive around here, right?

alltare wrote:

You seem to know more about plastic models than I do. Have you ever seen a Robert Robot kit?

No, but there are probably a few toys and playsets that include a Robert the Robot figure. I believe Robert's head was an inverted plastic drinking cup!

Incidentally, the flying scooters (called Jetmobiles) were created so the puppets wouldn't have to be shown walking. Even for a skilled puppeteer, it's next to impossible to make marionettes walk believably.

Last edited by scotpens on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBERT THE ROBOT model kit

And if you want your own FIREBALL XL5....

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the lunch box with the Wally Wood art in first grade (maybe kindergarten), and carried it all through grade school. I wish I could remember what happened to it.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fireball XL5 is powered by a nutomic reactor that allows the vessel to safely reach Space Velocity 7.

The spaceship can reach Space Velocity 14 and exceed the speed of light.

Such accelerated speeds can cause the crew to blackout and is not recommended except for extreme emergencies.

FXL5 has a detachable nose-cone designated as Fireball Junior. FJ is used for planetary exploration why the main body of the ship remains in orbit.

The ship has crew quarters, a lounge, lab, navigation bay, brig, central control room, storage bay and a ejection room from which crew can leave the ship for EVAs using oxygen pills and thruster packs.

The ship is armed with Interceptor blast missiles.

It also carries 3 jetmobile vehicles for planetary exploration.

Last edited by Pow on Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I got the lunch box with the Wally Wood art in first grade (maybe kindergarten), and carried it all through grade school. I wish I could remember what happened to it.

David.

This one?:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: