ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indian Summer (1993)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Indian Summer (1993) Reply with quote

_________

"Indian Summer" was produced by Touchstone Pictures/Buena Vista Pictures.

It was released on April 23, 1993 and in a sense can be considered a companion piece to "Meatballs," although these films were produced by entirely different studios.

Synopsis: "Unca" Lou Handler is the beloved owner and director of Camp Tamakwa, who invites a group of former campers from the camps golden years, twenty years ago, to return for a visit in the autumn.

Seven friends, now all adults, take up Lou's offer. Once they arrive they start to feel nostalgic memories about their days at Camp Tamakwa and how they grew and evolved back then.

Reuniting is a joyful experience for them, but they all have different issues going on in their current adult lives.

As they experience their Indian summer, they each begin to face their respective problems. With help from "Unca" Lou, and each other, they start to face the realities in their lives they must learn to deal with . . . including "Unca" Lou's own situation.

The movie was filmed at the beautiful Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada.

So, "Meatballs" captures the time in our lives as either a camper or counselor — mostly with fun & zaniness, but with deeper moments too.

Indian Summer is a look back by adults to their camper years. Innocent times filled with hope.

The adults in the film are friends and do like hanging out with one another. However, as adults they now face the real world outside of summer camp, and it isn't always a pleasant world for them.

They view the camp as a temporary escape from those real life stress, pressures, disappointments, and frustrations.

They all realize this is a temporary escape or respite, and that all of their various problems will be facing them when leave camp.

However, the camp and "Unca" Lou proves not only to be a fun getaway for them all. It serves as a place that allows them to be truthful about their lives. It also gives them the insights and courage to deal with their lives.

A wonderful cast, a beautiful locale, and an interesting story make this an entertaining film — as well as a poignant one which looks at both childhood and adulthood.

As they are different times in our lives, they can also link us together. We realize that all of us have losses, hurts, and flaws.

We can see that we can be one another's confidant, cheerleader, and supporter — and that forgiveness of others and ourselves is something we should all aspire to.

______________ Indian Summer (1993) trailer

Last edited by Pow on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's well-written review — along with the trailer — has me just itchin' to watch this movie! Very Happy

Unfortunately, Netflix says it isn't available in the United States! Very Happy

I suppose I could just buy it from Amazon for $10.99 (and I might just do that) because the trailer makes it look like a good movie!
Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched my recently arrived dvd of IS today.

I found that it still is a wonderful film and holds up very well indeed.

What is nice is that it so well mixes the drama of the characters with moments of fun and humor.

The writer & director was able to juggle his cast of 9 so very beautifully. Each actor has their moment, or more, to shine.

No one is left behind or ignored.

The scenery is gorgeous and the camp is pretty darn cool.

Appropriately enough, the autumn colors are fantastic to behold.

I think autumn also is a time of big change for most us.

Going back to school, off to college, graduated from high school or college and entering the work world. Maybe entering the service.

The autumn season, perhaps more than any other, can stir up memories of our past. Make us reflective & yearn for friends & situations from years ago.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
The autumn season, perhaps more than any other, can stir up memories of our past. Make us reflective & yearn for friends & situations from years ago.

This is a great observation, Pow.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bud.

Maybe this feeling regarding autumn doesn't apply to everyone. Especially US states that do not see the fall colors like we have here in N.Y.

I just relate to this movie so much because I was a camper & counselor; loved both those times in my life. Fantastic memories.

The film also addresses some aspects in my adult life too.

One of my best memories was one autumn many years ago.

I returned to the camp I had been a counselor at for several summers.

No one was there of course as it was late October.

So odd to see the camp surrounded with the beautiful fall foliage with nobody else around at all.

Quite different from my days there when it was summer and the camp was crowded with both counselors and campers.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Maybe this feeling regarding autumn doesn't apply to everyone. Especially US states that do not see the fall colors like we have here in N.Y.

Ironically, when I read your original statement about autumn I really didn't know what you meant.

Then you explained the statement, and I realized you were absolutely right. I had never thought about autumn that way, but your statement made it suddenly seem obvious!
Very Happy
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB The movie was shot at writer-director Mike Binder's actual childhood summer camp, Camp Tamakwa in the Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada.

Mike attended the camp ten times.

Scenes were filmed after the regular camp session ended in August. Filming continued into September which can be very cold. A few outdoor scenes involving flashbacks of when the adult cast were kids at summer camp were shot.

The campers had to be wearing summer shorts and outfits for these flashback scenes of summer camp even though it was quite cold. The production crew went to nearby Huntsville, Ontario where they bought all the space heaters they could find so that the kids could keep warm between takes.

The Indian God of Weather was Wakanda and was an Omaha god.

Ashley Williams film debut.
Ashley Williams, who plays Ida Heinberg in flashback scenes, is the younger sister of Kimberly Williams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: