ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep Blue Sea 2 (2018 direct-to-video)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Deep Blue Sea 2 (2018 direct-to-video) Reply with quote

This direct-to-video sequel to 1999's Deep Blue Sea has little to praise, unless you like movies that allow you to go to the bathroom without bothering to pause the DVD.

Trust me, you won't miss anything important, story wise. Rolling Eyes

Here's the plot: Five genetically engineered sharks get smart. The forgettable cast gets eaten (mostly). The audience regrets the fact that playing with cell phones during a movie is considered rude. In this cause it should be optional . . .

Maybe I missed something important during my bathroom break, but I never figured out why the "smart sharks" routinely swam in a V formation like a flock of geese, and they obeyed the little red remote that Trent Slater (Rob Mayes) wore on a chain around his neck.

I suspect the three screenplay writers couldn't think of a good reason for this and hoped nobody would notice. Unfortunately somebody did. Wink

The CGI FX are badly flawed by the simple fact that these sharks swim faster than torpedoes, which makes them look a lot less like real sharks. But the filmmakers wanted really fast sharks, so one of sharks gives birth to about 30 babes, and they act like a school of piranha. This gave the movie the ability to show people with the skin ripped from their bones, because we all know how boring it's gotten just to see sharks biting off arms, legs, and heads. (* yawn . . . *)

I feel the need to say something good about this movie (other than free unlimited no-penalty bathroom breaks), so I'll throw in my whole hearted endorsement for the title work, which shows Danielle Savre swimming with various sea creatures in some beautifully filmed scenes.

Miss Savre has a pair of legs that would keep guys awake at night and make sharks want to evolve a keener appreciation for young ladies who swim with them.

Get the delux tour of Miss Sayre's charms with the video below . . . and skip the rest of the movie.

_____________ Deep Blue Sea 2 Opening Music

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of genetically engineered "intelligent sharks" is fascinating, but it wasn't used to good advantage in the first movie, and I suspect it wasn't used well in this direct-to-video sequel, either.

But this trailer makes the movie look mighty exciting . . . Shocked

And yet the Wikipedia article for this movie has this to say under "Reception".

On Rotten Tomatoes the film has a score of 0% based on reviews from five critics.

Wow . . . that pretty cold! Sad

After reading the plot summary I realized that this movie (and the 2nd sequel) are perfect example of why the better movies from the 1950s are superior to films like these. The classics had concepts that serve as the foundations for the plots.

Movies like the Deep Blue Sea trilogy present a sketchy concept and then attempt to hold the audience's attention with fast-paced action, gore, and special effects.

The "concept" (smart sharks) is basically just an excuse make yet another Jaws rip off. Sad

_______ DEEP BLUE SEA 2 Official Trailer (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: