ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Matrix Reloaded (2003)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: The Matrix Reloaded (2003) Reply with quote

For many folks, The Matrix was a knock-your-socks-off movie. We'd never seen anything like it . . . and we liked what we saw.

The concept was amazing, the stunts were draw-dropping, the FX were glorious, and the climax had numerous "Holy Mackerel" moments.

It was, of course, a tough act to follow.

Some folks felt like it was too tough, and the sequel was disappointing. The film did it's best to top the action in the first one, and it certainly went all out, but large-scale action scenes aren't necessarily better than an exciting one-on-one combat like what we saw between Neo and Agent Smith.

The sequel also ratcheted up the story with even wilder concepts concerning the way the Matrix worked. We saw Agent Smith do the cyber version of what Pinocchio did ??? he turned himself in a real boy.

Naturally we all loved the amazing freeway battle, but the scenes with the soap opera elements involving the "Matrix people" (like the French guy and his sexy jealous wife) got a bit too wacky for my taste. It strained credibility that all these "people" were computer programs that acted like human beings, right down to marriage infidelity and jealous "significant other".

I, for one, figuratively rolled my eyes at all this stuff and yearned for a story that got back to ruthless machines that turned people into Duracell batteries, with nasty "agents" like Smith who hated mankind because he was sentient enough to feel smug and superior.

By the time the movie started presenting things like the Keymaker and Architect, my eyes weren't rolling anymore, they were firmly crossed in abject confusion! Neo learned that he wasn't THE "One", he was the sixth "One", and his purpose in life was to reboot the system so that mankind could continue being happy little batteries for the damn machines!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who would have preferred a resolution to this story which freed the Hebrew slaves in Goshen and allowed Neo to lead them out of Egypt and back into the Promised Land of the real world!

_______________ Matrix Reloaded - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ GM donated 300 cars for use in the production of the movie. All 300 were wrecked by the end.

Note from me: Amazing. One movie wrecked more cars than all the beautiful Dodge Chargers in The Dukes of Hazzard series! Shocked

~ Around 97 percent of the materials from the film sets were later recycled after filming had been completed. In one example, tons of wood were sent to Mexico to build low-income housing.

Note from me: Back in 2001 I went to Mexico with a church group and spent a week building a house for an impoverished family. We used a lot of plywood. The family was extremely grateful, and I have fond memories of the experience. Very Happy

~ Sean Connery was originally picked to play The Architect, but turned it down because he couldn't understand the concept of the movie. Connery mentions this in an interview on the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The (2003) DVD.

Note from me: My sympathies are entirely with Sean! I still don't know what the hell all the stuff in that scene meant! (Hell, does anybody understand it? I doubt it.) Rolling Eyes

~ Only a few of the Smith clones were actually played by Hugo Weaving. Open casting calls for males with similar body shapes and structures took place, and Weaving's head was superimposed on them later.

Note from me: Well, now . . . here's some real irony! Multiple copies of a computer generated character are created by altering the appearances of stunt men . . . using computer generated faces! Cool

~ Martial arts training for the lead actors and actresses started in November 2000, and lasted eight months.

Note from me: The lesson to be learned here is that if you think being a movie star is all glamor and glitz, think again. Sometimes it involves months of work and sweat and bruises. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: