ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Colossus of New York (1958)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has nine interesting trivia items for this production, all but one of which contained information I was not aware of! Very Happy

~ The Colossus costume was eight feet tall, weighed 160 pounds and was made from burlap, plastic, rubber and fine chicken wire. Inside, there were batteries, cables, air tanks and oxygen tubes.

Note from me: I've always been curious about the details of this amazing suit's construction! Cool

~It took stuntman Ed Wolff (who was 7 foot tall) 40 minutes to climb in and out of his Colossus costume, so a special rack was built where he could rest whilst still in costume in between shots.

Note from me: This is exactly what the Forbidden Planet crew did for both Frankie Carpenter and Frankie Darro during their time in the Robby suit.

~ The funeral sequence had to be reshot because actor Ross Martin, who was in the coffin, fell asleep and his snoring drowned out the recorded dialogue.

Note from me: I don't know if I believe this story or not, but I love it! Laughing

~ Originally released on a double-bill with The Space Children (1958).

Note from me: Gee, I think I've mentioned that on All Sci-Fi a few times. Very Happy

~ The film features an unusually restrained piano score by Van Cleave. This was not so much an artistic choice but brought about by a musicians' strike.

Note from me:I own the DVD, which has the Van Cleave score for this movie and The Space Children. I listened to the YouTube presentation I posted above today while making this post. Very Happy

~ This film was released on DVD and Blu-ray by Olive Films on June 19, 2012, marking its first-ever official home video release

Note from me: I was overjoyed when they finally released two of my favorite sci-fi movies on DVD after waiting for decades!

For years prior to this I was forced to watch a VHS copy of this movie from TNT (which aired in the middle '80s) and The Space Children from the first-ever airing on the USA network in 1986.

Both the DVDs and the Blu-rays were worth the wait — and well worth the money. After waiting for over 50 years, I bought both versions!

You can still get both of the DVD versions from Amazon in their "package deal" for $36.33! Cool

Please consider adding these two classics to your collection . . . and watching them with me in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room (< — LINK).

~ Russian-born production designer Eugène Lourié, who had previously worked with René Clair, only directed four films in his career of which this is the second. The others were The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953), The Giant Behemoth (1959) and Gorgo (1961).

Note from me: I love both Colossus and Beast, but I don't care for Behemoth or Gorgo.

~ The film barely rates a mention in director Eugène Lourié's autobiography, "My Work in Films".

Note from me: A friend told me years ago that a book published by a notable film historian years ago stated that when he asked actress Mala Powers about her memories of this production, she just smiled and said, "Hmmm . . . was I in that?"

Apparently she didn't have the kind of fond memories of her experiences from this film that Miss Peggy Webber — the founder of C.A.R.T., the California Artist Radio Theater — did when she co-starred in The Space Chidren.

I exchanged emails with Miss Webber back around 2005.

She related many of her experiences during the filming of The Space Chidren.

When I told her about All Sci-Fi and that my screen name was Bud Brewster because of my longtime love for that movie, she started signing her emails as, "Your Space Children Mom".

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always admired Otto Kruger's powerful performance in this movie, but I never knew he played a suave, ultra-successful attorney in a pre-code 1933 movie called The Women in His Life.

In the opening scene at a posh night club we see Otto and a dazzling beauty in a satin evening gown as they discuss a wager on Otto's next shot on an Art Deco pinball machine.

If he wins, she agrees to go home with him and have sex! Shocked

How do I know that?

Trust me, they make it abundantly clear in this stylish and well-made movie. But if you don't believe me, watch this clip, listen to the dialog, and watch the smoldering looks these two give each other. Notice the sexy way Otto gently lifts up the drooping shoulder strap of her low-cut gown . . . twice.

Miss Muriel Evans positively sizzles. In fact, the whole movie is so hot you could roast marshmallows over it. Shocked

The Women in His Life (1933) Pre-Code Film Otto Kruger Muriel Evans Pinball Scene

In the scene that follows, Otto and Muriel are riding home in Otto's limousine and he casually asks her where she'd like to go. In a sultry voice she says, "You won, didn't you?"

Otto smiles at her as he takes a slender, chrome microphone from a clip next to him and speaks to the driver.

"To the apartment, Carter." Wink

Want more proof? (Of course you do!)

The next day we see Otto's plush, expansive outer office with a very busy staff as his sexy blond secretary (Una Merkel) answers an intercom call from a legal associate.

"Is the chief still busy, Miss Simmons?"

Una (who was an absolute doll in those days) smiles knowingly and says, "Yes, Mr. McCain . . . VERY busy."

"Blond or brunette?"

"She's a blond. You know the one, that night club girl, Catherine Watson."

"Do you suppose she'll be with him long?"

Una's eyes go a bit sultry as she undulates back and forth in her chair for a moment when she answers. "That depends on whatcha call long. I'd say probably until after breakfast . . . tomorrow."

And the scene cuts to a lingering closeup of the lovely crossed legs of the aforementioned Miss Watson, sitting on Otto's desk in front of him, smoking seductively. (And I don't just mean the cigarette she's puffing on!) Shocked

Okay, so now that we've tested my writing skills by describing that scene, watch it on YouTube and tell me if I did it justice. Very Happy

1933 Pre-Code Film THE WOMEN IN HIS LIFE Otto Kruger Isabel Jewell Art Deco Design

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has nine interesting trivia items for this production, all but one of which contained information I was not aware of! Very Happy

~ The Colossus costume was eight feet tall, weighed 160 pounds and was made from burlap, plastic, rubber and fine chicken wire. Inside, there were batteries, cables, air tanks and oxygen tubes.

Note from me: I've always been curious about the details of this amazing suit's construction! Cool

~It took stuntman Ed Wolff (who was 7 foot tall) 40 minutes to climb in and out of his Colossus costume, so a special rack was built where he could rest whilst still in costume in between shots.

Note from me: This is exactly what the Forbidden Planet crew did for both Frankie Carpenter and Frankie Darro during their time in the Robby suit.

~ The funeral sequence had to be reshot because actor Ross Martin, who was in the coffin, fell asleep and his snoring drowned out the recorded dialogue.

Note from me: I don't know if I believe this story or not, but I love it! Laughing

~ Originally released on a double-bill with The Space Children (1958).

Note from me: Gee, I think I've mentioned that on All Sci-Fi a few times. Very Happy

~ The film features an unusually restrained piano score by Van Cleave. This was not so much an artistic choice but brought about by a musicians' strike.

Note from me:I own the DVD, which has the Van Cleave score for this movie and The Space Children. I listened to the YouTube presentation I posted above today while making this post. Very Happy

~ This film was released on DVD and Blu-ray by Olive Films on June 19, 2012, marking its first-ever official home video release

Note from me: I was overjoyed when they finally released two of my favorite sci-fi movies on DVD after waiting for decades!

For years prior to this I was forced to watch a VHS copy of this movie from TNT (which aired in the middle '80s) and The Space Children from the first-ever airing on the USA network in 1986.

Both the DVDs and the Blu-rays were worth the wait — and well worth the money. After waiting for over 50 years, I bought both versions!

You can still get both of the DVD versions from Amazon in their "package deal" for $36.33! Cool

Please consider adding these two classics to your collection . . . and watching them with me in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy Room (< — LINK).

~ Russian-born production designer Eugène Lourié, who had previously worked with René Clair, only directed four films in his career of which this is the second. The others were The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953), The Giant Behemoth (1959) and Gorgo (1961).

Note from me: I love both Colossus and Beast, but I don't care for Behemoth or Gorgo.

~ The film barely rates a mention in director Eugène Lourié's autobiography, "My Work in Films".

Note from me: A friend told me years ago that a book published by a notable film historian years ago stated that when he asked actress Mala Powers about her memories of this production, she just smiled and said, "Hmmm . . . was I in that?"

Apparently she didn't have the kind of fond memories of her experiences from this film that Miss Peggy Webber — the founder of C.A.R.T., the California Artist Radio Theater — did when she co-starred in The Space Chidren.

I exchanged emails with Miss Webber back around 2005.

She related many of her experiences during the filming of The Space Chidren.

When I told her about All Sci-Fi and that my screen name was Bud Brewster because of my longtime love for that movie, she started signing her emails as, "Your Space Children Mom".

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William (Bill) Malone with his thoughts about that OTHER robot from the 1950s! Laughing

__ William Malone on THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: