ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Waltons (1972 -1981)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: The Waltons (1972 -1981) Reply with quote

The Waltons was created by Earl Hamner and ran on the CBS Network from 1972 until 1981.

This was a very well written, directed, and acted television series with heartwarming stories.

One of my favorite episodes was not what could be considered a typical one for this fine show.

"The Ghost Story" was first aired on February 14, 1974 (but really would have been better served as an episode run on Halloween, or close to All Hollow's Eve).

The episode delves into the paranormal when a young boy is staying with the Walton family. Strange events unfold that defy logic.

The episode was nicely directed by Ralph Waite who played the father of the Walton family.

He creates an eerie atmosphere and has some splendid shots. One is when John-Boy & his brother Jason are in the barn at night. The wind is blowing through the trees as they hunch over a Ouija board with just the glow of a single lantern.

The Inspiration Channel currently reruns TW and does so in episodic order. Interestingly I have noticed that they always skip over this particular episode.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love those episodes of "non-genre" series that include an episode of supernatural or sci-fi topics. It seems as if that even in the most basic realistic environment a touch of the unusual may arise.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, The Waltons had a few genuinely creepy episodes!

Remember the scene in Poltergeist with the large, clown doll is suddenly gone from a chair when lightening flashes illuminated it in the dark bedroom?

I recognized that scene as a less effective version of one in a Waltons episode that was incredibly spooky — despite being done with a Raggedy Ann.

The episode is The Changeling (s7-ep5).

Elizabeth is in her bedroom and strange things begin of occur — objects moving by themselves, etc. As I remember, the doll itself was never shown actually moving, the scene just cut to it a few times and it's shown in a new position . . . closer to the girl! Shocked

Oddly enough, when I first composed this post I described the scene as taking place during lightning flashes in the darkened bedroom. But when I looked up info about the scene, I was completely mistaken!

Isn't it strange how our memory can play tricks on us? Kinda spooky, ain't it? Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: