ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parasite (1982)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Parasite (1982) Reply with quote

_________________ Parasite (1982) Full Movie

Goldweber, David Elroy (2012-06-14). Claws & Saucers: Science Fiction, Horror, and Fantasy Film: A Complete Guide: 1902-1982 (Kindle Locations 55405-55428). David E. Goldweber. Kindle Edition.

It's actually a rather bold idea to offer 3D to older teens or college kids rather than junior high schoolers. And Parasite is not a bad attempt.

All my guides, and most viewers on the IMDb, give low ratings, but on its own terms Parasite is at least average in giving us the sleazy thrills that it promises.

The script and rhythm bog down in the second half, stopping almost dead several times. But you never wait long for fistfights, laser pistols, or strange gore, with the escaped sluglike parasite growing larger as it moves from host to host.

The body count could have been higher, and there should have been more parasites. Humor would also have helped. As it is, a sour angry mood mutes potential camp.

But Parasite is better than its reputation. Demi Moore has a small early role as a kind girl who helps our gaunt soiled hero. Moore became famous after walking around naked in About Last Night (1986).

~ David E. Goldwebe

I found this less exciting than the above review. It ambles along more like a slice-of-life drama than a sci-fi horror thriller.

The setting is this out-of-the-way town, which has become even more out-of-the-way since the suggested atomic setback. It picks up in the last third, when a government agent makes life miserable for the few town inhabitants before meeting a grisly end. The little monster isn't really a dominant threat until later either.

Demi Moore's role is not small. She's 2nd-billed and is one of 2 or 3 main characters.

BoG's Score: 3 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Krel

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this one at the show, it was okay with a couple of nice ideas.

A scientists steals a bio-war experiment from a lab to find a cure and is chased by a company Troubleshooter (emphasis on shooter). The Scientist gets infected in the lab, and then is REALLY interested in finding the cure. Laughing

The movie begins in the lab set from the same year's "Forbidden World" with it's McDonald's Styrofoam container walls. That is LITERALLY what they are. They bought a bunch of Styrofoam containers from McDonald's and glued them to the walls. I think that the set was probably built for FW, because you only see a small section in the beginning of this movie, but it is very recognizable.

A funny story. A group of us went to see the movie, and before it we were talking about thinkgs we'd like to see in an SF movie. I said that I always wanted to see a "Wild, Wild West" sleeve device with a raygun. Well, low-and-behold the company Troubleshooter had a LASER up his sleeve!

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: