ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sleepwalkers (1997~1998)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Sleepwalkers (1997~1998) Reply with quote

Sleepwalkers ran on NBC from November 1, 1997 until May 31, 1998 eleven episodes with two episodes unaired.

Created by Stephen Kronish (MacGyver, Unsub) and David S. Goyer (Freakylinks, Threshold, Batman Begins, Jumper, Flashforward, The Dark Knight Rises, Krypton).

Synopsis: A high-tech team of dream researchers uses their experimental computer technology to enter peoples' dreams and nightmares in order to help them deal with their subconscious turmoil that is adversely affecting their waking lives.

The Dream Team: Running the Morpheus Institute is medical doctor Nathan Bradford (Bruce Greenwood). Dr. Bradford is a brilliant man but due to some incident at Stanford regarding his dream research he was dismissed.
He now runs his Morpheus Institute with his dedicated team.

Their mission is to try and help anyone who seeks help from their constant nightmares that no one else is able to resolve.

One of the people they hope to help is the comatose wife of Dr. Bradford.

Kate Russell (Naomi Watts), Naomi has a vast knowledge of mythology and archetypes from many cultures and religion.
Kate enters the dreamworld of the patient and attempts to discern what the images, figures, and settings are exactly in order to get to the bottom of the emotional and psychological and physical trauma the patient is suffering from.

Kate's right hand during these sessions has a high-tech glove which allows her to communicate back to the laboratory what is occurring in the dreamworld. Her message transmits words onto a computer screen.

As a young girl in her native Australia, Kate was exploring a mine with her parents and brother. Only she came out of the mine alone with no memory of what happened to her or her family.

Vincent Konefke (Abraham Benrubi) is the mastermind genius who has designed the Morpheus Institute's highly sophisticated technology. Vincent monitors all the vital functions of the patient, Kate, and anyone else who enters the dreamworld in the sleep pods in the lab.

Steve Turner (Michael Watson) is another loyal dream researcher. Like Kate, Steve, enters into the dreams/nightmares of a patient. Steve is an intense, passionate, and impetuous individual who is never shy about voicing his any disagreements with the team. He is always well meaning but sometimes his emotional nature can create problems.

Ben Costigan (Jeffery D. Sams) is a military jet pilot with a family. In the pilot, Ben is the one suffering from terrible nightmares which are affecting his ability to fly. He seeks out the Morpheus Institute because he is so desperate. At the same time he is unconvinced this newfangled dream therapy is nothing more than voodoo.

There are 6 episodes currently available on Youtube. The quality is very good.

I recall watching this series back when it first debuted and enjoying its premise. In the dreamworld they could concoct any wild types of sets or visual effects in telling a story, and that's exactly what they did in this intriguing show.

This was another fascinating series that unfortunately did not find an audience and was cancelled after only one season.
A shame as it offered so much potential with this concept.
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like "Dreamscape", but with a machine instead of telepathy.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched Dreamscape in the Chatzy room a few weeks ago, but frankly I've never been overly impressed with it, despite the fine cast. Sad

The cheap-o 1980s keyboard soundtrack is just part of what I disliked.

However, your description of this series sounds better than the 1984 movie, Pow. I think I'll watch the six available episodes. Very Happy

Sleepwalkers - Phase 1+2: Something is Buried in Bethlehem / Night Terrors (TV Series 1997-1998)

Sleepwalkers - Phase 3+4: Forlorn / Counting Sheep (TV Series 1997-1998)

Sleepwalkers - Phase 5+6: Eye of the Beholder / A Matter of Fax (TV Series 1997-1998)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel, Sleepwalkers reminded me of the NBC series Reverie that ran from May 30, 2018 to August 8, 2018 for 10-episodes.

On Reverie, Mara Kint (Sarah Shahi) would help people that were trapped in a high-tech advanced virtual-reality simulation by entering their simulation to see what went wrong.

NBC canceled this intriguing and entertaining show just as they did to Sleepwalkers twenty years earlier.

NBC, you're making me mad!!!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
NBC, you're making me mad!!!

Apparently someone can become a network executive and "sleepwalk" through each day without applying conscious thought to the merits of the series being produced! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: