ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a Title

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garthozz
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Title Reply with quote

Many years ago I read a fascinating sci-fi novel which began with the lead character regaining consciousness and realising his brain had been transplanted into some other sort of being. I think his first thoughts were along the lines, "Long way between bars out here.” because he was in a desertlike scene. I think his background was that he was some sort of government agent, maybe travelling in time, and I think he come up against an android adversary which was a Korg robot. Anyone know what the story title is and who wrote it? I'd love to read it again.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tired a few Google searches using the clues you provided, but I struck out. Sad

The closest I can come to what you described is Phoenix Prime by Ted White.

The paperback has fine Frazetta cover art. Cool

The story is about an average guy in New York who suddenly develops superhuman powers (an evolutionary leap on his part), and a group of other men with such abilities don't want him to threaten their secret world domination, so they use their own powers tp send him to a desert region on an alien world . . . stark naked.

Can you provide any more info about the story you read or the novel itself? Was it paperback or hardcover? Approximately when was it published? Do you remember anything about the cover art?

I'd love to help you solve this mystery. Meanwhile, throw us a bone by adding a few more posts to All Sci-Fi. We really need 'em.
Very Happy
Garthozz
Space Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:16 am    Post subject: I found it Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

I found it via a Google search. The title is "A Plague of Demons" and it's by Keith Laumer, a prolific SF writer. Although I got a bit wrong - there’s no Korg robot in the story. Dunno where I read that bit.

I don't see a way of adding the cover pic to this.

Dave
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found it, Dave! Thanks for posting such a challenging request. I wish I'd been able to find it for you Very Happy

I located many different covers with Google image search and "hot linked" the one below from GoodReads — something I don't normally do because websites ask people not to.

But I'll post their info about it to make up for it

GoodReads

A Plague of Demons by keith Laumer ~ $3.60 4 1/2 stars

Investigating the disappearance of soldiers in the midst of battle, John Bravais is transported off-planet by alien beings who are using soldiers from Earth to fight an interstellar war

Available on Amazon <— link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: