ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Arrival (1996)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: The Arrival (1996) Reply with quote

When the world is threatened by aliens invaders, there's only one man who can save us!

Charlie Sheen.

Okay, so maybe he isn't our first choice . . . Rolling Eyes

But he gets the job done in this well-made invasion film, with enough action and conspiracies to hold the viewer's interest, along with excellent special effects.

Lindsay Crouse is right in the thick of it with Charlie, and she doesn't just scream when things get tough . . . she screams and gets even tougher!

The film is underrated in my opinion, partly because it only pulled in about half of its $25 million budget, but the critics rated it more-or-less positively and said nice things like, "The Arrival is stylish and inventive and offers a surprisingly smart spin on the alien invasion genre."

Wikipedia delivers some disappointing news about the DVD and BD.

A Blu-ray version of the film was released April 21, 2009. Unlike the laserdisc release, the Blu-ray version includes no special features. The laserdisc release included commentary, documentaries and alternative endings not included in the Blu-ray or DVD releases.

Bummer . . . Sad

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say about the sequel other than this.

Arrival ll is a 1998 American science fiction direct-to-video film. It is the sequel to the 1996 movie The Arrival with Charlie Sheen.

It didn't have a budget as big as the first one ($12 million) and it also didn't have Charlie Sheen.

Like I said, bummer.

I've placed The Arrival on my Netflix list so I can watch it again soon. I recommend it as a better-than-average science fiction experience. Very Happy

_________________ The Arrival (1996) trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
kolchak
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh. nothing with Charlie Sheen particularly interests me.

the local Latin America background stuff did interest me. I love it when Hollywood gets out of Hollywood.

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed this unusual movie in which Sheen did a "winning" job as a radio astronomer who stumbles across alien transmissions emanating from a South American TV station.

A large number of people seem to recognize it mainly as the movie with "that kid with the backward legs".
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alltare wrote:
I have always enjoyed this unusual movie in which Sheen did a "winning" job as a radio astronomer who stumbles across alien transmissions emanating from a South American TV station.

A large number of people seem to recognize it mainly as the movie with "that kid with the backward legs".

I agree completely. Steve!

Sheen's work in comedy is noticeably better than his work in dramatic roles, but he does well here. And yes, the kid with the backwards legs is a showstopper. Very Happy

_____________ The Arrival (11/11) Movie CLIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: