ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blade Runner (1982)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner (1982) Reply with quote

Everybody knows what this movie is about, so I'll kick off this discussion with my take on the controversial theory concerning whether or not Deckard (Harrison Ford) is actually a replicant himself and doesn't know it.

The film (all seven versions) provides no definitive answer to this question — and the film makers themselves are actually divided on the subject!

The Wikipedia article says this:

Both Michael Deeley (the producer) and Harrison Ford (the star) wanted Deckard to be human, while Hampton Fancher (the screenwriter) preferred ambiguity. Ridley Scott has confirmed that in his vision, Deckard is a replicant.

The first time I read what Scott stated I thought the idea was silly!

But after a bit more thought I realized it would make the story much more interesting. And the movie sets up the idea perfectly.

Consider this.

Dr. Eldon Tyrell made Rachael just as real as possible to see if he could create a perfect artificial human — right down to her implanted memories so that even she believed she was real.

So, Tyrell went a step farther: he created a replicant of a living Blade Runner (the real Deckard), a man who hunted down replicants while having no clue he was one himself.

When I first pondered this question I realized we were supposed to be fooled by the fact that Deckard's former superior makes reference to having known him for years — thereby proving to us that Deckard was human.

And Deckard most certainly was human. . . until he was killed and secretly replaced by Dr. Tyrell with the replicant-Deckard for his experiment. Human-Deckard's memories were implanted in replicant-Deckard's head before he was sent out to unwittingly prove that replicants were perfect artificial humans.

What are your thoughts on this, folks?

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

__________ Blade Runner Trailer - Classic Noir

_________

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Blade Runner (1982) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
And Deckard most certainly was human. . . until he was killed and secretly replaced by Dr. Tyrell with the replicant-Deckard for his experiment.

What are your thoughts on this, folks?

"I woke up one morning and all of my stuff had been stolen... and replaced by exact duplicates."
─ Stephen Wright

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I wasn't over impressed with this movie when I first saw it.

Oh sure, it has a lot visually impressive scenes, and the music is lovely — but story-wise it just seemed grim and pessimistic simply because it was fashionable to show that people are rotten and mankind is headed towards a future which really sucks.

But when I realized that Deckard was a replicant, his character sudden became much more interesting, and the story has an unexpected depth. It even has an element of hope that it wouldn't have without that brilliant and important element.

Here's why.

If mankind is headed toward a grim future, and if people are essential rotten, then Tyrell's perverted experiment might be a good thing that came out of an evil act. The inhumane and immoral Tyrell created two very humane and moral "humans" who surpassed their creator in all the ways that count.

If Blade Runner is just a story about how low the human race has sunk, I'm not really interested in it. But if it's about a miraculous and unexpected twist that actually spawns a better version of mankind than mankind himself . . . and that's a story worthy of my time and attention.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would the experiment be repeatable? It seems like all the essential personnel on the project were eliminated. Is it now up to just Deckard and Rachael to multiply like rabbits?

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
But would the experiment be repeatable? It seems like all the essential personnel on the project were eliminated. Is it now up to just Deckard and Rachael to multiply like rabbits?

Since the point of experiment was to create artificial humans that were as good as real humans, the success of the experiment would be determined by their ability to reproduce.

Therefore, yes. Deckard and Rachel would be expected to do the "jungle rumble" and make fake babies.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a fan-made trailer for The Last Starfighter (1984) on the thread for that movie, and the trailer had this amusing message at the beginning.

I wondered just how true the claim at the bottom was, so I made a list of 1980s science fiction films that I thought were good, just to see if that decade really did produce a significant number of “the best” sci-fi movies.

This movie is on the list I made. I know what I like about the film (and a few things I don’t like), but I’d like to hear the pros and cons from the rest of you folks.

So, what do you think, guys? Cool

mach7
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, Like you I was not impressed with this film when it came out. I waited 10-15 years to watch it again. For whatever reason it really made me think.

I've watched it many times since and it gets better each time. This is one of the few films where the movie is better than the book, buy a long shot.

I've heard all the theories about Deckard being a replicant. The movie is vague, purposely and rightly so.

I wasn't convinced.

The visual imagery and story are amazing. Rutger Haure is inspired, when I first saw it I thought the Dyrel Hannah was the weak link. Boy was I wrong!

I've now seen Blade Runner 2049, and I'm somewhat disappointed that they answered the question.

BTW, While I liked 2049, I didn't love it. I'll wait a while and rewatch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: