ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) Reply with quote

This has got to the wildest ride since Mr. Toad stole the model T.

The special effects don't look dated twenty-four years after the movie's release, because when you get 'em right they never look old. They just keep on looking right.

Edward Furlong as young John steals every scene until Linda Hamilton opens her mouth and steals it right back.

Arnold uses his minimalist acting to good advantage, completely convincing us he'd kill us in heart beat if our name was on his list, even though deep down he really cares about us -- right after we adjust his CPU.

I've always felt the music was a little too focused on the unstoppable Terminator theme. But maybe a more complex, rousing score would have been a little too enjoyable when we're supposed to be watching John and Sarah living in a waking nightmare, chased by a walking mass of oozing mercury that can turn its hands into cutlery that never gets dull, never gets tarnished, and never needs washing.

If you've never watched the special edition that has the scenes deleted by people who should be terminated, you've never seen the real movie. The "thinking" parts of the story are in those scenes, and that's always the parts I like best in any movie.

I used to crack up my 2nd grade students when I'd put on my sunglasses, make my face real stiff, and say in a deep voice --

"I am the Ed-ju-cator. Come with me if you want to learn."

Bear in mind, they were only seven years old . . . Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter posted a new picture of herself on Facebook. The first thing I thought of was this movie . . . . and what a nice parody of the poster I could make with her picture.

So I did. Cool

* Just FYI: Her last name is Shelton.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely see the family resemblance. It must be the sun glasses!

Mr. Green
ralfy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Terminator 2: Judgment Day is 25! Here are 9 things you never knew about the supercharged sequel"

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/terminator/feature/a799882/terminator-2-judgment-day-facts-25th-anniversary/

"Aliens, Terminator 2: how James Cameron crafts his sequels"

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/aliens-terminator/41954/aliens-terminator-2-how-james-cameron-crafts-his-sequels
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, thanks ralfy! Those are terrific facts about this awesome movie. I didn't know about the "alternate happy ending". Impressive stuff.

_Terminator 2: Alternative Ending - Deleted Scenes

_________

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 215 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

A female passerby actually wandered onto the biker bar set thinking it was real, despite walking past all the location trucks, cameras and lights. Seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger standing in the bar dressed only in boxer shorts, she wondered aloud what was going on, only for Schwarzenegger to reply that it was male stripper night.

Note from me: I predict that the young lady was extremely pretty . . . and no rocket scientist. She didn't realize a movie was being made, and the man she asked her question to is one of the mostly well-known stars in Hollywood. Laughing

(at around 1h 40 mins) The T-1000 has four arms while in the helicopter: two for flying the helicopter and two for firing and reloading the MP-5K submachine gun.

Note from me: I will definitely be looking for this moment the next time I watch the move.

The steel mill effects were so convincing, some former workers from the plant (which had been closed for over ten years) thought it was up and running again.

Note from me: Wow. A movie that takes a closed steel mill and does enough to it to make it look like it's in full operation. Impressive.

The artificial substance used instead of melted steel (which would have been far too dangerous to use, or even impossible) actually needed to be kept pretty cool to maintain the right density. This meant that the temperature on set was quite cold, so the actors had to be sprayed with fake sweat in between takes.

Note from me: Well, I'll be damned. I would never have guessed that the "molten steel" was actually a substance which had to be kept COOL! How did they make the substance glow as if it was red hot?

On the DVD, by highlighting "Sensory Control" and pressing the right navigation button five times until the words "The Future is Not Set" appear, then selecting the phrase, the menu will alter, offering the Theatrical Version of the film instead of the Special Edition for viewing.

Note from me: Interesting, I suppose. But the Special Edition version with the additional scenes which explain how the T-800 is modified to learn from its experiences gives the story much greater depth and intelligence. (No pun intended . . . )

In the fight scene in the steel mill between the two Terminators, the set was literally dressed with rubber so the actors would not hurt themselves when being flung around.

Note from me: Fascinating. But they could have just staged the climax in a rubber factory and saved a lot of trouble. (Just kidding . . . Very Happy)

(at around 7 mins) For the scene where the nude Terminator walks into a biker bar, Arnold Schwarzenegger was actually wearing a pair of purple board shorts.

Note from me: Uh . . . let me get this straight. When Arnold walks into the biker bar naked, he's actually got a CGI ass? Shocked

Denzel Washington turned down the role of Miles Bennett Dyson - "No offense to Jim Cameron, but when I read the script, I thought: All he does is look scared and sweat. I had to pass."

Note from me: Denzel tends to be very quiet and dignified in most of his roles, so I have trouble imagining him doing as well as Joe Morton as Miles Dyson. Joe nailed it. Very Happy

It is revealed on the DVD audio commentary that the Terminator's alternate source of power in the steel mill comes from thermocouples, which convert the heat from the surroundings into electrical power which Terminator can use.

Note from me: The next time I see this movie I won't wonder why Arnold came back to life several minutes after "dying", instead of having that emergency reserve kick in right away. Cool! Cool

An alternate ending for this movie was filmed but cut, which saw an elderly Sarah sitting at the park, telling the story about the Terminator, watching John playing with his daughter and tying her granddaughter's shoes. Director James Cameron decided not to use the ending and replaced it with the "unknown road" ending that was used in the final cut.

Note from me: Interesting, but I think Cameron was right not to use the happier ending. And it certainly teased us with the promise of sequels! Very Happy

The next two items concern the happy ending as well.

James Cameron fought over the ending with Mario Kassar. Cameron wanted to end the film with an alternate Coda Ending (that showed the older Sarah in future) as a bookend, but Kassar wanted to end the film in an another way (as a measure for possible sequels). Cameron eventually relented when test audiences and Kassar himself reacted negatively over the coda ending, and he went with the existing one, commenting that this coda was way too positive compared to bleak and dark tone of the rest of the movie.

In an alternate future coda with an elderly Sarah and John as a U.S. Senator, Sarah would originally see a young, non-veteran Kyle Reese walking by, to whom she regrettably cannot say anything. This idea was dropped very early on, as it simply raised too many questions about how this alternate Reese could have fathered John Connor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: