ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Mighty Joe Young (1949) Reply with quote

Today I was stunned to discover that All Sci-Fi has gone for twelve years without ever having a thread for Mighty Joe Young. Shocked

That grave omission is being fixed right now.

I'll kick off the thread with a wonderful YouTube video I found of the 1950 Oscars, in which the Academy Award for Special Effects was presented by none other than Miss Patricia Neal.

Listen to the rather inaccurate description she reads about how the FX for Mighty Joe Young were created. She states that Mighty Joe Young was an 80-ft gorilla made out of lumber, tar paper, and "a pile of old toupees". Rolling Eyes

No wonder O'Brien's acceptance speech was only five quick words. "Thank you very, very much." And off he went, probably wondering what idiot wrote those notes for Patricia Neal!

__Willis O'Brien Wins Special Effects: 1950 Oscars

I also found an 11-minute interview with Ray Harryhausen and two gentlemen as they discuss Might Joe Young. It's absolutely packed with fascinating info that I didn't know.

For example, Ray explains why Mighty Joe Young's fur doesn't move around constantly the way King Kong's did whenever O'Brien's figures disturbed it as he handled the model.

Ray also tells us why he had a pet name for the specific Mighty Joe Young model he liked best among the four that were built.

He called it "Jennifer"! Very Happy

_________ Ray Harryhausen & Mighty Joe Young

He also answers a question I've had in mind for decades: how did Ray move those small eyes without accidentally moving the head?

You'll see lots of great clips, along with BTS shots as well. This is an extremely well done interview. I'm very impressed by it.

This next video will knock your socks off. You'll wonder why the screen is dark for the first 33 seconds. Just be patient. Then you'll think the video is a just a clip from the night club scene before Joe appears under the piano.

Wait just a little longer.

And then . . . well . . . you'll see. Cool

__________Mighty Joe Young- Joe Comes to Life

Finally, folks, enjoy this fine original trailer, narrated by the great Dick Tufeld!

____________ Mighty Joe Young Trailer, 1949

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite Willis O'Brien, Ray Harryhausen films.

The stop~animation sequence that Ray said was his most fave to animate was Joe & the caged lion in Africa.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one helluva dramatic entrance Mr. Joseph Young of Africa makes in this classic movie! Joe's "acting" is astounding. Cool

_______________________ Joe vs The Lion

Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray was also very pleased with his scene where Joe is in the nightclub and crashes through the bar canopy in front of the lions.

The burning orphanage showed up in at least a couple of Robert Conrad's steampunk western TV series The Wild, Wild West.
Pow
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Joe Meets Tarzan''was a sequel planned for MJY. Lex Barker would have played Tarzan.

Due to disappointing box office results for MJY a sequel was never made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: