ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
Nothin' but pure science fiction!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lone Ranger (1949 –1957)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: The Lone Ranger (1949 –1957) Reply with quote

The recent changes I made in my DISH package gave me access to channels like FETV, FOLKS, METV, and the COWBOY channel — all of which have allowed me to reconnect with my lifelong love for The Lone Ranger series.

I already owned a few DVDs of this great series, including the two Technicolor theatrical features released in the late 1950s, but the few DVDs I own only include about 17 of the 221 total episodes of this great show!

However, today I received my two box sets of seasons 1 and 2, which include 78 episodes. Unfortunately, Seasons 3, 4, and 5 are not available as individual box sets. Damn . . .

The 17 episodes on my older DVDs are from season 1, but I now have all those on my new box sets, which mean they only provide 61 new episodes I didn't already have. Sad

Therefore I'm still in search of 143 episodes that aren't available on DVD . . . unless I buy the "complete series DVD set" — which is priced at almost $2,000! Shocked

As for this great show, the Lone Ranger and Tonto are two of the greatest crime fighters in cinematic history, and the portrayal of these two heroes by Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels is absolutely perfect! They demonstrate amazing bravery and intelligence in every story!

I loved this show as a kid in the 1950s, and it still thrills me now as a 71-year-old fan. I don't mean to sound disloyal to the Adventures of Superman, but this series still succeeds with this aging, life-long fan much better than Superman does.

If any of you guys enjoyed The Lone Ranger in the days of your tender youth, I highly recommend that you reconnect with this unique cinematic treasure.

It will make you feel young again!

The gorgeous YouTube video below of the very first episode will jump-start your young devotion to this unique hero in American culture. His "origin story" is the most dramatic and heroic of any superhero in history! Cool

_____ The Lone Ranger | Season 1 | Full Episodes

And here's an All Sci-Fi bonus feature — The Lone Ranger theme, aka the finale to the William Tell Overture, performed brilliantly by the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra!

Nothing thrills me more than to watch the actual musicians creating beautiful music like this! It make me tingle all over. Very Happy

And I know damn well that every one of those musicians were thinking about The Lone Ranger during this performance. Wink

_______________ William Tell Overture Finale

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had a special love of the Lone Ranger.

He was created by Fran Stiker here in my native hometown of Buffalo NY.

From Wikipedia : With some of my own comments:

"Late in 1932, Striker began working on The Lone Ranger; his earliest scripts were largely reworked from his earlier series Covered Wagon Days. A letter from Trendle dated Monday, January 30, 1933, clearly gives Striker credit for creating the character. However, by 1934 Striker was pressured by Trendle to sign over his rights to the Lone Ranger, and Trendle claimed credit as the creator. This sparked a long-term controversy over the creation of The Lone Ranger."

The actual first trial episodes of The Lone Ranger were broadcast on WEBR in Buffalo prior to the official premiere on WXYZ. These first broadcasts starred Buffalo actor John L. Barrett weeks before George Stenius (who later changed his name to George Seaton and became a film director) played the role. The best known radio actor to play the part was Brace Beemer.

Striker was extremely prolific. In addition to writing 156 Lone Ranger scripts a year, he wrote The Green Hornet (built around the Lone Ranger's descendant, Britt Reid) and a short-lived series, Ned Jordan Secret Agent.

He scripted various Lone Ranger novels, two movie serials, and The Lone Ranger comic strip. He also contributed scripts to Challenge of the Yukon (later adapted for television as Sergeant Preston of the Yukon).

Striker's work as a comic strip writer extended to writing The Green Hornet comic books and the 1945 newspaper strip The Sea Hound (based on The Adventures of the Sea Hound radio series that Striker contributed scripts to). He was also the author of the popular boy's adventure novels featuring "Tom Quest."

Striker's later work included stints on the television versions of The Lone Ranger and Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, which were initially being produced while the radio series were still on the air.

Striker was 59 when he died in a 1962 car accident in Elma, while moving with his wife and children. His final work was a historical novel, One More River, published posthumously.

Fran was interred at Arcade Rural Cemetery in Arcade. I have also visited his grave there as well as touring his cabin in Arcade NY.

His papers are in the archives of the University at Buffalo, my own Alma Mater.

"Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wonderful post, Gord!

When can we watch a few episodes of The Long Ranger in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room.

With my recent acquisition of the box sets for seasons 1 and 2, I won't need two older discs with 17 episode from season 1. I have several DVDs I've been meaning to send you, so I'll add those two disc to the package and send them all soon. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the YouTube videos of this great series are the full-length versions, not the slightly edited-for-TV version that one Amazon customer warned the buyers of the DVD box sets about — the ones I bought! Sad

Episode one is above, and here's five more below.

The aspect of this series I love the most is the way Tonto and The Lone Ranger work as a team of detectives, uncovering evidence, drawing intelligent conclusions, and forming clever plans to outwit the villains!

This truly is a "thinking man's" Western series. Cool

The Lone Ranger | S01 E02 | The Lone Ranger Fights On

__ The Lone Ranger | S01 E03 | The Lone Ranger's Triumph

____ The Lone Ranger | S01 E04 | Legion of Old Timers

_____ The Lone Ranger | S01 E05 | Rustler's Hideout

_________ The Lone Ranger | S01 E06 | War Horse

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more episodes I watch from channels like FETV, FOLK, and the COWBOY channel, the more respect I have for this series. And I haven't even started watching the box sets of seasons 1 and 2 which I purchased recently. I'm still working my way through seasons 4 and 5 — the later of which was film in glorious color!

Season 3 is the one that didn't star Clayton Moore, and frankly they're unwatchable simply because poor John Hart was such a no-talent block of wood. Rolling Eyes

But all the Clayton Moore episodes are incredible! They're such a wonderful blend of complex story telling, high drama, and bare-faced hero worship, the kind only possible back in the optimistic era of the 1950s.

It amazes me that the two theatrical features which were made in the last few decades were such horribly misguided attempts to portray this wonderfully iconic character.

But this series — even after 70+ years — is still inspiring and extremely enjoyable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: