ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E from Nemesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lived to be a hundred I'd never fully understand all the intricate work needed to make a magnificent model like this! Cool

The only way I could grasps the complexity would be to do it myself . . . and I'd have to live to be a hundred to get it all done! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all the difference between a pretty picture and a work of Art!
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... Main saucer shuttle bay observation/control room modifications...

So this is what I’m shooting for:

https://images.app.goo.gl/yDeKeFJM8wKR2h2j7

First I glued the photo-etch window frames in place over the clear plastic insert with CA. I used styrene rectangular rod to frame the windows so they will be recessed. After the glue cures I’ll add another thinner strip to the bottom piece of the frame before filing and sanding commences. Then will follow some puttying to fill in any gaps:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Bay Window Framing by Steve J, on Flickr

Later...

After adding another layer of styrene rectangular rod around the photo-etch window frames I filed and sanded to a sharper angle resulting in a much more screen accurate look for the face of the shuttle bay observation/ control room. I’m pretty chuffed with how this turned out:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Finished Shuttle Bay Window by Steve J, on Flickr

Still some cleanup to do but she'll look even better with a coat of Mister Surfacer afterward:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Saucer Shuttle Bay Control/Observation Window Mods by Steve J, on Flickr

Darting here and there...

The forward upper saucer photon torpedo tube is glued into a recess carved into the second level above the main saucer hull directly above what will be the forward saucer fiber optic “spotlight”. I show spotlight in quotes since the actual illumination of the ship’s name and registry will come from the Raytheon Effect internally shining thru the hull plastic. The fiber optic light will just be there to sell the illusion:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Dorsal Saucer Forward Torpedo Tube by Steve J, on Flickr

Think I'll work on the impulse engines next...
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, on behalf of All Sci-Fi's members, I want to assure you that we all enjoy the work you're doing on your fabulous models, as well as the masterful way you document it photographically, and the elloguent manner in which you describe your artistic endeavors. Very Happy

We hope you don't think that just because many of us haven't replied often means we aren't viewing your images and enjoying every word of your careful descriptions of the projects! Shocked

Steve, over the last fourteen years I've learned that All Sci-Fi frequently receives numerous "guests" — members who don't bother to log in, or ASF "fans" who've never bothered to join! Shocked

The number of guests each day ranges from 30 to 100+! Very Happy

This constant flow of visitors are enjoying posts like yours (and everybody else's) . . . but they don't post replies! Rolling Eyes

Steve, please rest assured that the small group of All Sci-Fi's active members are just a fraction of the total number of folks who stand in awe of your skills when they read posts like the one above!

Keep up the good work, sir. We honestly can't get enough of this stuff! Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Bud. Honestly, I don’t expect responses to all my posts. Star Trek model building isn’t everybody’s cup of tea after all. If my posts bring in new viewers to ASF that’s enough for me. Hopefully some will join eventually and become active members on the forum. That would mean a lot to me knowing how much effort you put into making this site a resource for all of us that appreciate great science fiction in ALL its forms.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final modifications...

After closer inspection of Nemesis screen caps (and other online reference material) I realized the upper window framing needed to be about twice as thick as the lower window frame. The easiest way to do this was to sand off the upper “roof” panels and lay on a piece of styrene sheet before adding the panels back using more thin styrene sheet cut to the dimensions of the panels I had just sanded off. I also added a couple of narrow side panels to either side of the window framing that are visible when viewing the control room windows at certain angles off to the side. Afterward I puttied any gaps. Next I’ll give her a coat of Mister Surfacer:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Final Shuttle Observation Room Final Mods by Steve J, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hull will be primed with Krylon Matte White. Here I’ve mixed up a batch of the enamel finishing coat paint which consists of about 95% MM Flat White and 5% MM Neutral Grey. I say 5% but it may even be less than that; it’s like a chef saying add a “dash” of grey. It’s not pure white but it may be close to Insignia White which I’ve heard has a slight grayish tint to it. I wanted a very light grey white and I think this will work. I want to be careful and not drown out the aztec paneling of which some are a very light grey:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Mixing the Main Final Hull Color by Steve J, on Flickr

Here’s a comparison of my custom final main hull color mix next to the kit plastic. You can see it’s much lighter;

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Hull Color Mix Comparison by Steve J, on Flickr

My custom mix as compared to flat white. Just a tad of grey:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Paint on a Stick by Steve J, on Flickr

Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July, sounded like a war zone around here! Surprised Shocked

Anyway, that’s all for now. Stand by for further updates beaming into your personal communication device...

Last edited by trekriffic on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wonderful detail of your descriptions is both interesting and educational! I can now name three shades of white that I wasn't familiar with. Very Happy

The next time I pull several All Sci-Fi T-shirts out of the dryer, I'll study each one carefully to be sure they came clean and none of them are Insignia White or Krylon Matte White!

No sir, if they aren't 100% MM Flat White, it's back into the washing machine for another round of bleach and detergent! Mad

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bud, there are as many shades of white as there are stars in the universe. Of course, you could say that about a lot of colors I guess. Wink

Here’s today’s progress. I’d intended to work on the impulse engines but got sidetracked once again and went back to completing some finishing touches on the nacelles...

Using leftover parts from the 1/350 Enterprise clear lighting kit I made a dome for the front of each nacelle to replace the opaque plastic bump that constituted the magnetic field sensor array. The clear dome is lit by a short length of fiber optic:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Magnetic Field Sensor by Steve J, on Flickr

These panels sit just aft of the bussards on each nacelle just forward of the nacelle grills on either side of the housing for the magnetic field sensor array. The molded kit detailing was inaccurate and soft. These parts, made from thin styrene sheet, are accurate to the CGI image:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- New Nacelle Panels by Steve J, on Flickr

After sanding off the primer, the new panels were attached to the nacelle using Testors tube glue. Afterward, Perfect Plastic Putty was packed in around the edges:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- New Panels Glued in Place by Steve J, on Flickr

The grills butt right up to the new panels with very little gappage:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Test Fit of Nacelle Grill to New Panels by Steve J, on Flickr

The blue nacelle decals that came with the Acreation Decals were applied to the underside of the clear nacelle covers:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Light Test with Aftermarket Blue Nacelle Decals
by Steve J, on Flickr

A hole was drilled into the shaft of each clear dome and a short length of curved 50 mil fiber optic strand was glued into the shaft:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- New Magnetic Field Sensor by Steve J, on Flickr

Each dome on each nacelle is lit by a fiber optic strand catching blue light from the blue LED strip under each nacelle cover:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Magnetic Field Sensor Dome Lit by Steve J, on Flickr

That’s all I got done today. Comments welcome as always.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, as I was reading your wonderfully detailed and highly technical description, I caught myself imagining Scott's voice saying the words, Scottish brogue and all!
Very Happy

Quote:
Captain, these panels sit aft the bussards on each nacelle, just forward of the nacelle grills on either side of the housing for the magnetic field sensor array!

Normally it would take four hours to do the work . . . by I'll have her done in two, I prrromise ye!"

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Steve, as I was reading your wonderfully detailed and highly technical description, I caught myself imagining Scott's voice saying the words, Scottish brogue and all! Very Happy

Quote:
Captain, these panels sit aft the bussards on each nacelle, just forward of the nacelle grills on either side of the housing for the magnetic field sensor array!

Normally it would take four hours to do the work . . . by I'll have her done in two, I prrromise ye!"

Och aye! I think ye nailed it laddie!
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I scratched a basic interior for the shuttle bay observation/control room. There are two tiny crewmen seated at the two consoles closest to the windows. The windows themselves are translucent enough that they should show up as dark silhouettes when backlit by the LED yet to be installed. This image was taken after brushing with a coat of Light Sea Grey over a coat of primer. The crewmen have since been painted black while the consoles have been painted with the light grey hull color I mixed up. Overkill perhaps but...that’s just the way I roll:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Control Room Interior by Steve J, on Flickr

Next I need to decide if I want to use the holes in the photo-etch shuttle bay doors for the fiber strands, as originally planned, to illuminate them or drill two holes in the floor on each side of my scratched interior. The latter option might work better as the fibers could be bent more easily to point downwards with the holes above and further in front of the doors. Using the holes in the PE the fibers would stick straight out rather than directing the light downward in front of the doors. I could bend the fibers but they would be more easily concealed underneath the control room window overhang.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, when I read your detailed description I was not only impressed with how well written it is, I kept think about the many hours you spend planning out each step, debating your options, and proceeding with patience and caution.

We're all eager to see a gallery of gorgeous photos when the project is finally completed. Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
As usual, when I read your detailed description I was not only impressed with how well written it is, I kept think about the many hours you spend planning out each step, debating your options, and proceeding with patience and caution.

We're all eager to see a gallery of gorgeous photos when the project is finally completed. Cool

Thanks for all the kind words, Bud. Your constant support and encouragement means a lot.

By the time I finish this build I should have a new laptop loaded with much better photo editing software than I have on my current “work” laptop. My work laptop will be going away and I’ll be buying my own personal laptop at Costco where I have accumulated a large stash of “Costco bucks” over the past few years. This is because AT&T “surplussed” me (and many other employees) on Friday as part of what they call “workforce rationalization”, aka layoffs. So, after 39 years I’ll be taking the severance package and retiring at 62 years old. Just 60 more days to go and I’ll be free to start a new phase in my life which, among other things, will include taking photos of my models and creating images of them even more gorgeous than those I’ve created before.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that sounds wonderful! Very Happy

I had the option of retiring as a school teacher either (a) when I turned 64 or, (b) waiting one more year until I was 65.

The extra year would mean a higher monthly check from Social Security. But I started wondering how long it would take me to receive an amount which would be equal to twelve months of checks from age 64 to 65, if I waited another years to get the slight raise.

I spoke at length with a nice lady at the Social Security department, and we did some figuring together. We discovered that the bump in the amount that would start at 65 wouldn't actually equal a full year of checks starting at 64 until I'd been collecting them for . . . ten years! Shocked

Hell, I figured I might not even live to be 75! My father passed away at 79 from complications caused by alzheimer's — which means I'm at risk as well. Sad

So, I retired at 64, leaving the high-stress job of teaching before it gave me a stroke. (My father had a relatively mild stroke at 60, but he recovered . . . mostly).

Now I'm turning 72 in August. (FYI: Amazon gift cards make great Birthday presents! Very Happy)

My point here, Steve, is that I'm sure you've considered all your retirement options — including when to start getting those SS checks . . . assuming the government doesn't bankrupt the program before your ready! Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: