ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight to Mars (1951)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Flight to Mars (1951) Reply with quote

Four men and a lady blast off for the red planet Mars in this lean-budgeted but extremely likable little yarn. Bear in mind that this movie pre-dated all the slick, big-budget films like "When Worlds Collide" and "The Conquest of Space".

The explorers find a thriving civilization of completely humanoid Martians, living in hi-tech underground cities. The leaders of the Martian government act friendly, but they secretly plot to kill the Earthlings and steal the secret of their rocket propulsion system.

Scientist Arthur Franz ("Invader from Mars") is the leader of the expedition. Cameron Mitchell is the wisecracking newspaper man, and lovely Virginia Huston is Franz's jilted fiance. Mitchell falls in love with her, and Franz falls in love with gorgeous Marguerite Chapman, the heroine of the legendary "Spy Smasher" serial, one of the Republic serials on which Lucas and Spielberg patterned "Raiders of the Lost Ark".

Director Lesley Selander shot the picture in just 11 days — an admirable accomplishment in view of the results. After all, it was made in 1951 (the same year as "The Thing" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still") in glorious Cinecolor, and the set designs are reminiscent of "This Island Earth".

True fans of 1950s sci-fi will enjoy Morris Ankrum in his second sci-fi role. Mr. Ankrum starred in more sci-fi movies than any other actor — including the prolific John Agar! Ankrum was usually cast as a high-ranking Army officer who commands the brave forces who battle the alien invaders.

However, in "Flight to Mars", Ankrum is cast as a Martian general who urges his people to invade the Earth!

The costumes in "Flight to Mars" are certainly worth commenting on, especially those worn by the attractive female stars — extremely short, "futuristic" dresses.

Miss Chapman provides some very appealing eye candy for male viewers. When she walks around in her iridescent minidress and high heeled shoes, she's hot enough to poach eggs!

Co-star Lucille Barkley is equally thermal in her sexy Martian outfit.

__

But for some strange reason, Virginia Houston is forced to wear a remarkably unappealing outfit. It's almost as if the producers wanted to humiliate Miss Houston by making her look ridiculous when compared to the other two ladies. Weird . . .

A DVD of "Flight to Mars" is available from the Wade Williams collection, but the print used in the transfer has sections which are in poor condition. Apparently it was the best print Wade could acquire. But even with these flaws, the DVD is well-worth having.

I also have a DVD-R I made from the commercially sold VHS tape, and even though the picture isn't as sharp and colorful, it doesn't have those terrible jumps when pieces of the film are missing.

The highly appealing rocket in "Flight to Mars" was originally designed by Chesley Bonestell for "Destination Moon", but the design was rejected because of the wings. The science-minded producers felt that the wings would confuse the audience after the educational Woody Woodpecker cartoon in "Destination Moon", which carefully explained the lack of air in space. You've got to admire the producers for doing this. They were giving the audience credit for being intelligent.

Bonestell's fantastic design for the rocket was later reused in three other movies — "Queen of Outer Space", "World Without End", and "It! The Terror from Beyond Space". For this reason, the rocket in "Flight to Mars" is the most well-traveled interplanetary vehicle of the 1950s. Sci-fi fans wouldn't get to see a ship with that much mileage on it again until the Enterprise warped out of orbit in "Star Trek" — fifteen years later!

Brent Gair has created a gorgeous replica of the rocket from Flight to Mars. Amazingly, his model is actually fashioned from wood! The two jpegs below show Brent's Flight to Mars model while under construction, and then the finished product.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:47 am; edited 16 times in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice spacesuits borrowed from Destination Moon (1950). But did they have any air tanks?
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Nice spacesuits borrowed from Destination Moon (1950). But did they have any air tanks?

Air tanks? Why would they need air tanks, when the helmets don't even have any faceplates! Laughing

The rocket model was also used in a Bowery Boys movie, where you get to see the model's actual size.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there were several models of different sizes, and the one shown below was one of the smallest. We get to see it near the beginning of Flight to Mars in the home of Arthur Franz's character.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was another of many sci-fi films of the period that involved discovering a new race of people who look just like us but live in unusual places-- kind of like New Yorkers feel when they visit New Jersey, I guess.

That's a great model Mr. Gair made. One thing the '50s sci-fis had going for them were cool streamlined spacecraft. I've been looking for a good excuse to buy a lathe. This might do it.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear, if I was sitting in my living room gazing at Brent's model on the coffee table, with my gorgeous girlfriend siting next to me and my faithful dog at my feet, and the house suddenly caught on fire — God help the dog and the woman if they got in my way as I fled with that model tucked under my arm!

Click here for more treasures from Mr. Gair.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:26 am; edited 5 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That black leather jacket with the rocket on the front was also worn by one version of Commando Cody and Rocketman from the Rebublic serials and in Space Patrol as well.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a shot of Rocket Man with the rocket emblem on his jacket, but the jacket is definitely similar.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Rocketman jackets I've seen zip up the middle. The Flight to Mars jackets zipped up to the right shoulder.

Considering Commando Cody's chest plate control panel, the FtM zipper would have been a better choice.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internet Archive has all the Starlog issues on file, so if I can find the one that had the article about this movie, I can post it here.

But I'll be damned if I can find out which issue it was!!! Sad

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

It's a great pity that this modest movie from a small studio didn't generate enough public interest to encourage the studio to make a sequel! The story is the perfect lead-in for the next chapter in a great story!

This movies presents us with a four-man, one-hot-lady expedition which journeys to the Red Planet and discovers a whole lot more that just dry rocks and dusty deserts! They're greeted by friendly folks with an advanced civilization who yearn to reach for the stars —

— while wearing micro-miniskirts which are decades ahead of Earth's primitive fashion designers! Cool

The combination of their lofty aspirations and their lusty fashion sense is truly inspiring!

After arriving on Mars, our explorers find both friends and foes among the aliens. And when they make a dramatic escape in the exciting climax, there are allies among the government officials, along with enemies who are plotting to conquer the earth by using rockets based on the same design which our explorers conveniently placed in their hands!

Consider the delicious irony of this idea, folks! Shocked

A peaceful mission to explore Mars unwittingly delivers the very means by which the desperate Martians can escape their dying planet and conquor Earth!

And yet, several members of the Martian government disapprove of their plans and want to trade their own technology for ours, for the benefit of both worlds!

Think of the possible story lines for a sequel!

Civil war on Mars could divide them into two camps: those who want to invade the earth and those who want be our friends and allies. The pro-Earth faction builds several rockets and sends ambassadors to warn us of the anti-Earth factions who plan to invade and conquor us.

The nations of the Earth unite and frantically begin the construction of planetary defenses against the invaders. The Martian delegation brought technology that will help fortify Earth, with the understanding that it will be used to defend Earth, not to attack Mars.

Naturally there will be a few Hawkish generals who urge the president to send our fleet to Mars and make a preemptive strike. But the president shows the generals a few photos of the gals on Mars brought back by the first expedient, and these pictures both soften their hearts and hardens their . . . ummm . . . resolve to seek peace.

_______

The rest of the plot in this odd version of War of the Worlds involves Earth being attacked by Martian invaders . . . but also about being defended by Martian allies!

The climax would be a colossal battle — both in space and on Mars — in which the Earth/Martian coalition defeats the hostile Martian forces, frees Mars from the its own brutal tyrants, and unites the two planets!

An era of peace between Earth and Mars begins as the two planets unite to make ambitious plans to mine the asteroids, build Moon bases and space stations, and develope their shared technology to create a fantastic future for both races! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short skirts are definitely part of the future we can look forward to. Very Happy

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see those "futuristic" outfits the women wore in the old sci-fi movies from the '50s, I can't help but think of the "cute" caps we inflict on our toddlers and pets, especially around Halloween or during cold weather.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Us men can look good in futuristic outfits too...

Or at least we did back in 1936's "Things to Come"... Embarassed
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You want me to wear what??"

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: