ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sleeper (1973)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Sleeper (1973) Reply with quote

Woody Allen takes a shot at spoofing the Buck Rogers school of science fiction in this slapstick comedy with several thousand jokes (some great, some not-so-great).

Allen plays a befuddled guy who goes into the hospital for a simple ulcer treatment in 1973 and ends up in cryogenic suspension!

He is revived in the 22nd century by a group of rebel scientists who want to enlist his aid in fighting the totalitarian government. Storm Troopers attack the rebel headquarters, and Allen must flee. As a fugitive from the Storm Troopers, he masquerades as a robot butler, abducts a spoiled socialite (Diane Keaton), finds a rust-covered 200-year old Volkswagen which cranks instantly, and gets stoned simply by touching an electronic sphere.

The script by Allen and Marshall Brickman pokes fun at dozens of social institutions, from hospitals to beauty contests (the government brainwashes him into thinking he's Miss America).

Fairly good sets and props combine with straight-faced performances by the supporting players, providing a nice framework for Allen's lunatic portrayal of an average guy trapped in an impossible situation.

Admittedly Allen sometimes gets a little too silly, and the Dixieland jazz score works against the film because the music is totally unresponsive to what's happening on screen. But in general, "Sleeper" is one of Woody's most enjoyable creations.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 7 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sleeper (1973) Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
finds a rust-covered 200-year old Volkswagen which cranks instantly.

This scene is taken from a popular Volkswagen commercial at the time. The commercial shows an archeological dig in the desert, in the future. The archeologist uncover a VW Beetle, then gets in and drive it off.

I have read that Ben Bova was the consultant on this movie. It may be in the credits, but I haven't seen the movie in a long time, so I don't remember.

My favorite scene is the battle with the chocolate pudding.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David.

I couldn't find out the name of the artist who did the marvelous poster. To get that jpeg of the artwork alone (in better detail than the poster) and had to piece together a few cropped images I found. Here's what I used.

The less-than-perfect result is this.

Even then I wasn't able to include all the great stuff in the lower third of the painting, shown here in a cropped section --

-- but I'd still love to have a really detailed version of the poster that shows all of the artist's great painting.

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.G. Wells When the Sleeper Wakes is the original story.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has some funny moments. Very Happy

__________________ Sleeper (1973) - Trailer

_________

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has __ trivia items for this movie. Here's a few of the ones I found the most interesting. Very Happy

Woody Allen originally intended the film to be three hours long, and in two parts. The first part would have him in the present day, coping with life, until his illness. And the second half, would be the futuristic part. But, United Artists rejected this concept.

Note from me: Hmmm . . . an ambitious idea, but I don't think that was a good idea. Perhaps it would have worked if the two parts each had budgets larger than the existing film.

Also, if Allen had resisted the urge to include so many of the Keystone Cops sped-up scenes (like repeatedly slipping on the giant banana peel), the movies would have been more coherent (while still being funny), if the writing was good enough.

Woody Allen had originally hoped to shoot much of the film in Brasilia, Brazil's futuristic capital city complex designed by urban planner Lucio Costa and architect Oscar Niemeyer. Budget limitations however restricted him to using locations within the continental USA.

Note from me:These days we have "futuristic" buildings much more impressive than this, so I doubt the location would have added much to Woody's film.

The rebel hideout was filmed at the "Sculptured House", a residence designed and built by architect Charles Deaton in the mountains west of Denver. The home was constructed in 1963 but the interior was not yet complete at the time of filming. In 2004, the home was offered for sale for $10 million.

Note from me: Now this is more impressive! Very Happy

This film permanently ended plans for two productions based on H.G. Wells' "When the Sleeper Wakes", the 1899 novel on which this film is loosely based. One proposed production was by American International (long shelved due to the high proposed budget) and the other by producer George Pal.

Note from me: By gum, our good friend Pye-rate was correct! (Not that I doubted him a moment. Very Happy)

Douglas Rain — credited as the voice of the Evil Computer — is best known for voicing HAL in "2001".

Note from me: Boy, type casting in Hollywood is a bitch! Once your identified as the voice of an evil computer, that's all you get to play! Shocked

_______

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The painting is by Frank Frazetta. He did a lot of movie posters in this period like AFTER THE FOX, THE NIGHT THEY RAIDED MINSKYS, and many more.

Last edited by Gord Green on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll be darned. I'm usually pretty good at spotting Frazetta's work, but I didn't even think of him!

Thanks! Very Happy

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The rebel hideout was filmed at the "Sculptured House", a residence designed and built by architect Charles Deaton in the mountains west of Denver. The home was constructed in 1963 but the interior was not yet complete at the time of filming. In 2004, the home was offered for sale for $10 million.

The rebel headquarters where Allen wakes up at the start of the movie was actually the Church of the Risen Christ, built in 1969. The "Sculptured House" was used as the residence of Diane Keaton's character Luna. The McDonald's that we briefly see in one sequence was the front of another church.

As for the music, I think it works well with the physical comedy scenes. Who but Woody Allen would think of scoring a futuristic sci-fi comedy/satire with Dixieland jazz?
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
The painting is by Frank Frazetta.

I love the expression he put on Diane Keaton's face.

WayneO
-----------
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody Allen's hilarious take on waking up 200 years in the future, in the year 2173.

He also plays the lead, a hapless schlup who unwittingly does the Rip Van Winkle bit — placed in cryogenic sleep by accident in 1973. He's awakened in a brave new world by scientists who are members of a revolutionary group struggling against the current totalitarian regime. They need him to pull off a secret mission because he's the very rare bird who isn't documented.

Things quickly go sideways and Woody is on the run from rather inefficient police enforcers. He takes a spoiled and vacuous member (Diane Keaton) of this society hostage, but the two soon fall in love.

_______

Allen mixes sight and physical gags with his usual wry commentary on societal mores. We find out, for example, that tobacco is actually the best thing for a human body.

Many of the expected sci-fi tropes are given a new twist — robots as servants, flying jet-packs, pleasure machines, artificial foods, and some kind of futuristic cannon that the chasing police use and which never works properly.

We also get to see Keaton do a Brando imitation. This comedy takes many of its cues from the much more grim THX-1138 and A Clockwork Orange of a couple of years earlier, especially the overall plot of a controlled populace and brainwashing.

However, this itself was copied by many later movies and TV, from Death Race 2000 (the mysterious leader) to Futurama. Co-stars John Beck, who shows up late as the leader of a resistance cell which follows Marxism.

BoG's Score: 8 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Sculptured House" did influence a design in the movie. The house's elevator became the model for the Orgasmatron Booth. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This I did NOT know . . . Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: