ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983) Reply with quote

This is actually not a bad little space adventure movie, with Peter Strauss and Ernie Hudson as the two gun-slinging adventurers for hire and Molly Ringwald as the feisty gal who joins forces with them. They battle a bizarre tyrant on a barren planet who holds three hostages, rich and beautiful girls who crash-land in an escape pod.

The rousing music is by legendary composer Elmer Bernstein, the man who gave us great scores for films like "The Ten Commandments".

Enjoy it here from Youtube. Great stuff!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the music at the link above gets you in the mood to watch the movie, enjoy this trailer from YouTube. I can't find a download of the full movie.

~ The Space Children (1958)
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, Paramount was looking to make this a franchise series, but then changed their mind and slashed the budget after production started.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soundtrack music by the great Elmer Bernstein for this movie is pretty good, and here's the complete end credit music, played over a nice montage of scenes from the film.

Enjoy!
_

______________ Elmer Bernstein - End Credits

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things I remember reading about the movie. Peter Strauss said that you had to be careful in the Scrambler truck, it was full of sharp edges that would cut you. The steam plow truck kept breaking down, and they used the Scrambler to push it around in a couple of scenes. The Fatmen are the result of a typo. They were originally suppose to be Batmen, but the letter that was given to the costume makers read Fatmen. It was a bit of a surprise when the costumes were delivered. Personally, I think the Fatmen gave it a more surreal air.

I read just this week that the "Brainstorm" tape machines were borrowed for some scenes in the movie. Both movies were being filmed at the same time at adjoining soundstages. I have to admit that it has been years since I have seen the movie, but I don't remember any tape machines in the movie. Maybe in the background?

The movie does unique have designs for the ships, sets and props.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ A number of the film's screenwriters were writers from Marvel Comics.

Note from me: From comic books to movie screenplays. That's quite a drastic change!

~ This science-fiction film was first released stateside on 20 May 1983, just about one week before the debut of the highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), that was launched on 25 May 1983.

This was a carefully timed strategy, that aimed at scheduling the film to be released just ahead of the third "Star Wars" movie, when the hype for new science-fiction stories was at its peak.

Note from me: I'm not sure that was such a good idea. See two sci-fi movies in a short period of time tends to invite the viewers to compare them. Space Hunter might not have compared well to Return of the Jedi.

~ Executive Producer Ivan Reitman labeled this movie "a space adventure with a sense of humor".

Note from me: That may be true, but I'm sure the humor was especially successful in this film. Sad

~ The "tape machines" were on loan from Brainstorm (1983), which was being filmed on an adjacent set.

Note from me: Those brain recording machines where marvelous, and I read the wide tape with silver strip was actually decorative ribbons for wrapping gifts!

~ [Due to 3D projection requiring silver screens, cinemas and drive-ins which only had white screens showed the movie in 2D, so as such, the picture rolled out in both 2D and 3D formats, as well as in 70mm in select locations./color]

Note from me: I didn't know that the 3D used with this movie required a certain kind of screen.

[color=darkblue]~ Publicity for this picture declared that it was the first 3D space adventure since It Came from Outer Space (1953) which had been made and released about thirty years earlier.

In fact, another 3D sci-fi film was released later in the same year "Spacehunter" debuted, that was Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (1983).

Note from me: I've never seen Metalstorm. I wonder if it's worth watching. Confused

~ When Wolff wakes Chalmers, she has been reading a copy of R.U.R. in her bed. This is the famous 1920 science fiction play which first introduced the word "robot". This presages the fact that Chalmers is later revealed to be an android.

Note from me: That open seen with hero and his "girl friend" is pretty good. Very Happy

Enjoy the video below. My oh my, they certainly didn't skimp on the pyrotechnics in the climax! Shocked

_ Wolff Rescues Niki From Overdog | Spacehunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: