ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) Reply with quote

There's certainly no shortage of colorful characters in this equally colorful tale of adventure, romance, and world conquest.

Sean Connery leads an all-star cast on a whirlwind tour of the globe, spanning several continents in a variety of remarkable steampunk vehicles.

I like everything about it except the weird scenes on the upper deck of the Nautilus which were shot on a fixed set right on the beach, so the ocean could serve as the background.

That's all well and good, but the film frequently cuts to wide shots that show the submarine racing along the surface at about 60 mph, and then right back to closeups of the people on the deck. The motionless ocean in the background becomes an unintentional joke. ("Hey, they stopped!" — "Hey, they're going again!")

This is one of those movies with glaring flaws that mar the viewing experience the first time you see it, but after you've decided to forgive it for lapses in intelligence you enjoy the hell out of it when viewed again later.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the whole steampunk aspect of this movie. Loved the vehicles. Wave issued kits of both the Nemo-mobile and the Nautilus:

Both are out of production now.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn fun movie. Fantastic to see all these legendary characters assembled as a superhero team on an adventure.

Yes, huge liberties were taken with this film compared to the astounding & highly praised graphic novel. And the Nautilus should not be the size of an aircraft carrier & then able to navigate the narrow canals of Venice.

Mr. Hyde is the Hulk — which is totally unlike his description in the classic RLS novel. But it remains an enjoyable film.

Loved to have seen some sequels with new members such as Lord Greystoke join up.

Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Darn fun movie. Fantastic to see all these legendary characters assembled as a superhero team on an adventure.

Yes, huge liberties were taken with this film compared to the astounding & highly praised graphic novel. And the Nautilus should not be the size of an aircraft carrier & then able to navigate the narrow canals of Venice.

Mr. Hyde is the Hulk — which is totally unlike his description in the classic RLS novel. But it remains an enjoyable film.

Loved to have seen some sequels with new members such as Lord Greystoke join up.

Agree with all of the above.

I've not read the graphic novels, so I don't know if Captain Nemo looks as he did in the film; but was he drawn/written as wearing a turban and fighting like a whirling dervish? I confess I was somewhat taken aback seeing him portrayed as a scimitar wielding Sikh having grown up as a fan of James Mason's Nemo in Disney's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea adaptation of Jules Verne's novel.

Actually though, having also read Jules Verne's novel, I am reminded that he was originally written as being descended from an Indian Raja so perhaps the version of Nemo in LOEG is more true to the original character than Disney's.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekriffic wrote:
Actually though, having also read Jules Verne's novel, I am reminded that he was originally written as being descended from an Indian Raja so perhaps the version of Nemo in LOEG is more true to the original character than Disney's.

Verne's original version of Nemo was never published. He was originally written as being Polish and the "Hated Nation" was Russia, but Verne's publisher didn't want to alienate any potential markets. So Verne removed all references to Nemo's heritage and came up with the Indian origins by the time he wrote Mysterious Island.

WayneO
-----------
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
trekriffic wrote:

Verne's original version of Nemo was never published. He was originally written as being Polish and the "Hated Nation" was Russia, but Verne's publisher didn't want to alienate any potential markets. So Verne removed all references to Nemo's heritage and came up with the Indian origins by the time he wrote Mysterious Island.

Ahhhhh. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
________
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was about the only person who didn't despise this movie. It had obvious technical flaws, but I thought it was kind of fun. I think it must be about the last time Sean Connery ever starred in a heroic lead, too. I recall from an interview at the time of LOEG's release him saying something to the effect that he'd turned down Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings because he didn't understand them. He didn't understand this one either, really, but apparently took it because he was missing out on everything. I thought he came off well in it, though.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the excellent graphic novels, Fu Man Chu is the villain, not Professor Moriarty.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have battled Fu in the sequel if enough people had ponied up the price of a theater ticket and dangled the money carrot in front of the folks who made the movie.

Ah well . . .

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 16, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
They could have battled Fu in the sequel if enough people had ponied up the price of a theater ticket and dangled the money carrot in front of the folks who made the movie.

Ah well . . .

Oh no they wouldn't. Using The Yellow Peril as the villain is very un-PC, and would get you protests.

Much like saying "The Yellow Peril".

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If James Mason had been unavailable to portray Captain Nemo in the Disney movie, I always thought that one of my very favorite actors, Errol Flynn, would have done a terrific job in that role.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . . . not sure that would have worked for me. Flynn was always best when he was lighthearted and charming. The brooding emotional pain of Captain Nemo doesn't seem to fit well with that.

But for the life of me, I can't think of a single actor to suggest as an alternative for Captain Nemo. Somebody help me out here!
Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to respectfully disagree regarding Errol. He'd have made a great Nemo.

Flynn was a fine actor that Warner Brothers never fully utilized. He was promoted as the romantic swashbuckler hero. That's what made the studio money, so they were fixed on only allowing Flynn to essay those kind of roles with only rare excursions into comedy or any parts with more depth.

Other possible Nemos: Vincent Price, Ronald Coleman, Frederick March, Spencer Tracy, Tyrone Power.
Krel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that when the movie came out, a reviewer pointed out that Tom Sawyer would have actually been older than Alan Quartermain.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
. . . Other possible Nemos: Vincent Price, Ronald Colman, Frederick March, Spencer Tracy, Tyrone Power.

Vincent Price did essentially play Nemo in 1961's Master of the World — except that the character was called Robur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: